How I Wear My: Pastel

Welcome to How I Wear My: Pastel, the 32nd installment in the How I Wear My series!

Who can resist the sugary-sweet shades of pastel colors this time of year? With gardens and parks in full spring bloom it seems instinctive to want to take a page from Mother Nature’s book and put those lovely pale colors on our own backs, so Jill and I decided to devote this month’s “How I Wear My” to pastels.

What an excellent turnout this month! We have several new participants, some you may recognize from their well-established blogs and some who are very new to the blogging world. There is a wide variety of pastel outfits to peruse, too, so grab a mug of coffee, cup of tea or a glass of wine and enjoy!

I’m starting things off as usual with my HIWM partner, Jill of Everything Just So who is looking pretty in pastel posing in front of this vintage 1964 Volvo 122 S (as identified by my friend John) in Brooklyn. It’s a great backdrop for her vintage looking dress by eShakti and lilac Jackie cardigan from J. Crew.

Jill

Next we have Deborah of Fabulous After 40 who has this to say about her pastel look:

“I love anything peach. It’s so fresh, and it makes my skin glow. That’s why I bought this this pastel peach, striped top from Ann Taylor. It’s got a nautical feel and looks very sporty and summery when I wear it with my favorite white, skinny jeans from Eli Tahari.  I’m also wearing a Zara tuxedo jacket. I like the way the deep peach enhances the pastel shade. It’s also a nice contrast against the crisp white. My gold braid wedge sandals are from Michael Kors.”

Deborah is glowing in this look!

Deborah

Sue of A Colourful Canvas is wearing pastel blue palazzo pants with a matching pastel blue top in an attempt to create a longer silhouette, she says. Sue sewed both pieces from Vogue patterns. She is such a talented seamstress and I love this summery pastel look on her!

Sue

Alice of Happiness at Mid-Life looks feminine and edgy at the same time in this pink pastel swing skirt from H & M and leopard and black lace top from Ann Taylor. It’s a great date-night look!

Alice

Dawn Lucy of Fashion Should Be Fun tells us:

“Pastels are so pretty, but they don’t go well with my coloring, so I use them just as accents. In this ready-for-summer look, my beachy crochet top has a minty seafoam green dip dye bottom. I wore a matching camisole underneath, as well as distressed skinny jeans, and gladiator sandals. P.S. – Smart California girls wear hats to protect their skin!”

A stylish and effortless pastel look, great for summertime!

Dawn Lucy

Linda of A Labour of Life wears floral pants from Winners and a pastel pink cardigan from Joe Fresh. The oxfords are from Shoe Dazzle. This is a darling casual and fresh look for spring or summer.

Ana of Mrs. American Made shows us a feminine and casual outfit with a mint green Collective Concepts sleeveless top and Bullet Blue jeans, all made in U.S.A , shown here with a suede tote that she made herself. Ana never ceases to surprise us with her many talents!

Ana

Trina of Tea Time With Trina says this about her pastel look:

“This is a go-to outfit I wear for lots of different occasions, from dinner dates to lunch with girlfriends to a day of shopping. I just change out the shoes. It’s perfect paired with my oversize baby pink sun hat which I can easily remove without having hat hair.”

I love Trina’s pastel glamour!

Trina

Nora of Jacket Society is new to the blogging world. She says, “I have a web site where I sell my jackets (that I design) and blog about how I would wear them or how I would wear any jacket, since I love jackets. I am submitting my picture from last weekend where I am wearing my Avery jacket in a pale powder blue which can be considered a pastel.”

Such a chic and fashion-forward pastel look!

Nora

Cherie of Style Nudge tells us:

“When I saw your theme I new it would be a challenge because I don’t wear a lot of pastels. I dug through my closet and found this J.Crew halter top dress that I haven’t worn in a couple of years. I had forgotten how much fun it is to wear. It’s amazing what one item of clothing can do to transform the way you feel.”

What a gorgeous dress. Perfect for a summer party or out to lunch with friends!

