Comfort Sandal Trend

Comfort Sandal Trend

One of my friends in college used to tell me when I complained of the discomfort of getting my lip waxed, whined about the blisters on my baby toes from ill-fitting pointy-toed pumps and moaned about stomach pain from my too-tight support hose, “Pain for beauty!” We would laugh and I would quit grumbling, satisfied that my discomfort was well-worth the price of being on-trend and looking my best. We both knew it was a joke but we also knew there was an element in truth to what she said.

Often the things we wear to look stylish or thin or sexy are anything but comfortable. Have you ever worn a comfortable bustier? How about a really great feeling pair of stilettos? And then there is support wear. To me, wearing an effective girdle is a form of slow torture for vanity’s sake.

How exciting that in our modern world of fashion, comfort is finally stylish! I am especially excited about the comfort sandal trend for spring and summer.

Suddenly, Birkenstocks are now “hip” rather than “hippie”. Designers are even showing them on Paris runways and WWD has named Birkenstock the 2014 Brand of the Year!

Near our local Whole Foods in Santa Rosa is a Birkenstock Heritage store, one of only about 25 such shops in the country. I decided to take a look around recently and see about trying on a pair of Birkenstocks.  I never thought I would be a Birkenstock owner. Ever. Clunky, practical footwear was never my thing. But these days, I am easily swayed by fashion trends when they include comfort!

I tried on about a dozen shoes, finally vacillating for about an hour between the thong-style Gizeh Birkenstocks and these Arizonas, deciding on the latter in Mocha suede.

Birkenstock-arizona

I wore them to the Sonoma coast Sunday with my husband. We did a little hiking, walked on the beach with our dogs and I enjoyed the entire day in comfort!

at-the-coast

With my Arizona’s, I wore a pair of Gap olive khakis, a Free People cardigan sweater, my Panama hat from Montecristi Panama Hats in Napa Valley and a simple black tee shirt.

birkenstock2

And Saturday, I wore them with distressed Gap boyfriend jeans and an Everlane tee.  These Birks suit my casual lifestyle and make errand running and unwinding on the weekends much more comfortable.

birkenstocks3

While I was at the Birkenstock shop, the helpful and knowledgeable salesperson showed me her favorite pair of sandals, these Romika Florida wedges. She said they were by far the most comfortable sandals she has ever owned. I was intrigued so I decided it wouldn’t hurt to try on a pair.

Romika

Sold! They are THE most comfortable shoes I have ever had on my feet. They are like walking on pillows. They have amazing support and cushion plus, if you’re looking for height these sandals deliver. They come in black, orange and red, and hot pink too.

birkenstock1

Although I will still wear my glamorous but not very comfortable heels for short periods – out on a date or to a party – I prefer to treat my feet nicely and am embracing this latest comfort sandal trend wholeheartedly!

Are you wearing comfort sandals like Birkenstocks or another brand this season?

How do you feel about being uncomfortable in order to look stylish or sexy or thin?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Be sure to check out the fashionable round-up at Visible Monday today….

Visible-Monday-Logo-Public

and don’t forget that How I Wear My: Pastel is coming up on June 4th. The deadline for submission is June 2nd. Send your photo along with a brief description of your pastel look to howiwearmy (at) yahoo.com to be featured!

How I Wear My Badge

I am linking up with Judith’s Hat Attack today.

Be sure to check out all the fabulous headwear on Style Crone!

Make it a rich day!

1. May 19, 2014 / 10:52 am

I love my Birkies (I wear Gizehs). You look wonderful, relaxed and happy. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday! xox

May 19, 2014 / 12:03 pm

I almost bought the Gizehs, Patti. So close. I may still get a pair in a sand color – more neutral for summer.

2. May 19, 2014 / 12:01 pm

I actually tried to purchase a pair of these and the hub was making fun of them! But now I think I might just have to go out and get them… I thought they were comfortable, but he was just not too pleased with how they looked.

May 19, 2014 / 12:05 pm

Nikki,

I thought FOR SURE my husband would hate them and he actually thinks they’re okay. I was surprised. I think he likes knowing I won’t be complaining about painful feet like I do in some of my heels!

