5 Healthy and Simple Lifestyle Tips

5 Healthy and Simple Lifestyle Tips

Whether it’s eating more fresh vegetables, getting extra sleep, reducing stress, cutting back on caffeine or alcohol or exercising regularly, it seems most of us are continuously striving to improve our health. And I am no exception!

Over the last couple of months, I have incorporated several new lifestyle changes into my daily routine that I am excited to share with you. They are uncomplicated, inexpensive, and some are even enjoyable. Imagine that!

Most importantly, they are effective. I have noticed improvements in the way I feel – body, mind and spirit – since incorporating them into my everyday life.

Here are my 5 Healthy and Simple Lifestyle Tips:

Healthy-simple-tips

1. Start Your Day With a Later Letter

In July, I submitted my first article to be published in an actual for-purchase, hold-in-your-hands magazine. I worked on my piece for weeks and when it came time to submit it to the editor, I was nervous. Being somewhat new to the world of freelance writing, I worried I would have to write it over again or make significant changes.

In an email to a friend the morning after my submission, I wrote that I wished my email to her later that day would read something like:

“I heard back from the editor and she loved my article. I don’t need to make any changes!”

I included more details about the day ahead like having a great workout, getting some chores completed and enjoying a relaxing evening at home. I sent it off as though those things had already occurred and suddenly I felt calm and super motivated to begin my day. I had a positive outlook on the day ahead all because of the email I wrote. Soon, my friend sent back an email of her own, writing as though it was later in the day…and a daily habit was born.

later-letter

That afternoon, I received an email from my editor telling me my article was wonderful and ready to go as-is. In fact everything I detailed in my email to my friend that morning became a reality.

It’s been several weeks since that day and my friend and I are still exchanging what I call “Later Letters” every morning. Not everything I write in my Later Letter comes to fruition but it does set a positive tone for the day.

You can do it too. It’s easy! Find a friend who would be open to doing this with you or write it to yourself. The key is to be realistic. What do you want your day to be like? For instance winning the lottery, while possible, is a long shot. But finishing a work project, carving out time to work on a hobby or exercise, or assuming the best about an upcoming event is doable for most of us.

I believe a big part of why this method works is due to the physical act of writing down your hopes for the day and sending it off. I think it’s the ideal way to set your intentions and it’s much more fun than a tedious to-do list!

If you try it, I would love to hear about your experience.

2. Get Off Your Derriere

You have likely heard about the dangerous act of sitting on one’s rear for long stretches on an on-going basis. The medical community has been after us for years to move more, sit less. But when your job, hobby, or form of entertainment involves parking your rump in front of a laptop for hours at a time, what can you do? You can invest in a standing desk. I have long wanted one but thought it would be too cumbersome and too expensive.

But then I found a small standing desk on Amazon for less than $50.00. This Techni Mobili Laptop Cart is lightweight and it has wheels!

Standing-desk

I drag mine all over the house. I use it in the kitchen, my bedroom, in front of the tv, on the porch…just about anywhere! It’s adjustable to the user’s height, has storage compartments and it’s quite sturdy given it’s small size. If you suspect your lifestyle is in need of more standing and less sitting, I highly recommend this desk.

standing-desk2

3. Enjoy an Apple Cider Refresher

Many people, including Dr. Oz, tout the wonderful benefits of drinking a little apple cider vinegar daily. I like to add vinegar to my diet but drinking it straight or with water is not for me. Talk about a nasty stomachache! Instead, I make my Apple Cider Vinegar Refresher.

Cider-vinegar-drink

First I make a batch of ice tea with an herbal tea such as Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Zinger. To the tea I add liquid probiotics, a squeeze of lemon, a few drops of stevia and 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and I’ve got a palatable and refreshing drink full of healthy benefits.

I usually have one of these drinks around 3:00 pm when I am at my most sluggish. But lately, I’m beginning my day with one. Read up on all the great things apple cider vinegar can do for you here.

4. Turn Off Your Electronics

It used to be that the last image I saw everyday before I went to sleep was my iPhone screen. I would look at my phone – usually Instagram or Pinterest – well after the lights went out. I actually thought mindlessly browsing these visual platforms would help me sleep better. As it turns out, that’s not the case. The light emitting from a smartphone coupled with the barrage of images you see stimulate your brain, thereby decreasing your chances of a healthy slumber.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to switch off all electronic devices at least an hour before bedtime each night to give my brain some downtime before I go to sleep. I notice an improvement in the quality of my sleep and feel more relaxed when I turn in for the night.

5. Just Breathe!

I recently bought Easing Your Mind Calm by Dr. Allay Fair, a short and low-priced ebook that has lots of great instructional material for how to meditate and relax your mind and body.

easing calm

In the chapter titled “Retire and Retreat” I found an easy exercise I can do after I settle into bed. It’s a great way to cap off my day and it helps me sleep better.

