How I Wear My: Skirt

How I Wear My: Skirt

Welcome to the 30th edition of How I Wear My!

Spring is here! It has been so nice to enjoy slightly warmer weather and to remember that we have legs that might like to see daylight once again so Jill of Everything Just So and I thought we’d devote April’s “How I Wear My” to that very versatile wardrobe item, the skirt.

As always, I’m starting things off with my HIWM partner, Jill who has this to say about her skirt look:

“I’m wearing a black J. Crew pencil skirt, which I picked on purpose because I did not want to compete with men in kilts! These guys are the Knights of Columbus Pipes and Drums band that marched in the St. Patrick’s Day parade here in Park Slope. I love that the drummer has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-jill

Sue of A Colorful Canvas says:

“This skirt and top was my first attempt at the pastel trend.   I keep coming back to this pleated skirt silhouette that I first sewed in May of last year.”

Once you find a skirt style that you feel and look great in, why not add a few more?

how-i-wear-my-skirt-sue

Heather of Style Mind Chic says this about her black maxi skirt:

“I selected this silky maxi skirt, from Target, and paired it with my Trina Turk neon sweater and a Trina Turk classic bangle. This skirt is the perfect blend of stylish comfort and it was just right for dinner out in Los Cabos, Mexico, last month.”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-heather

Dawn Lucy of Fashion Should Be Fun also wears a maxi, only striped and has this to say about her skirt look:

“This is a casual look, with a black and white stripe maxi skirt, paired with a white tee and denim jacket.  I went with boots to dress up the look a bit, though it would look great with sandals in warm weather.  I added a pop of color with my red purse!”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-dawn

Sheree of It’s Not That Deep has this to say about her skirt:

“This is a full vintage skirt that got me at the pockets. I modernized it up with a mesh top and open back booties.”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-sheree

Trina of Tea Time with Trina tells us:

“I really wanted to invest in a new pleated skirt this season but one that could be worn in a variety of ways. When I saw this little number I just knew it was the one. Here I have dressed it up with pearls and lace.” See Trina’s second look on Jill’s blog.

how-i-wear-my-skirt-trina

Nicole of High Latitude Style tells us:

“I love the classic cut of this pencil skirt and the edgy touch the material puts to it. Here I styled it classic with a cardigan and a sweater. In contrast to Mademoiselle I wore the sweater over the cardigan.” How clever!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-nicole

Amy of Denim and Dots says:

“I found this red maxi skirt on clearance at Nordstrom and it has become one of my favorite items in my closet. I can dress it down with a basic tank and denim jacket, or dress it up with a blouse and fancy accessories. Can’t wait for some warmer weather to pull it out for this season!”

AmySkirt

Jan of Fort Smith Stylista is so obsessed with midi skirts, she decided to make her own with inspiration from Sue of A Colorful Canvas. She wore her beautiful deep pink skirt with an ivory top and a gorgeous statement necklace. Simple elegance!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-jan

Helen of Valley of the Shoes has some fun with spring weather by wearing a flirty fit & flare ponte skirt, double the stripes with a striped tee and scarf and her new Nikes. She says she’s obsessed with sneakers and the pop of neon orange.

I say this is Sneaker Chic at its best!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-valley-of-shoes

Tamera of Tamera Beardsley tells us:

“I am having some major maxi skirt love right now!  I love pairing maxi skirts with anklet collections, worn together they work perfectly for a sunset beach walk as well as dinner and cocktails in town! Maxi skirts and anklets make for the perfect mix of modern coastal glam!”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-tamera

Tori, my stepdaughter wears a cropped camisole with her Urban Outfitters tribal print skirt. The moment I saw her in it, I had to get a photo for How I Wear My: Skirt. It’s such a stylish skirt look!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-tori

Suzanne of Suzanne Carillo Style Files shows us that pencil skirts can be fun and flirty with this Anthropologie hearts skirt.

how-i-wear-my-skirt-suzanne

Cheryl of Northwest Mountain Living says:

