Stella Carakasi Winners, BlogHer ’14, and a Short Break

I am pleased to announce the three winners of the Stella Carakasi giveaway:

Patricia B., Carolyn D. and Missy.

All three winners have been contacted via email.

Congratulations!

If you signed up for the Stella Carakasi email subscription, check your in-box later this week for a special offer from them. And be sure to check out their fantastic summer sale going on right now!

Stella Carakasi Sale

BlogHer ’14 was quite an experience. I am still recovering from the action-packed three-day event.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to some of today’s most dynamic and inspiring women speak. Arianna Huffington, Kerry Washington, Jenny Lawson and Kara Swisher were my favorites, but they were all interesting and uplifting. There was certainly no shortage of creative, brilliant and enterprising women at BlogHer ’14.

blogher1

I attended two classes and although I did take away a few pieces of useful information, I didn’t learn as much as I had hoped. But that’s okay. Everything considered, it was a positive, eye-opening experience.

blogher2

In case you’re wondering, there were no karaoke or open mic experiences for me, thankfully. But I did manage to tap into my extroverted side long enough to dance up a storm with Malia at the closing night party, featuring Rev Run of Run-D.M.C.

blogher

The most valuable thing I gained from the conference is more certainty about what I want for myself – both personally and professionally. That alone was worth the time and expense. My priorities have already shifted. I am managing my time better, doing the things I enjoy with people who inspire me to be and do my best, and I’m taking better care of myself both physically and emotionally.

My newly found clarity allows me to see I am due for a short vacation from the blog, something I usually only take when I go on long vacations. I have a lot on my plate over the next week including a looming freelance writing deadline and an upcoming stay and review of  Warwick San Francisco Hotel. I am attending Hat Day at Wine Country Races at the Sonoma County Fair as a guest of Malia’s, shooting more Ageless Makeup videos with Veronica and I want to squeeze in some wardrobe and kitchen decluttering. I am long overdue for a good clutter purge!

I will be all caught up and back to business as usual on Wednesday, August 6th for How I Wear My: White. If you’d like to be featured in the next HIWM, please send a photo of you wearing something white along with a brief description of your outfit to howiwearmy (at) yahoo (dot) com.

How-I-Wear-My

Have a rich week!

1. July 29, 2014 / 5:39 pm

One day, I would like to attend a blog conference so I can learn more since there’s so much I don’t know. I am glad you recognized the need for a blog break and don’t feel the burn out. I think it’s a smart move!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

July 30, 2014 / 7:50 am

Alice,

I think it’s a great idea to attend blog conferences – at least once to see what they are like. I am very glad I went to BlogHer but I am not sure I will return next year.
      I usually push through that burn out feeling but this time, I am listening to myself. And besides, this time of year is slow in the blog world. So many people on vacation, getting ready to head back to school and just not spending much time online!
      I hope you’re having a great summer, Alice! See you at HIWM!
      A

2. July 29, 2014 / 6:22 pm

Hi Adrienne, glad to hear about the good time you had at the conference. Sounds like you had to hit the ground running once you returned home. Isn’t that the way things go?
    See you in August!

July 30, 2014 / 7:53 am

Hi Joni,

It was fun but an exhausting 3+ days. It was go, go, go. And also very social, which always means I need to find a couple of quiet days to unwind and refresh. Now that I am unwound and refreshed, I am definitely hitting the ground running!
      See you in August! Hope all is well.
      A

3. July 29, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Just seeing you and Malia dancing up a storm is worth the post for me! How fun to have girlfriend time while attending a conference!

July 30, 2014 / 7:57 am

Malia was so fun to be with. I love that girl!

4. July 29, 2014 / 7:36 pm

That dancing photo is the best! Sounds like you came away with a perfect array of insight, especially if it helped focus your attention on what matters most in life. Taking a break from blogging is never a bad thing, in fact sometimes its extremely beneficial and healthy to do so. Sounds as if you’ve got your priorities right where they need to be. Enjoy my friend!

July 30, 2014 / 7:59 am

That is exactly what I think, too, Trina. As long as I came away with some insight – and was able to gain clarity about my career and personal life, it was worth it to me.
      I wish I could say that this break was a total break from all writing and work but that isn’t the case…but that is okay with me right now. Maybe this fall I will take a real break and unplug. I know most of us could benefit from doing that once in a while.

5. Lucy
    July 29, 2014 / 10:16 pm

Please do a wardrobe and kitchen decluttering post I really love those… more so if we get to see what you got rid of.

July 30, 2014 / 8:00 am

Hi Lucy,

I will think about that. I don’t consider myself someone who excels at decluttering but if anything interesting comes out of it, I will write about it for sure!

6. Lucy
    July 29, 2014 / 10:17 pm

enjoy your time off 🙂

July 30, 2014 / 4:54 am

I thinking learning what you don’t want, is even more valuable sometimes than learning what you do want. It clears space for other things and makes your path clearer. I’m glad you’re taking a blog break, since you have a lot going on in the upcoming week. Thanks for your honesty, always.

July 30, 2014 / 8:08 am

So true, Kathy. I learned a lot about what I don’t want. I have also been listening to my gut more. I pay much more attention to how situations, ideas, projects, and even people make me feel. If a blog post idea doesn’t feel right, or a company I work with isn’t really on par with my taste, style or ideals, then I need to say no to those things.
      I learned a lot about myself at BlogHer that I didn’t think I would learn which made it all worth it!

July 30, 2014 / 8:01 am

Thank you, Pam!
      Enjoy your next 10 days off before school starts. Seems your break went by so fast!

8. July 30, 2014 / 5:31 am

So glad you enjoyed your time at the conference, and I hope your break is just as you wished – see you on the other side! xox

July 30, 2014 / 8:01 am

See you in August, Patti!

9. July 30, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Loved our photos! The evenings were fun and I did love the pool time and hanging out. Getting to know Malia and Kerry better and meet some new people was great. I think I agree that there was things to take away for sure, but not as much as I hoped. I still need to get to my post about this.. SO glad you’ll take some time for yourself!! You deserve it. xxoo Kim

10. Jill
    July 30, 2014 / 7:33 pm

Your schedule sounds more action-packed than ever! I LOVE that picture of you and Malia, it’s adorable and fun. I wish I was there to dance up a storm with you two foxes. Looking forward to HIWM: White! XO, Jill

11. July 31, 2014 / 6:16 pm

Hi Adrienne, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the BlogHer conference. It did look like go, go, go and knowing us, we need some decompression time after that. I adored the shots of you laughing with Tamera and dancing with Malia. So fun! I was sorry to miss out on connecting with you all again but here’s to next time! Enjoy your well-deserved blog break and all the fun.
    xx

12. August 4, 2014 / 6:06 pm

I hope you’re enjoying your blog break! 🙂

13. August 4, 2014 / 8:22 pm

A handful of my IG friends and bloggers I follow also went to Blog Her. I have a feeling you all probably met each other and just posting from different areas of the room. Glad you find it insightful and appreciate the fact that you were transparent that it fell short of expectations. I haven’t attended a blogger conference (yet). Still unsure if I can afford to make that investment.

Enjoy your short break and unplug!

I also hope I’m not too late to How I Wear My!

– Karen