Point Reyes Getaway Celebration

Point Reyes Getaway Celebration

My husband and I love to travel. It’s our favorite way to celebrate, recreate and enjoy each other’s company. While we don’t have the time these days to take long trips involving air planes and passports, we can squeeze in short getaways to local destinations. Thanks to my father, who lets us use his motorhome, local travel is easy for us.

We took off Sunday for a Point Reyes getaway. It’s a coastal/farm area in West Marin County about an hour away from us. We celebrated a number of things, including our 14th wedding anniversary.

winnebago

We also celebrated my first published article in a touch-with-your-hands magazine. We stopped by a supermarket so I could finally get my own copy of Flourish Magazine’s latest issue. Bill captured my reaction to seeing it for the first time. So exciting!

adrienne-shubin-flourish

I wrote my article about farm-t0-table lodging in the North Bay Area. Below is a photo of the contributors’ profiles page. I have to admit, it feels pretty awesome to see my name in print.

adrienne-shubin-flourish2

While it’s exciting to see my article published, I have even bigger, more important news! My husband has been promoted to Deputy Chief of Santa Rosa Fire Department (the #2 position in the department). I could not be more proud of him. He has worked hard within the department and on his own, earning both a bachelor’s degree and a four-year chief officer’s certificate. This achievement gave us one more reason to celebrate with a getaway!

bill-shubin-santa-rosa-fire

We packed up the RV Sunday morning and arrived just in time for lunch. We decided to try Marin Sun Farms. It was very hot so we opted to eat outside. I was glad I wore my brown straw hat, a lightweight Stella Carakasi top and denim shorts.

brown-straw-hat

After we finished our lunch, our server told us that bacon chocolate chip cookies had just come out of the oven. How could we say no to that? It was as tasty as it sounds!

marin-sun-farms

It wouldn’t be a camping trip without our dogs, or at least two of them. Daisy and Coco are good little travelers who love to sit on my lap while I relax on a lounge chair. Once we got settled in our camping spot, it was time to decompress.

coco-daisy-rv

After an uneventful evening, we went to bed early.  The next morning on our anniversary, I set out the framed photo I had brought from home on the kitchen table in the RV. It’s our wedding photo, taking moments after our elopement in Maui 14 years ago. It amazes us both how young we look! We are definitely growing old together and have the gray hair, wrinkles and sags to prove it!

wedding-anniversary

We decided to spend the day sightseeing. The Point Reyes area is scenic place. Everywhere you turn, there is a wonderful photo opportunity. I love the old barns.

point-reyes-4

And farms from the mid-19th century.

point-reyes-5

Cows are everywhere.

point-reyes-trip2

As are birds of prey.

point-reyes-trip3

We drove out to Drake’s Beach, which was stunningly beautiful and surprisingly empty, one of many benefits to taking a Monday off.

drakes-beach

We headed toward the Point Reyes Lighthouse next, passing this long stretch of the Pacific coast.

point-reyes-lighthouse4

We walked a scenic 1/2 mile from the parking lot to the lighthouse, breaking for an anniversary selfie…

adrienne-bill-point-reyes

before arriving at these 308 stairs!

point-reyes-lighthouse2

A few facts about the The Point Reyes Lighthouse:

~ It was opened in 1870.

~ The 1980 John Carpenter movie The Fog was filmed there.

~ It’s the windiest place on the Pacific coast.

~ It’s the second foggiest place in North America.

point-reyes-lighthouse3

We were lucky to happen upon it on such a clear and fog-free day.

point-reyes-lighthouse6

I decided to wear this outfit featured in my previous post. I love white with off-white and I think it looks even better with caramel colored accessories. Even though it was very, very windy, I wore a hat. Traveling by RV is not always conducive to good hair days. And besides, I wanted some protection from the sun. This wool felt hat named “Sarah” is a new arrival at Montecristi Panama Hats in Napa Valley. I love the caramel color and braided band.

point-reyes-trip1

I didn’t want to lose my new hat while at the lighthouse and carried it most of the time. Looking down onto the rocks below, I could see several hats that weren’t so fortunate!

point-reyes-lighthouse1

The Northern California coast is stunning and so rugged. I never tire of its beauty.

point-reyes-lighthouse7

On our way back the RV, we passed this wrecked boat in the quaint town of Inverness that’s been there ever since I can remember. We often stop to take photos of it. It’s so mysterious and beautiful!

inverness

Rather than go out for dinner on our anniversary, we cooked in the RV. We bought some fresh wild salmon to grill, a couple of baking potatoes and green vegetables at a market in the nearby town of Point Reyes Station.

Before dinner, we enjoyed the remainder of daylight with our doggies. A friend gave me this dog carrier recently. Coco loves it and so do I, even if I do look like the Crazy Dog Lady.

Coco-camping

What a fun getaway it was!

Have you been to the Point Reyes area?

Ever visited a lighthouse?

Can you believe October is already halfway over? That means How I Wear My: Leather, Crystal or Glass (for the third year HIWM anniversary) is just two weeks away! Be sure to submit a photo of you wearing leather (or pleather), crystal and/or glass to [email protected] by November 3rd to be featured in the November 5th post. Include a few lines about your look and a photo 600 pix wide or larger for best resolution.

How I Wear My Badge

Make it a rich day!