“This skirt is as comfy as jeans and fun to wear. It is a denim pencil skirt by Leona Women bought online. The top is by Gretty Zueger bought at a boutique called Mountain Monkey Business in McCall, ID. The shoes are Kenneth Cole Reaction purchased at Marshalls. I have on a Michael Kors watch and a silver bangle bought in Mazatlan, MX at an amazing jewelry shop where I have bought a lot of beautiful pieces over the years. The necklace was purchased at my favorite consignment store called Again Consignment.” Beautiful and crisp looking!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-cheryl

Malia of Style by Malia let me use this fun photo she had taken recently by Mariah Smith Photography (who I will be telling you more about on Monday!). Malia had this photo done for a promotion she’s working on. I thought the photo was so fun and girlie, I just had to have it on How I Wear My: Skirt!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-malia

Silk Path Diary says:

“Well-cut skirts in a decent fabric are my goals and I’ve built up a few over the years – either straight or flared to the knee. This white linen mix skirt is unbranded, found by chance on eBay for a very little and has become another favorite. I’d love to have it copied in other colours and fabrics!”

how-i-wear-my-skirt-spd

Merci Jowi of  Chic on Thrift repurposed her skirt and styled it with a white tee shirt and sleeveless button down. She knows it is a winning skirt outfit because her father told her how smart she looks!

how-i-wear-my-skirt-merci-jowi

Ana of Mrs. American Made has this to tell us about her skirt look:

“This seems to be how I wear my skirts – short and black, often with dark tights. Here I have a pleated black skirt by Nanette Lepore with a sleeveless floral shell by Trina Turk, patterned tights and shoes by GentryDowney. All made in USA. The belt is thrifted and my son punched extra holes in it for me.”
how-i-wear-my-skirt-ana

Cynthia of My Rose Colored Shades tell us:

“I love this versatile striped skirt that I used as the feature to come up with two different takes on the nautical theme.” (See the other look on Jill’s blog).

how-i-wear-my-skirt-cynthia

Out of the handful of skirts that I own, this Banana Republic berry colored skirt is my favorite. I bought it a couple of years ago to attend a wedding. For this look, I decided to stay in the same color range and concentrate on the purplish hue of my skirt by wearing a lilac sweater.

how-i-wear-my-skirt-adrienne

I kept my shoes neutral and made a statement instead with my necklace that I bought last summer and wore for How I Wear My: Neon.

how-i-wear-my-skirt-adrienne-close

For May we are going to focus on footwear, specifically sneakers! Can you find a way to make them part of a fashion statement? If yes, please join us for “How I Wear My: Sneakers” by sending a photo to [email protected] by May 5, 2014.

How-I-Wear-My

A big thanks to all the participants for sharing with us how they wear their skirts.

Please don’t forget to stop by Jill’s blog, Everything Just So

to see even more fantastic skirt looks!

1. liz
    April 2, 2014 / 6:24 am

“How I Wear My:” is a cute concept and something all those mags haven’t thought of. Loving everybody and especially the tulle.

April 2, 2014 / 6:30 am

Isn’t Malia’s tulle skirt look adorable?
      Glad you like the series! Jill and I are on our third year of HIWM. We love seeing everyone’s submissions. Join us sometime. You don’t need a blog to participate.

2. April 2, 2014 / 7:29 am

Love all these skirt looks, so creative! Maxi’s are still everywhere, some of my favs. I sent in a picture on Monday to the howiwearmy email address, maybe it didn’t make it there for some reason. Happy Hump Day!

April 2, 2014 / 8:02 am

So sorry, Amy! You’re in the post now. Love your beautiful maxi skirt!

3. April 2, 2014 / 8:07 am

Now that’s what I call a skirt party! So many skirts to love in this one, I really love the range of looks here. Wow! XO, Jill

4. April 2, 2014 / 8:28 am

Wow, Adrienne! Dynamite skirt on you, as always! Showing those great legs to their best advantage. Isn’t pink nice to see around again?
    Thank you so much for your collaboration with Jill on “How I Wear My,” bringing us the opportunity to come out to play. Lots of fun! Thank you for being a great hostess.

5. April 2, 2014 / 9:02 am

I’m with Sheree…I love skirts with pockets!

Everyone looks so fabulous in their skirts! These How I Wear My posts give me so much inspiration on ways to change up a look, or new outfits to sew! Thanks Adrienne, you are the hostess with the mostest in your raspberry skirt today!

