The Ageless Makeup Series: Concealing Brown Spots

The Ageless Makeup Series: Concealing Brown Spots

Welcome to The Ageless Makeup Series!

Last spring, I had the privilege of experiencing Modern Beauty by Mariah Smith. Part of the Modern Beauty portraiture package includes having your makeup professionally done by Sonoma County makeup artist and esthetician, Veronica Passalacqua.

The Ageless Makeup Series

She created a beautiful makeup look for the photo shoot As you probably already know, it’s always a good idea to wear heavier than normal makeup – and maybe some false eyelashes – when having photos done.

photo 5

While Veronica was doing my makeup that day, she gave me a few makeup tips that I could use when doing my own makeup both for photos and for everyday looks. Suddenly I realized I had a new resource and an expert at that. I finally had someone who could help me with my makeup dilemmas. I asked Veronica if she would be willing to share her tips with me and with you, and lucky for us, she said yes!

One of my biggest ongoing makeup dilemmas is learning how to achieve an everyday natural look as my face ages. I have many issues today that I didn’t have ten or even two years ago. I would love to learn how to address those individual issues in a simple and realistic way and I knew Veronica could help. We put our heads together and came up with The Ageless Makeup Series.

I asked my followers on Facebook to tell me about the makeup dilemmas they encounter as they age and wow, did I get a huge response! I took the information, compiled a list of the issues and brought them to Veronica.

Adrienne and Veronica

Over the next several weeks or more, Veronica and I will be posting short videos addressing one, sometimes two issues at a time. These are not professional videos created by production staff with a camera person and a film studio. These are real life videos, made in Veronica’s beautiful studio with just Veronica, me, a camera, a tripod and lots of patience!

Veronica Passalacqua's Studio

This first video is a short introduction to our series.

The second video covers one of my biggest makeup annoyances, concealing brown spots.

Veronica uses mostly Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics. She researched many cosmetic lines before she decided which one to carry in her studio and found Youngblood to have the most integrity (as a side note, neither of us are compensated for mentioning Youngblood Cosmetics).

We hope you find this video series useful, relatable and realistic.

Veronica and I would love to have your suggestions for future topics.

Feel free to leave your ideas in the comments or you can email them to me at adrienne (at) therichlifeonabudget (dot) com.

Make it a rich day!

1. July 6, 2014 / 5:48 pm

Looking forward to the entire series! I have brown spots too so will try her method.

July 7, 2014 / 7:49 am

Aren’t brown spots annoying? I had hoped the Tria would lighten them up but it didn’t happen. Other things about my skin improved with the Tria but not those darn spots.
      For me, finding the right shade to use on the spots was key. I was using concealers that were either too dark or too light and would only draw more attention to them.
      It’s impossible to get full coverage and make the spots disappear when I want a natural look, but with Veronica’s method, I can at least mask them a bit.

2. July 6, 2014 / 5:58 pm

I’m very excited about this series!! I have lines and texture on the lower portion of my face…What’s a good way to keep foundation from settling in them?

July 7, 2014 / 7:49 am

Jen,

I will ask Veronica about that. We will add that to our list for future videos!
      xoA

3. July 6, 2014 / 8:11 pm

This is such a great idea, Adrienne. I look forward to more videos in this series. At almost 70, I can always learn something new about looking younger.

July 7, 2014 / 7:51 am

I am so glad to hear you’re interested in learning more about makeup application on aging skin. Let us know if you have any specific issues you would like us to address!

4. Maria
    July 7, 2014 / 2:25 am

Hi Adrienne.

Long time reader but this is the first time I have left a comment.
    Having just turned 53yrs old last month, I am very excited about this new series.
    However, It is a shame your second video wasn’t filmed in the style your intro Video was as it was very hard to see what was going on. Veronica did explain beautifully what she was doing, but I would have preferred a more close up view at the same time and the wider screen. Would have also loved a side by side before and after picture. I am not camera savvy at all, so I hope I make sense.

