How I Wear My: Summertime Picnic Look

How I Wear My: Summertime Picnic Look

Welcome to How I Wear My: Summertime Picnic Look, the 33rd installment of the How I Wear My series!

Happy Summer to you! We hope you are enjoying the season of trips to the beach and barbecue cookouts with friends, the days of outdoor concerts, dips in the pool, long bike rides, and lazy afternoons filled with good books, a tall glass of lemonade, and maybe even a nap! Since eating outside is probably one of the most popular activities during these sun-filled months, we decided to devote July’s “How I Wear My” to the Summertime Picnic Look.

Jill of Everything Just So, my HIWM partner, is starting us off with a fantastic summer picnic look at Coney Island. Jill is wearing Old Navy jeans, a Banana Republic seersucker jacket and J. Crew linen shirt and necklace. The flag pin is vintage Avon and the sunglasses are by L’Wren Scott. The Parachute Jump in the background was built for the New York World’s Fair in Queens in 1939 and was moved to Coney Island in 1941. It’s defunct but still stands.

Don’t you wish you were there with Jill, sitting on the beach with your own little bottle of bubbly? I do!

Jill

Cynthia of My Rose Colored Shades tells us:

“When it comes to picnic attire, I go for comfort, simplicity and mobility, with a sprinkling of style. The key words are easy breezy and my go-to items are typically tee and shorts, a flowy maxi dress, a cotton dress, denim shorts, flip flops, slip-ons and of course, shades and lots of sunscreen.”

What a colorful, summery look. I love the boho-chic vibe of this maxi dress!

Cynthia

Terry of Terry Two Cents shows a men’s take on a summertime picnic look by pairing bright orange with a rich and warm brown. He is wearing a no-brand hat, polo shirt by Perry Ells, shorts by Arizona Jeans, Levi’s flip-flops and belt by H&M.

Terry Two Cents

Linda of Labour of Life is ready to sail away to a quaint picnic area by the sea in shorts by J Crew, Old Navy anchor print blouse with a white tank underneath and a Panama hat.

Suzanne of Suzanne Carrillo Style Files

“This is one of the outfits I wore recently on my trip to the south of France and I think it would be ideal for a picnic. The dress is 1950’s vintage and I LOVE it. It just might be my favourite vintage item I own. The neckline is Audrey Hepburn and the gingham fabric has a wonderful textural element that is 3D, which sadly you can’t see in the photo but makes the dress even more unique.”

Suzanne

Nina of Trendsurvivor sends us beautiful photos from Paros, an Aegean Island in Greece. She is wearing Zara high-waist cutoffs with a lace cropped top from Stradivarius. Her Celine sandals complete the outfit and that darling King Charles spaniel pup is her beloved Spot.

Trendsurvivor

Malia of Style by Malia likes to wear long maxi skirts to her outside events. Here she is in a brilliant orange paired with black and white stripes. An ideal picnic look for summer!

Malia

Jen of Basic Training Corporate Style

“Enjoying the gorgeous Chicago summer, I took my boys out for a midweek picnic at the park with my new self-made maxi skirt. The easy, breezy skirt provided enough coverage to run around and play with my boys but kept me cool under the summer sun! And the colorful pattern felt perfect for a summer outing.”

Jen P

Nicole of High Latitude Style says this about her look:

“I like clothes that are sleek. However, sleek clothes are not very appropriate for a picnic. Just think about sitting on a meadow with a pencil skirt! Here I am wearing my dirndl that I bought in Germany. To not look like a leftover from the Oktoberfest I wear it not with a dirndl blouse but a normal top. Well what a normal top is for me, a cotton cardigan. I keep the outfit in my French colors – white and blue including the wedges. To simulate the sun of the Provence I added my sunflower yellow pliage bag.”

HighLatitudeStyle

Ann at Tarnished Royalty tells us:

“I am infatuated with coral right now. I guess I always have been, but the fact that it’s a trending color makes me oh-so-happy. This New York & Company vest ($6 thrift find!) is a favorite choice on the occasional summer day when the temps don’t hit the 90’s. Otherwise it’s too hot as it’s made of sweatshirt material. I paired it with a simple white tank and jean shorts. I chose chunky accessories from my own line of jewelry, and added a pop of whimsy with my Tommy H. striped tennies. I think my feet have grown because these shoes are too tight now, so it wasn’t long before I changed into sandals.”

coral_vest_picnic

Catherine of Not Dressed as Lamb

“I spent a weekend exploring the Regency city of Cheltenham in Gloucestershire (UK), and as it was so unusually warm we took a picnic blanket, had snacks and drinks and snoozed in the sun. Sunblock on, of course!”