Cherie

Jaime of Take It or Leave It says that since she stopped coloring her hair she has become much more interested in pastels. Her entire outfit is second hand: pastel COS tee, Gap white jeans, Y-3 sneakers and a Furla bag. Sporty, current and vibrant!

How I wear my pastel

Cynthia of My Rose Colored Shades says this about pastels:

“I love pastels because they manage to be both refreshing and soothing at the same time. I always associate pastels with summer fun, ice cream and happy times.”

Me too, Cynthia!

Cynthia

Amy of Denim and Dots tells us:

“I picked this pastel yellow dress up at Zara recently and have already worn it twice with different accessories. I love the versatility of a basic shift. Yellow is a favorite of mine in many shades!”

Amy is glowing in pastel yellow!

Amy

Catherine of Not Dressed as Lamb color blocks with pastel in her Marks & Spencer trousers and TM Lewin blouse with a Peter Pan collar. I would have never thought about pairing pastels with electric blue but it works!

Catherine

Madeco of Au Fil Des Jours joins How I Wear My from Normandy, France and says:

“For this time (pastels), my choice is a top from Primark, found in London last summer. A bargain and a nice item to wear at the office. I love the pearls on the collar; then, I don’t have to add a necklace, it’s already there! I usually wear this top with black pants.”

Pastels and black often look so elegant together, as Madeco demonstrates here.

Madeco

Angie of You Look Fab makes peachy pastel look hip and chic by pairing her Zara asymmetrical top with white AG jeans, off-white Zara jacket and a pastel clutch. Such a gorgeous and sophisticated look!

Angie

Helen of Valley of the Shoes tells us:

“I am wearing my new lace drawstring pants in a cream color. I paired it with a pastel pink tank that has chiffon rosette flowers on the front panel. I wore my sandals in a light neutral color to complete the pastel color scheme. But I toughened up the look with my military jacket and grey camo scarf.”

I love the mix of feminine and pretty with tough and edgy. Great color palette, too!

Helen

Terry of Terry’s Two Cents shows us that pastels are not just for women. They can look stylish on men too. Terry wears Old Navy jeans, a pastel polo shirt by Nautica, Nike sneakers and a Michael Kors belt.

Terry

Sheree of It’s Not That Deep who is always at the forefront of street chic wears a pastel pink ASOS kimono with a thrifted asymmetrical tank with frayed edges, pants from Vince and Sam Edelman sandals.

Sheree

Faux Fuchsia likes to wear her pastels with bright colors and embellishments which I think is a great ideas! Here she is in pastel green beaded top with a pastel necklace and bright pink lipstick.

faux fuchsia

Teresa, wife of photographer Denton Taylor is showing us a pastel look incorporating darker colors and neutrals. Her lovely spring skirt is by Etro and she wears pink Prada shoes, bracelets from Iris Apfel, jacket by Dana Buchman and a red pocketbook that is very early Dooney & Bourke.

Teresa

Lana of Two Teens and Their Mamawho is brand new to blogging (welcome!) is wearing a casual mint shirt from Old Navy and cuffed jeans that she wore for Mother’s Day this year. Her 16-year-old bought her white Tom’s for her birthday, so she thought she would pair them with this look. What a sweet gift!

lana

Tiffany of Sunshine Daydream Photography tells us:

“A warm, sunshine filled afternoon is always a lovely time to break out the pastels! I wear my pastel blue Gap sweater with simple white cut off shorts paired with a white purse and heeled sandals to create a fresh, clean look for spring!”

Tiffany looks ready for a California summer with her layers and light colors!

Tiffany

For my pastel look, I chose a pastel green sweater from Gap that bought a couple of seasons ago. I wore it with my trusty four-year-old Banana Republic trench, Gap boyfriend jeans and Sam Edelman pumps. I finished off the look with a multi-colored statement necklace.

pastel-stand

The necklace is a recent gift from my friends at Mad Monkey Clothing. I left a comment that said “in love” on a photo of this necklace on their Instagram account and what arrived in the post several days later? This gorgeous trinket. What a wonderful surprise! Thank you, Grace and Livvie!