I also hope my comment does not come across as rude as that is not my attention.
    Always a fan
    Maria

July 7, 2014 / 7:45 am

Maria,

Not rude at all! You’re totally right. I had a feeling making these videos would be challenging at first and I was correct. We tried a variety of positions and angles and such and now we know the vertical screen is NOT great. If you click the box in the left hand lower corner you can expand the video and make it fill up your computer screen, in case you weren’t aware. That will help you see it a little better.
      I promise our videos will get better as time goes on. It’s a “learn by doing” process that at times can be frustrating but is so worth it!
      Thank you for your honesty and your interest….look for a new post next week,
      xoA

5. July 7, 2014 / 5:42 am

I am so looking forward to this! A woman who doesn’t take the time to care for her skin and learn to use makeup effectively as she ages is like a beautiful home left to weather the elements without periodic repairs, fresh paint and landscaping. It’s all about curb appeal! Thanks, Adrienne!

July 7, 2014 / 7:41 am

Love the metaphor for landscaping. Makeup application does feel that way at times, doesn’t it? And I adore the “curb-appeal” reference. So funny (and true)!

6. July 7, 2014 / 6:01 am

I’m looking forward to more, and I am going to check out these products. Some days I wear only concealer on my face, and it’s worth it to have a good one. xox

July 7, 2014 / 7:55 am

It is worth it to buy a good one. I use a Giorgio Armani concealer that I like but it’s too thin to give me good coverage on my brown spots. I am going to slowly start switching over to Youngblood because I like the ingredients in their products.

7. Jennifer
    July 7, 2014 / 7:09 am

I have been following your blog for some time now, love it. I hit the 50 mark this year and I was really excited to see your post this morning. I have decided it is time to invest in some new cosmetics and I am going to give this line a try. I am one that usually just picks up my foundation and blush at the local grocery store, which is fine and has worked for all these years, but, at this point in my life I want to pamper myself a little, hey, I deserve it, right,,lol. Thanks for the tips and I look forward to future posts on this series.

July 7, 2014 / 7:59 am

Hi Jennifer,

You do deserve it! And I think you will feel good about the ingredients in Youngblood’s products.
      I have the tinted moisturizer that Veronica prepped my skin with and I have some mineral powder when I want heavier coverage. I love their lip colors too. I have a great lipstick and a gloss that Veronica put on my for the photo shoot with Mariah (I am wearing it in the photo above in the pink jacket). It’s the ideal color for me and I don’t have to worry about what chemicals I am ingesting when I lick my lips or eat.
      You may want to visit the Youngblood website and see who sells it in your area. I don’t think they sell online or a retail stores. I am pretty sure they only sell through makeup artists and estheticians.
      Let us know if you have any topics you’d like to see us cover!
      And happy 50th!
      xoA

8. July 7, 2014 / 11:34 am

Love this first video! Looking forward to more. I know Veronica’s work and you are lucky to be working with her, as she is you of course!

July 7, 2014 / 3:59 pm

Jacqueline,

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I am very lucky to have met her. She is such talent and I am thrilled to be able to share a small part of her knowledge with my readers.

9. July 7, 2014 / 3:55 pm

Adrienne, Wonderful job! I actually love, as you put it, ‘non professional’ filming. I thought the two of you did a fantastic job, it’s intimate and real and because of that it allows us as your readers to feel right at home with you. I actually felt as though I were sitting in a chiar right next to you. I’m quite excited for the rest of this series, super idea!

July 7, 2014 / 4:02 pm

Trina,
      If only you were sitting in a chair next to me and Veronica. That would be so fun!
      I see videos on instructional videos on YouTube that look like they hire a full film team and spend lots of moola…that will never be me. I like ‘real’ though I do want to improve the quality of our videos. I am learning a lot and promise that they will get better as we go along!
      Thank you for the support…glad you liked it!
      A

10. Chrissy
    July 7, 2014 / 5:05 pm

Love the videos and tips. I have brown spots too, so I found this information very useful. You have a beautiful jawline Adrienne. I find as I approach 50 I’m getting a bit of the saggy jawline. I’m wondering if there is a way to contour these areas without looking too made up. I never really understood how to contour and highlight the face while still having a natural daytime look. Looking forward to seeing more wonderful make-up tips.