Catherine even looks chic napping!

Catherine

Deborah Montgomery of The Beautiful Matters says:

“Most of the picnics I go to are backyard barbecues or grad parties, so I go a little dressier. I love wearing a flow-y dress in the summer and this J. Crew jacket is so comfy. It has a lot of stretch in it. The cork platforms work better than heels — no sinking into the grass!”

Deborah Montgomery

Dawn Lucy of Fashion Should Be Fun has this to say about her picnic look:

“This dressy picnic look is a flowy white summer maxi with a purple gingham shirt tied at the waist, with silver sandals and jewelry, and a straw hat and bag.”

Dawn Lucy

Sheree of It’s Not That Deep goes casual for her summertime picnic look. And few colors say “summer” better than a cheery and bright shade of yellow. Sheree wears a yellow poncho, complete with adorable pom poms, with a pair of cut-offs.

Sheree

Trina of Tea Time With Trina

“Whenever I think of dressing for a picnic my first thought turns to the old fashion ‘all in white’ summer dress or skirt, therefore my first look is just that, light weight cotton summer skirt with a white tee and simple leather sandals. Add on a few natural accessories and headband, grab my trusty picnic basket and I’m ready for any park or outdoor setting.”

HIWM Trina

I go on a lot of picnics throughout the year, not just during the summer. My husband and I enjoy them and there are so many places in Sonoma Valley to have lovely one. Our last picnic was on my husband’s birthday. His kids surprised him with a picnic – complete with all his favorite foods – at Preston Winery in the Dry Creek Valley.

Adrienne and Bill Shubin

I decided to leave the boyfriend jeans and shorts at home and dress a little more feminine for him on his special day. I wore a teal strapless maxi I bought in Kauai a couple of years ago with my beloved Panama hat, Haviana flip flops I bought in Paris – of all places to buy flip flops – and I brought along a black J. Crew cardigan in case the fog rolled in off the coast.

Adrienne Shubin

Summer is definitely the season for white clothes and they are such an easy way to add a bit of glamour to hot weather dressing. So pick your favorite white garment or accessory, whether it’s a dress, jeans, sunglasses, or even a pristine white bag, and join us in August for “How I Wear My: White.” We will accept photos through August 4, 2014. You can send them to us at howiwearmy (at) yahoo (dot) com.

How I Wear My Badge

Thank you to all the stylish participants!

Be sure to stop by Jill’s blog, Everything Just So to see even more great summertime picnic looks!

Make it a rich day!

1. July 2, 2014 / 6:24 am

Thanks for hosting another fun round up! Picnics, 4th of July … LOVE this time of year! Such an adorable photo of you and hubby. Chic and pretty picnic ready look!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

July 2, 2014 / 8:24 am

Dawn Lucy,

Thank you so much for participating in this month’s theme. You look so fresh and feminine in your Summertime Picnic look. I love the gingham shirt.
      Hope to see you next month for HIWM: White!
      xo, A

• Tori May
      July 2, 2014 / 10:54 am

First off let me start by saying how gorgeous you are! That picture of you and dad is adorbale and the one of just you, simply stunning! Love the post, miss you and love you lots! Let’s do a one trend soon?:)

July 2, 2014 / 6:36 am

Love the picnic outfit and the one you wore for Bill’s birthday is great. We actually don’t go on picnics, but do eat in the backyard a lot.

July 2, 2014 / 8:27 am

Thanks, Kathy. It’s a really comfortable dress to wear in the summer and not too long. I like the midi length because it’s a little cooler than floor length maxis.
      As you know, Bill and I are big into picnics. Over the years, it’s become our go-to thing to do on a free day.