Malia is adorable in tulle, and Helen is looking fabulous in her sneaker chic look. Giving me some ideas for next month!

6. Thanks so much to you and Jill for letting me join in on the HIWM fun! I am seriously loving all the variety of skirts in this post. I think I need a maxi skirt now based in the inspiration here. Adrienne, the berry/lilac color palette is so pretty on you. I’m loving your neon statement necklace too.

7. April 2, 2014 / 10:41 am

So many great looks here! And, as a new blogger, I’m happy to be introduced to so many stylish women! Am off to check out their blogs. Thanks Adrienne!

8. April 2, 2014 / 4:09 pm

Oh how I love a tulle skirt! So much wonderful inspiration here. I have to say though that Nicole’s outfit made my jaw drop. The combo of colours and the sleek lines are so striking.

Sue in her pretty pastels really stood out too. She is like a ray of sunshine and you both look lovely in pink.

Thanks for including me.

bisous
    Suzanne

9. April 2, 2014 / 5:43 pm

Hi Adrienne-As I’m looking over this collection of fun skirts I’m realizing how versatile the skirt can be. From pastel sweet to edgy and everywhere in between. There are some fun looks here and I’d be hard pressed to pick a fave. I look forward to this series each month. My thanks to stylish you and stylish Jill for hosting. Maybe I’ll bring a maxi along to #bloggers in wine country…..just thinking.
    xx, Heath

10. April 2, 2014 / 11:21 pm

Adrienne, Great post. Loved all the girls and their looks. Agree Malia is adorable. I like your pink! Thanks to both of you for doing this! xx Kim

11. Shelly Gregory
    April 3, 2014 / 6:08 am

Fabulous! Everyone looks just fabulous! So much inspiration–every color, length, style–each look created from personality. Just wear what feels great, and natural!

12. April 3, 2014 / 12:14 pm

I can’t believe I missed the “skirt” issue of HIWM. Kind of bummed. I am wanting to wear skirts more often but casually so I really like Helen’s outfit idea. So cute! Everyone looks great!

13. April 3, 2014 / 1:04 pm

Everyone looks gorgeous and I loved all the colors and styles of skirts! As I was saying to Jill, I love this series and look forward to all the various ladies being generous enough to share! X

14. Chrissy
    April 3, 2014 / 5:05 pm

Love all the skirts! Everybody looks amazing!

April 3, 2014 / 5:34 pm

Love this post – I was very curious about it before, as I don’t even own one skirt. I find them hard to style, but so many great looks here. Particularly love the sneakers with the skirt and striped top.

16. April 3, 2014 / 7:18 pm

Another fun month of inspirations. Love all the different and unique ways of wearing skirts. It’s just so much fun to see all the different persnalities come out, but my all time favorite is Mariah’s photo and white tulle skirt with hot pink. What a glam, and all around fun lady. Thank you Adrienne for the time you spent putting this together.

17. April 4, 2014 / 10:34 am

Another fabulous round up Adrienne! I do think they get better and better each month! I absolutely adore Shere’s vintage skirt, styled as she always does … to utter perfection! Mrs’ American Made is such a master at knowing her own body and her fierce skill at working proportions … I would never know she was petite if she didn’t say so! Jill is the epitome of NYC chic in black boots and skirt! And you my dear, look absolutely radiant in the beautiful shades of lilac!

I can’t believe it is only a little over a week now until our Napa adventure! Thank you again Adrienne for all of your work on behalf of this, sure to be stellar trip!

xoxo
    Tamera

18. April 6, 2014 / 9:05 am

Adrienne, I always look forward to these posts to see how others interpret the items. Seems like I am so set in my ways sometimes that it is great to see other options on how to style things in my closet. Lots of inspiration here. Thank you and Jill, as always, for putting together these posts and for sharing how you wear your skirt! Your pink (radiant rose) skirt is gorgeous and fits beautifully. : ) Ana

19. Alice
    April 17, 2014 / 1:42 pm

This “How I Wear My:” concept is so brilliant! Everyone looks fabulous. Glad that I found this blog. I’m inspired 😉

americanfashionfox