July 8, 2014 / 6:47 am

I haven’t thought much about my jawline but thank you for noticing it’s taut. I wonder if the Tria contributed to that?
      I have been curious about contouring. To me, it looks really complicated and too heavy. But I will have to ask Veronica about that. Maybe there are ways to contour that are easy and don’t require thick layers of makeup. I will put it on the list!

July 7, 2014 / 5:58 pm

Love the whole idea for this series, as I do enjoy getting new makeup tips. Wish there was a zoom or something to see a closeup better, as it was hard to really see how well the concealer covered, and how natural it looked. I am looking forward to one on under eye dark circles, as that’s problem that I always have, no matter how much sleep, and find as I age, that my “tricks” have to change for my skin which is aging. Great job.

July 8, 2014 / 6:50 am

Kathy,

I had no idea that when I flipped the camera vertically on the tripod , I would not be able to adjust it or crop it. I bet there is a way but I don’t know it. I might need to find a new video editing program or maybe take a class. This has been a big learning experience, that’s for sure! I know the videos will get better and better as we keep at it.
      I think dark circles are coming up in our next video, next week. Yay!

12. July 7, 2014 / 9:48 pm

I’m so excited for this series! I’ve never worn much makeup, but I’m realizing now that I’m in my late 40’s – I need to start! Looking forward to getting some great tips and information.

July 8, 2014 / 6:45 am

Hi Lana,

I wear very little makeup in my day-to-day life. In fact, I can go many days without wearing as much as a little chap stick. But when I want to (or have to) wear makeup, I like to know what I am doing for my 46 year-old face. Things have changed quite a lot since my younger days of thick black eyeliner and dark lipstick!
      I hope this series helps all of us achieve a natural makeup look that is easy and makes us look and feel great!

13. Ann smith
    July 7, 2014 / 11:02 pm

I really enjoyed your video being one of the older readers. I’m 62 and love to learn new makeup ideas. I had trouble seeing what was going on. It was great for your first try. Have you see the web site ‘ looking fabulous forever. It is fantastic. Trish has makeup videos for older ladies and I think it is fantastic. You can really see what is going on. Good luck with your next videos. My age group love to learn new tricks! Ann

July 8, 2014 / 6:41 am

Hi Ann,

This was our first time doing this and didn’t realize that by turning the camera vertically, we would lose distance. From now on, we will shoot horizontally for sure!
      Try using the fullscreen feature on YouTube – that will enlarge it quite a bit.

14. Rita
    July 8, 2014 / 4:20 am

I’ve found that mineral foundation doesn’t work for me. It looks great at first, but then settles during the day into little lines that were invisible in the morning. I’ve had this happen with several brands, I would look in the car mirror on the way home after work and think, “Wow, my skin is starting to show it’s age.” Then I remember, “Oh, yeah, it’s the mineral makeup I used today”.

July 8, 2014 / 6:39 am

Rita,
      That’s too bad that mineral foundation doesn’t work for you. I love it! And I like that some don’t have lots of chemicals in them.

15. July 8, 2014 / 9:42 am

Nice video! I hate these dak spots that start appearing with age and especially during summer. I liked the tip of actually covering them twice with concealer. I will try it.
    x Nina

16. July 8, 2014 / 1:45 pm

Wow, you look dewy fresh and glam at the same time. I have loads of age spots, some left after a got a mini fraxel but the remains of all those years of sunbathing with babyoil slathered all over – are still there.

i have still not got the hang of false eyelashes, like the ones you have as they are more natural

17. Linda Salazar
    July 8, 2014 / 6:47 pm

Hi Adrienne,

I’m enjoying your video series! It’s like being there in person. 🙂

When I worked for the dermatologist years ago, many women that came into the office had problems with the dark spots. Hormones definitely play a role… oral contraceptives, pregnancy and pre-menopause contribute to them. Also women that are brunettes or individuals that have more melanin (such as olive skinned) seem to be more susceptible to the brown spots. I guess that is why I have not had an issue with them. Sun exposure makes it worse, so keep wearing those hats and your sunscreen!

18. July 9, 2014 / 6:23 am

What a cool idea! I’ll be keeping an eye out for the next make up tip. And hey, please address dark circles! A family curse (and why I love my big sunnies so much!).
    OXOX