Disclaimer: I was given the brown straw hat and the Sarah hat by my friends at Montecristi Panama Hat Company in Napa Valley. I was also given the Stella Carakasi Case Study tunic. All opinions expressed here are my own, as always.

1. October 16, 2014 / 9:43 am

Ha ha! That dog carrier is hilarious : ) I had my own homemade version of this years back…a backpack worn in the front so I didn’t have to leave my new puppy at home. I even took her on the bus like that.

Happy Anniversary and congrats to both of you!

Wonderful stunning photos too.

bisous
    Suzanne

2. October 16, 2014 / 12:07 pm

Such a happy post…Congratulations on all of this! Many reasons to celebrate!

3. October 16, 2014 / 1:20 pm

Thank you for sharing such a delightful post. Congratulations on all the accomplishments!

4. October 16, 2014 / 1:46 pm

Wonderful news for both of you deserving people! Congrats to you and to Bill. Your getaway looks like heaven. xox

• October 19, 2014 / 3:54 pm

And thanks for sharing the beauty with Visible Monday too! xo

October 16, 2014 / 4:09 pm

As others have said, such a beautiful post, I feel like I’ve gone on a short getaway. Congratulations on all the reasons to celebrate, and you must be so proud of Bill. You might be older, but I think you’re both better looking now! Can’t wait to wear my hats from Montecristi. I’m honestly thinking of getting one of those dog carriers for my daughter, who has a very lazy little dog!

6. October 16, 2014 / 4:12 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary, your husband’s promotion, and your article in Flourish Magazine! What a fun getaway, and such beautiful weather. My parents used to own a motorhome, and it was so fun to camp that way. Unfortunately, they sold it when they moved to Arizona :(. I love your white outfit with the booties!

7. October 16, 2014 / 6:33 pm

Sounds like such a wonderful getaway! Love your dog carrier too.

Happy Anniversary!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

8. October 17, 2014 / 4:28 am

I’ve been enjoying “following” your travels on Instagram – what a great getaway – congrats on your many things to celebrate! We still have copies of the mags we’ve been published in…I remember eagerly awaiting them in the mail, and seeking them out in stores 😉
    We’re planning a weekend escape to the California coast too, but further south. I grew up in Orange County, but have never been to Santa Barbara and have heard so much about it so that’s where we’re headed – can’t wait!
    Congrats again- Anne

9. October 17, 2014 / 6:20 am

I love that part of our country, the Pacific NW, all of it. If I could I would move there.
    Wonderful post & Happy Anniversary !!

10. Linda Salazar
    October 17, 2014 / 8:31 am

Looks like you crammed a lot into your weekend! Congrats again to Bill on his promotion and on your wedding anniversary. Isn’t it funny when you look at your wedding photos? We look so young in ours and we were already in our late 30’s.

I was just reading a back issue of Bon Appetit and pulled out a page about Manka’s Inverness Lodge to put in my travel folder. Looks like my type of getaway. The Sir and Star Restaurant in Olema sounds good too!

Love all the pics of you and Bill at the lighthouse…you must have gotten quite a workout on those stairs!

11. October 17, 2014 / 3:28 pm

Congrats to you both on the article and Bill’s promotion. A great ways to celebrate with your anniversary! I just love Point Reyes and all the beaches and little towns nearby. Looks like you guys got some great weather. The white outfit is so pretty for fall with the boots too! I’m going to share this on my page today. It’s a great fall getaway place.
    Have a good weekend!
    xx Kim

12. Annette
    October 17, 2014 / 8:09 pm

Hi Adrienne,
    I had the great good fortune of visiting the wine country AND the Port Reyes lighthouse for the very first time in mid-September. Being from the Midwest (KS/MO), you can imagine how amazed I was at the gorgeous views. It was truly stunning and I cannot recommend it enough.

I also had really fantastic food while in the area and ate at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) which was beyond good, and many other fantastic restaurants. Heirloom tomatoes and burrata cheese were on every menu and were really wonderful.

And BTW , I really do adore your blog—which, BTW, I revisited several times prior to this visit so I would know how to pack.
    You rock. 🙂

13. October 18, 2014 / 2:09 pm

Congratulations to you and your husband! Such gorgeous landscape photos of your anniversary trip. I don’t think I’ve visited a lighthouse, but I need to get on that. Great outfits, especially the white!

14. October 18, 2014 / 7:49 pm

I just discovered your blog and am entranced by it. Congrats on getting published. I couldn’t turn down any food with bacon in it. And you mention the movie, “The Fog.” I once ran a film-series in law school and we showed that movie, which meant I saw it nine times in a row. So, yes, I remember its scenes in this location!

15. October 19, 2014 / 3:52 pm

Hello…coming over from Visible Monday link up.
    Loving both your holiday style and the beautiful region you visited. Never been there myself, but it looks like a place I would love to spend a few days wandering around in and taking photos

16. October 20, 2014 / 2:37 pm

Oh my goodness, sounds like an awesome anniversary, and I adore your all-white outfit it’s so perfect~
    We went to Point Reyes just for a day-trip last month-ish and loved it too. Great views of the coast, great hiking trails, and although we didn’t do the traditional oyster-shucking we ate some awesome food. Such a great place, thanks for sharing~ and congrats on the magazine that is so cool!

Gina