3. May 19, 2014 / 12:06 pm

I had to give up heels when I had bunion surgery and at first I was sad…but there are now so many fun flats that I really don’t miss them and feel just as fabulous! We wear a lot of sandals in Texas…especially in the summer!

May 19, 2014 / 12:13 pm

There are so many fun flat sandals out there these days. I still like to wear a heel now and then but it really has to be a special occasion – date night, party, professional engagement.
      We were lots of sandals here, too. I still love a regular old flip flop also.

4. May 19, 2014 / 1:22 pm

I was very hesitant about Birks, but I tried on a pair at Nordstrom Rack. The footbed was uncomfortable under my toes by just trying them on. So, it was no go for me. I find most of my sandals are comfortable since there’s usually an adjustable ankle strap.

May 19, 2014 / 1:50 pm

I’ve never given up Birkenstocks since college – so glad to know I’m trendy. I have about 3 pairs right now, but just ordered a pair of Arizona’s with the new soft footbed in a taupe suede. I love them on you, and I love the Romikas too. Yes, there are times I’m willing to wear horrible inventions like Spanx to look my very best, but not for everyday, and actually, I think when you’re comfortable, you really look your best. The photo of you in your BF jeans and the Birks is one of your best photos ever!

6. May 19, 2014 / 2:01 pm

Love the Birkenstocks! Just pulled mine out and dusted them off. Love it that they are back in fashion. stylenudge.com

7. May 19, 2014 / 2:24 pm

I love that Birkenstocks are back in style! I’ve worn them for years — I find them to be so incredibly comfortable. I also really like the Romika wedges that you got. So cute!

8. May 19, 2014 / 2:40 pm

I still have a pair of birkenstocks from ages ago that look like new so I’m just thrilled they are the ‘in’ thing this year. I just love the fact that comfort can take over style for once. You made both of these fun sandals look effortlessly stylish. Isn’t it amazing how much energy you have when your feet are comfortable?

9. May 19, 2014 / 4:44 pm

I’ve worn Birkenstocks for years and love wearing them, even before the Olsens made them cool.

I have the Arizonas as my house slippers, and the same pair as outside / traveling sandals.

I also owned the Gizeh sandals and hated the way they cut into my foot. The only other ones that are comfortable other than the Arizonas are the Mayaris.

Suede of course, is THE most comfortable leather in Birkenstocks. I love them.

10. May 19, 2014 / 5:05 pm

I don’t wear Birks, as they don’t really fit my foot that well, but I do wear comfortable shoes. Flats, cute sandals, even a cute pair of Naturalizers that fit and feel like gloves on my happy feet. I rarely wear heels at all any more except for the low-heeled boots that I love! Romika, Reiker and Seibel are foot-friendly even when they do have height. I am so much happier and move better when my feet are happy. Nice to see others taking care of their feet too.

11. May 19, 2014 / 8:29 pm

I am still not a fan of them and probably won’t join this trend. I liked how you paired with the fedora and drape sweater to keep it modern.

Alice
    www.happinessatmidife.com

12. Sharon C
    May 19, 2014 / 8:58 pm

Yeah! I’m so happy they’re back again. I’m going to check out the platform version too!

13. Cyndia
    May 19, 2014 / 9:52 pm

I have been wearing Birkenstocks for over 20 years. Years of working retail in heels destroyed my knees and feet. Now I wear what is comfortable. I probably have a dozen pairs of Birkenstocks and will buy more as I find new styles and colors. Is rather be comfortable than not and I will not deliberately put myself in pain ever again with silly shoes.

14. May 19, 2014 / 11:25 pm

I still have my pair of white Birks but the last time I used them was in college! That was around 20 years ago so they might crumble apart if I wear them. My mother lovingly stores them though.

I used to wear them with or without socks. I’m hearing them often these days and see them a lot too. I’m not sure I will jump on the trend. I often use a pair of Merrell and Coleman sandals for walking and they’re still in great condition so the practical gene in me is saying “wait for it in your fave thrift store in six months!”.

– Karen
    www.MrsLookingGood.com

15. Sheila
    May 20, 2014 / 3:50 am

Used to wear them back in the day and am tempted to buy some this summer. Here in the uk we have a brand called fit flops which I’ve worn for the last three years come summer. They are really comfy and claim to tone your legs bonus!

16. May 20, 2014 / 8:18 am

Really cute – love the wedges! May have to try a pair.