Pastel-sitting

Summertime, and the living is easy! Why don’t you join us in July for “How I Wear My: Summertime Picnic Look.” Whether it’s at the beach or on a verdant field of green grass, along a city waterfront or at a tailgate party outside a stadium, nothing says summer like a picnic and we’d love to see what you’d wear to one! Send your photos to howiwearmy@yahoo.com by June 30, 2014.

How I Wear My Badge

Thank you to all the participants of this month’s HIWM!

There are over a dozen more Pastel pretties over at Everything Just So.

Be sure to stop by and take a peek!

June 4, 2014 / 6:00 am

Great HIWM post, one of my favorites. Lots of great looks, where pastels don’t look too sugary sweet, and still have a bit of an edge.

June 4, 2014 / 10:08 am

One of my favorites, too. I love pastels but just don’t wear them that often. They are fun to play around with. I like to add a little edge to mine for sure! xo

2. Jill
    June 4, 2014 / 6:31 am

Oh there are so many great looks here, wow! I am especially crazy for Nora’s jacket. I do believe I will go check it out on her site. This HIWM seems especially cheerful with all these pastel shades, I must add a few more to my closet. XO, Jill

June 4, 2014 / 10:09 am

I love Nora’s entire look! Street chic at its best.
      This is such a cheerful post, you are so right! I think next month’s will be too. Thanks for another great month, Jill! xo

3. June 4, 2014 / 6:48 am

I love looking at all these great outfit ideas! Pastels are so on trend and I’m excited to find some new ways to wear them. Adrienne, loving your sweet mint green top edged up a bit with those fab rock stud Valentinos! Gorgeous! Excited for next month’s picnic look round up … how fun! Thanks for letting me be a part of HIWM!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

June 4, 2014 / 10:11 am

Thank you for participating. I love your California casual pastel look. And I have a think for ombre right now – so I am particularly loving that tank of yours.
      My “Valentinos” are actually Sam Edelmans. I call them “Valentinos on a budget” 😉 They are about 1/6th the cost.

4. June 4, 2014 / 7:06 am

All such great looks of wearing pastels. I used to hate wearing pastels because it washes me out but there’s some great ideas here on how to rock pastels.

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

June 4, 2014 / 10:13 am

Alice, your look makes me want to go out and get a pastel pink swing skirt. It looks so gorgeous on you, especially with the leopard and black lace. Really such a great look. Thank you for sharing it with HIWM!

5. June 4, 2014 / 7:50 am

Lots to see here today!
    Always love these group gatherings and find them inspiring….
    While I don’t wear many pastel shades I do appreciate the soft blush pinks for a feminine touch.
    What will your next theme post be about?

June 4, 2014 / 10:14 am

Next month is “Summertime Picnic Look” – hope you’ll join us!

6. June 4, 2014 / 7:58 am

I love going through everyone’s outfits and pastel color choices. It’s so much fun to look at each month and kudos to Jill and yourself for putting it all together!

June 4, 2014 / 10:15 am

So glad you enjoy it! It’s a labor of love but so worth it. I think the participants’ looks just keep getting better and better!

7. June 4, 2014 / 8:34 am

You were right, this month was so much fun and exciting to see. Each photo just made me smile even wider. Thank you kindly for letting me be part of HIWM. I must add, it was a good thing Cherie found her dress in the closet, that is a keeper! And, it’s always a bonus to have Terry join in the fun. It’s a great way to spark some inspiration. You are wearing my all time favorite pastel, mint green, to me it’s the timeless of all colors. Way to go on scoring the necklace, it does pay off to give out compliments.

June 4, 2014 / 10:17 am

Thank you for participating, Trina. Jill and I always enjoy seeing what you’ll submit.
      Isn’t Cherie’s dress so gorgeous? I would love to have that.
      The women of Mad Monkey Clothing are so sweet and generous. My wish is that they would open up a store here in Wine Country!