3. Jill
    July 2, 2014 / 6:36 am

So many looks to love here! This was such a fun roundup, I wish I could go on a big group picnic with all of these ladies. And Terry! And Bill! I just know we would have a great time. XO, Jill

July 2, 2014 / 8:28 am

Another stellar month, Jill!
      I wish we could all go on a huge picnic together too. It would be a blast and so stylish, too!
      Thank you for all your hard work. I can’t wait for WHITE next month. It’s going to be fantastic! XO

4. July 2, 2014 / 7:16 am

Such fun looks!! I usually go for a maxi and big hat for the sun. You look fabulous and casual. Love that hat on you too. The ladies all look terrific here. Happy Summer. xoJennifer

July 2, 2014 / 8:30 am

Maxi dresses and skirts are really great for summer – especially picnics. And you can’t forget your hat on sunny days!
      Happy summer to you too, Jen! xo

5. July 2, 2014 / 8:20 am

Perfect picnic attire, Adrienne, you look ever so classy and yet fun and ready for a picnic. Love the maxi with the panama hat and the casual use of flip flops. My hubby and I also do a lot of picnic dinners, they’re easy, fun and just enjoyable. I love to surprise him by showing up at lunch time with a basket in hand, great excuse to sneak him away from the office for an hour.

July 2, 2014 / 8:31 am

Trina, Thank you so much for submitting your fabulous picnic looks.
      I think surprising your husband at work with a picnic is a wonderful idea! I may have to do that myself.
      See you next month for HIWM: White?

6. July 2, 2014 / 8:37 am

Always so fun to see what everyone comes up with each month. Have a happy 4th!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

7. July 2, 2014 / 9:53 am

Adrienne, you look gorgeous, as usual, and so do all the other women featured here. So sorry my photo was of such poor quality, will have to work on camera skills! There were so many great looks here. Thank you for hosting!

8. July 2, 2014 / 10:28 am

A group of gorgeous women, in lovely summer looks – you’ve done it again, A! xox

9. July 2, 2014 / 11:14 am

Another wonderful roundup my dear! So much inspiration … not only fashion inspiration … but picnic as well! Perfectly timed! I am working on styling our yearly 4th of July picnic today! So excited with all of this fresh inspiration!

Thank you so much for doing such a fabulous job sharing all of these looks!

Congratulations once again for being named one of Kenwood’s 4th of July parade judges! What a perfect way to celebrate the day!!

xoxo
    Tamera

10. July 2, 2014 / 1:45 pm

What a lovely shot of you with your man Adrienne.

Thanks for hosting.

bisous
    Suzanne

11. July 2, 2014 / 2:23 pm

Why have I never thought to put a normal blouse under my dirndl?

12. July 2, 2014 / 2:46 pm

This was so much fun, Adrienne! Thank you to you and Jill for hosting. You look gorgeous in teal, and I love your look in a hat. Note to self: wear more hats and go on more picnics! ~Ann

13. July 2, 2014 / 2:59 pm

You look beautiful in that shade of blue Adrienne…lovely bloggers all. I have to say I think that picture of Jill is my new favorite of her…it is great!

14. July 2, 2014 / 4:44 pm

Love all the fun summertime looks! Even the details are great. Namely, Jill’s seersucker blazer and your hat (I want one every time I see it on your blog!). It’s great to see people having fun outdoors. I’m down for the next challenge, I think I’m up to my ears in whites.

15. July 2, 2014 / 11:24 pm

You all look beautiful! and…yes, I would love to be with Jill at the beach with a glass of champagne.
    Happy summer from Greece to all of you!
    x Nina

16. July 3, 2014 / 1:35 am

I love every single look! Brilliant models and photos.
    I just commented on Trina’s blog and mentioned how much I love picnics but nobody takes me out for one… I should join you all and I even bring my big picnic basket with some Bavarian food !!

Annette | Lady of Style

17. July 3, 2014 / 6:34 pm

Adrienne your maxi dress looks so comfortable and pretty! Hope your firefighters are home safe and sound very soon!

18. July 5, 2014 / 2:36 am

All the ladies look gorgeous in their summer looks

Catherine
    Joly Look

19. July 5, 2014 / 5:07 am

Just came across your blog. Really enjoy it. I will definitely be back!

20. July 6, 2014 / 3:56 am

I love that you wore a panama hat to the picnic – there’s something very romantic about wearing a to a picnic! Love the teal maxi and what a lovely way to celebrate hubby’s birthday!

21. July 8, 2014 / 5:02 am

Stopping by from Une femme d’un certain age to find these inspiring styles on your blog. Will follow your blog on BL now to receive more of it! Sabina @Oceanblue Style