17. May 20, 2014 / 8:47 am

Well, you and that MS.BEARDSLEY are way a head of me!I haven’t done the BIRK shoe yet!I do go for comfort always…………but I just cannot bring myself to do those buckle shoes yet!Perhaps, because there are too many people running around in them and the toes haven’t been thought of in YEARS!I do not know why but I am certain I will get there and say , “what took me so long!”You look GREAT in anything YOU put on so you have no worries there……………

18. Lori Allen
    May 20, 2014 / 12:53 pm

Birkenstocks aren’t really my thing but probably 15 yrs ago found tivas. Strap Tivas for hiking, creek exploring and white water rafting or paddling, wedge flip flops for dressier. Priorities only changed slightly as I’ve gotten older, always brave for comfort!

19. Iveta
    May 20, 2014 / 4:49 pm

First of all: you look fantastic in everything and can rock even Birkenstocks, which I own and love for the comfort, but am often not sure of wearing in the city – unfortunately, I spend most time there:)
    But I love the Romika wedges and as soon as I saw them, wanted to get those – the ones you have are black or grey? There is grey/lavender combo availablebut I was not sure if it is going to look as good in person. The ones you have are perfect – somewhat rugged, yet with girly charm.

20. May 21, 2014 / 12:16 am

This post made me smile!!! I, like you never thought I would wear those ‘hippie’ sandals and as yet I haven’t but I must admit the older I get the more I am tempted!! For most of my life I have worn the latest style shoes and my motto has always been ….’It doesn’t matter how much your shoes hurt as long as they look good’ but I can ‘feel’ myself slightly wavering! It must mean I’m finally growing up …or old!!
    Suzyq

21. Gene
    May 21, 2014 / 9:22 am

Your sandals are great. But, this post makes me a bit sad for two reasons. One, how sad that so many women routinely allow their feet and bodies to hurt in the name of fashion and appearance. It’s a little tragic that we find it a revelation to go a day of casual beach activity without our feet hurting. Ladies, this should be the norm! (I’ve been guilty of abusing my body, too!) Listen to your bodies and appreciate them enough to almost always choose comfort over pain. Second, it’s also sad that trends work in this way. So many people bash Birkenstocks. And then suddenly a core, insider group in the fashion world makes the random declaration that they are now “fashionable” and people run to buy them. Think about how very strange that is. Please let’s all wear what we want and like and what makes our bodies feel good. Be wary of letting media and a few influences in the fashion world have that much control over how you think and what you wear. .

May 21, 2014 / 9:27 am

Hi Gene,

Totally agree with you on both points. I agree with wearing what we want to and not abusing our bodies with ill-fitting clothes and footwear. I do want to thank media for leading me in the direction of Birkenstocks instead of 5″ stilettos for a change! I’m not sure I would have ever bought a pair. As a fashion blogger, I do like to keep up on current trends so I guess I am one of those people easily influenced by the fashion world. But it gives me a chance to open myself up to new styles.

• Gene
        May 21, 2014 / 9:40 am

Good point. Yes, it is good when the fashion industry/media lead toward comfort and health rather than 5-inch heels! Something for which to be grateful. However, the industry will be back to leading us to 5-inch heels faster than we can break in our Birkenstocks! Trends in all things (color, shoe height, pant length, etc) arbitrarily change all the time to make sure that women keep buying new things. Though I’m far from perfect at this, it’s beneficial in so many ways to try to block out trends and fads as a way to preserve one’s mental health, physical health and finances.

22. Kerrie
    May 22, 2014 / 12:43 am

I have been wearing Birkenstocks for almost 30 yrs. i love them and they go with my California boho style. I have had many colors and styles but Arizona is my favorite. I bought the tobacco leather and white birko- floro for summer. In the winter I live in my boston clog style in natural or grey. They not only provide comfort for my feet but my back never hurts. They are the best shoe durring pregnancy too!

23. May 25, 2014 / 1:04 pm

Those wedges are cute. I like comfort, but you already knew that. 🙂

24. June 2, 2014 / 6:14 am

“Walking on pillows” sounds like a wonderful sensation! And you look fabulous in your Birkenstocks and in your glorious Panama hat. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

25. Pingback: FootTalk