8. June 4, 2014 / 8:46 am

WOW! So much pastel eye candy today! Lots of new to me bloggers that I’m anxious to visit. And, it’s so nice to see Deb and Angie here too! Adrienne, I love the ease of your outfit…effortlessly chic, and perfect for a day of errands, or lunch with friends. You look pretty and comfortable!

June 4, 2014 / 10:18 am

Sue – you look so fantastic in your pastel blue suit look (may I call it a suit?). And I love the hat that you bought from Bella’s vintage shop. It’s perfect! Thank you ever so much for joining us this month. Hope to see you for July’s HIWM. It’s Summertime Picnic Look.

9. June 4, 2014 / 9:43 am

You look radiant in mint green, it’s so pretty with your skin and hair coloring. I’m digging you studded pumps, hot! Thanks so much for featuring my outfit, what a great group of chic outfits. Candy for the eyes!

June 4, 2014 / 10:19 am

Thank you, Helen. And thank you for participating. I really like your look, blending sweet with edgy. I find that so appealing these days!
      See you for HIWM: Summertime Picnic Look!

10. June 4, 2014 / 12:39 pm

You look beautiful Adrienne, and wear mint with the best of them. You are radiant. Thanks for including me in your pastel outfit roundup. xo

June 5, 2014 / 11:54 am

Angie,

Thank you so much for letting me use your gorgeous photo. I adore your style and am hoping you’ll return to How I Wear My again!
      A

11. June 4, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for including me in HIWM this month. I’m a newbie and just found your blog, but it is one of my favorites! I love everyone’s look and will go check out some new blogs. By the way, I can’t believe we are the same age – you are absolutely gorgeous!

June 5, 2014 / 11:58 am

Lana,

Thank you so much for joining HIWM this month.
      You are sweet to say what you did, but you don’t look anywhere near 46 yourself!
      A

12. June 4, 2014 / 1:07 pm

So many pretty and inspiring looks. My favourites are the yellow shift on Amy and the peach shift on Deborah.

bisous
    Suzanne

June 5, 2014 / 9:34 am

Amy is always radiant but the yellow sheath makes her glow! And Deborah looks so fresh – that is the word that immediately comes to mind when I look at her outfit. So great for summer.
      Thank you for joining us this month Suzanne. You look great in pastel pink!

13. Faux Fuchsia
    June 4, 2014 / 2:00 pm

thanks so much for including me! Everyone looks gorgeous x

June 5, 2014 / 9:33 am

Jill and I are thrilled you joined up with us, FF! xoxo

14. June 4, 2014 / 2:32 pm

Seeing all these pastels makes me so happy! Some real gorgeous looks here. Speaking of which, your top is just fueling my current obsession with mint. And love those sandals. They look like Valentinos.

June 5, 2014 / 12:11 pm

Thank you for joining us, Cynthia. I always look forward to seeing your outfits for HIWM.
      Pastels are such happy colors! So summery.
      My Sam Edelmans are my favorite shoes right now. I just love how edgy and cool they are. And they were a fraction of the price of Valentinos.

15. June 4, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Chicest group yet!! Adored these photos and all the fun ideas with pastels. I am excited to visit some of these new gals to blogging! I love your necklace. How nice and it’s so pretty with the mint color. I am sure you can wear it a lot this summer. Looking forward to sending you a photo from Hawaii for the next one.
    Thanks again for having this platform for everyone. So generous of you and Jill.
    xx Kim

June 5, 2014 / 12:13 pm

I agree! Chicest group ever. Thank you for joining us again. I always love when you bring out your fashion blogger side 😉
      Enjoy Hawaii! Aloha!
      xo, A

16. June 4, 2014 / 2:48 pm

Pastels had grown old and stale over the last few years, but the way everyone is wearing them here makes them seem fresh and exciting. Thanks for including me in this round-up, Adrienne. When I look at all these pretty hues I feel like a kid in an ice cream shop trying to choose my favorite flavor. They’re all gorgeous! Cheers, Deborah

June 5, 2014 / 12:12 pm

Thank you for joining us, Deborah! Your outfit was a big hit with the readers. Hope to see you again for another HIWM.