You simply close your eyes while breathing deeply. During exhalation, visualize all your thoughts coming together in one single unit as you expel your breath. Do this five times, take a 30 second break, then do it once again. I find that it really does put my mind at ease and quiets that chattering voice in my head, quickly sending me off to sleep. It’s a much better way to end the day than having my face in a phone!

What healthy habits have you incorporated into your lifestyle recently?

Make it a rich – and healthy – day!

1. September 2, 2014 / 3:49 pm

a few great tips, love the desk. I have been trying to incorporate apple cider but have always failed with the spoonful or just add water, this refresher sounds interesting and a possible solution for me. ( currently I have been taking it in pill form)

Author
      September 2, 2014 / 3:52 pm

I didn’t even know they had a pill form. Bragg’s makes a delicious little drink – a couple bucks for a smallish bottle. I buy it sometimes but would rather save my money and just make my own. Plus, I love being able to add the probiotics.

2. September 2, 2014 / 3:55 pm

These are great tips Adrienne!
    I love the idea of the “later letter’…
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

Author
      September 3, 2014 / 6:42 am

Try a Later Letter, Hope! It has really helped me set the tone for my day.

3. September 2, 2014 / 5:33 pm

OMG… I am not good at healthy things, unfortunately. But I like your pictures (on your blog, as a whole). And I like your table: great deal! I might consider getting one. Stay well!

Patricia

Author
      September 3, 2014 / 6:38 am

Thanks, Patricia! The little desk on wheels has been a great way to get me off my rear!

4. Lisa Lilienthal
    September 2, 2014 / 8:39 pm

ordered the standing desk for Gene – thanks for the tip!! xo

Author
      September 3, 2014 / 6:37 am

That’s great! Let me know how he likes it. It requires assembly, by the way, but Bill said it was easy to put together.

September 3, 2014 / 6:18 am

The daily positive, but realistic “future” email has been almost magical for me. I do stand all day painting, but for people who want to sit some at a desk, another suggestion in addition to the standing position is to get one of those BOSU balls and sit on it in front of your desk. You have to really work your core and other muscles to be seated comfortably. I do take a slug of apple cider vinegar, usually when I’m cooking dinner – I’ve always loved the taste. I do turn off all electronics by about 8pm at the latest, and have noticed a big difference. Last night I did go on the computer before I went to sleep, and did not sleep as well as I had been. The breathing exercise is definitely something I could work harder on. Thanks for such a great post, so helpful, and thank you for being my “future” email partner.

Author
      September 3, 2014 / 6:41 am

Thank you for being my email buddy. It really helps me be more intent about how I spend my day, so much more than a to-do list ever did.
      I used an exercise ball before as a desk chair – I should add that in too because sometimes I get sick of standing but I don’t want to sit on a regular chair either.
      The electronics being off at least an hour before bed is so helpful but I don’t always adhere to my own rule and then I pay for it by tossing and turning.
      I would love to start turning my phone and laptop off at dinner time and leaving it off until morning. That is the ultimate goal. Right now, an hour before bed is good enough for me. Baby steps!

6. Tori may
    September 3, 2014 / 6:42 am

Great article A! I plan on incorporating some of these into my life, good advice <3

Author
      September 3, 2014 / 6:43 am

Any time you want to borrow the desk, just ask!

7. September 3, 2014 / 8:27 am

I love the idea of the later letter.

bisous
    Suzanne

Author
      September 4, 2014 / 6:29 am

Try it, Suzanne. It’s very motivating. I can’t go a day without one!

8. Rita
    September 3, 2014 / 9:08 am

Good article about vinegar, thanks for the link.

Author
      September 4, 2014 / 6:29 am

You are most welcome, Rita!

September 3, 2014 / 5:24 pm

Wanted to add how my “later” or “future” email this morning helped me today. I said I was going to get some paintings that I was working on, to a place where I knew where they were going, so that I’d feel OK about taking a 4 day break while I babysit my granddaughter. I had a very frustrating morning painting, and took a break for lunch and strongly considered not going back to my studio as it was very hot, and I was sort of cranky from my morning. I stopped and remembered the intention I had set for the day and headed back and did what I said I’d do in my email. It felt great to leave and know that I won’t be obsessing over them while I’m on this break. So thanks A!

Author
      September 4, 2014 / 6:40 am

Isn’t it strange how the Later Letter (future email) works? It stays with you throughout the day. I forward mine to myself so that I can refer to it later.
      It gives me an outline for my day and I find it very calming for some reason.
      I am off to write my daily Later Letter to you now! Thanks for being my LL partner 😉
      xo, A

10. September 4, 2014 / 10:05 am

Adrienne, What a good post. I also need to get one of those desks. I have to sit way too much writing. I try to stand at the kitchen counter, but it’s not always easy. I will have to try your drink. Right now I’m doing kale drinks in the a.m…Maybe I can add vinegar to that. SO agree about the screens. Our family has a basket and everyone piles them together around 9 or earlier for my young son, and we read at night. Way better for everyone! Congrats on the article!! Exciting and you will have to let us know when it is published. xx Kim