17. June 4, 2014 / 5:35 pm

Thank you so much for including me among all these lovely women and beautiful looks. I am new to blogging and this is my first time doing HIWM so I am looking forward to doing more of them. And you look beautiful in mint and I LOVE those shoes!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

June 5, 2014 / 7:55 am

Nora – thank you so much for joining us this month. I love your style – I feel like it’s what I strive to achieve – and think your jackets are fantastic!
      Please join us next month. I would love to see what you show us for Summertime Picnic Look!

18. Fashionista
    June 4, 2014 / 9:35 pm

Hello Adrienne. Thank you for your blog which I have been following for a little while. Your pictures are beautiful and I love that the “how I wear” series features lots of ladies of a certain age.

You may think it terribly impertinent of me, but I am visiting San Francisco in July (22-24) and I was wondering if I could glean from you some shopping and sight seeing tips. I am there for 48 hours only (en route to Las Vegas) and don’t want to waste a minute. My main hobbies are sewing, fashion and vintage fashion so anything along those lines would be great. So far google searches have not cut it with any decent detail! If you have a minute to shoot me some tips that would be great.

Thank you and have a lovely day.

June 5, 2014 / 7:54 am

Hi there!

How exciting that you’ll be traveling through SF soon! I might not be the best person to ask about San Francisco as I haven’t lived there in many years and when I visit, I usually shop around Union Square where there is a definite lack of vintage shopping. Haight Street – which is quite a sight to see but I must warn you, it’s more than a little seedy – has loads of vintage clothing shops.
      I like boutique shopping on Union Street (different from Union Square) and Fillmore Street.
      As far as what to do and see, I love the Ferry Building. But that’s mostly food – wonderful food!
      Of course the wharf is always fun. I prefer the Ghiradelli Square side of the wharf. Less crowded and prettier.
      The Marina district is lovely – vibrant atmosphere, shopping, food, people watching. And Golden Gate Park is worth a stroll. If you have time, the Japanese Tea Garden is a great place to visit.
      Hope I have helped a little. Feel free to ask me anything else.
      Enjoy your upcoming trip!

19. June 5, 2014 / 7:46 am

I love pastels. I actually wear them everyday, but do try to balance with something edgier so they don’t look too twee. I loved seeing all the inspiration here! Beautiful group of women!!

June 5, 2014 / 7:56 am

Deborah – you are a devoted pastel fan! I have so little in my wardrobe, it surprised me!
      I agree – edging it up definitely keeps the cutesy factor low.

20. June 5, 2014 / 8:43 am

Great fresh ways to wear pastels! The ladies all look great. Pastels are so soft and feminine, yet some of these gals have styled them to look edgy. Love it. Many ideas to take away as inspiration here. You and Jill do a great job with this series.
    Enjoy your day….hope Daisy is well.
    XOJennifer

June 5, 2014 / 9:32 am

Thank you, Jen! Jill and I consider HIWM our labor of love. Lots of work but so worth it. I love this little community of fashion lovers we have.
      Thinking good thoughts for Daisy today…thanks for your concern.

21. June 7, 2014 / 12:20 am

Wow, so many fantastic ladies in beautiful looks!
    Some are good friends, some are new to me and I will check them out now.
    Thank you for this brilliant post, Adrienne!

Annette | Lady of Style

22. June 7, 2014 / 5:42 am

I really enjoy this series- it’s so interesting to see how people use their self expression through styling outfits. I definitely have some favorites that I will be using as inspiration. You look great, Adrienne.

23. June 7, 2014 / 9:49 am

Everyone looks gorgeous and great outfit ideas

Catherine
    Joly Look

24. June 9, 2014 / 3:11 am

It was very funny to participate ! I love discover new blogs, and fashionistas who live abroad . For me it’s a way to travelling; I’m ready for the next épisode !

25. June 10, 2014 / 11:46 am

I like your necklace. It’s pretty. I don’t have anything that color but I just bought Liza a cute jersey dress in that same shade. Love it.