One Trend, Two Generations: Ponchos and Capes

One Trend, Two Generations: Ponchos and Capes

Tori, my stepdaughter and I are back with another post in our One Trend, Two Generations series. This time we’re wearing ponchos and capes!

The poncho and cape trend has been in fashion for years. Tori and I love them because they are so easy to style and they keep you warm and comfortable. Plus, they are a very forgiving trend. No need to break out the shape wear when you’re draped in a poncho or cape!

Recently, our friends at Montecristi Panama Hats of Napa Valley started carrying their gorgeous capes, shawls and ponchos online. Have a look at the new Capes, Shawls and Ponchos collection (you might recognize the models on their new page!).

onetrendponchos2

Tori is wearing the Mercedes Poncho from Ecuador, named after owner and matron of the Anda family.

It is 100% acrylic so it’s washable and very, very soft. The medium gauge knit will keep you warm, too. It’s like wrapping yourself up in a cozy blanket while looking stylish. For added style and warmth, Tori wears her Milano hat with her poncho, worn without the removable feather plume.

tori-poncho

I’m wearing the Gil Cape from Kuna. Kuna is a Peruvian company that makes high-quality garments with carefully selected natural fibers. The Gil Cape is made from Baby Royal Alpaca fibers making it incredibly soft and giving it a light sheen.

The owners of Montecristi Panama Hat Company gave me this cape a few months ago as a thank you gift as my husband and I did some modeling for their website over the summer. A frustrated model in my teen years, I would have modeled for nothing and am so grateful for this special gift.

adrienne-cape

Tori gave her poncho look some edge by wearing faux leather leggings and black booties with a chunky heel.

tori-poncho3

I thought my cape deserved some extra glamour. I started with a head-to-toe all black outfit – a black turtleneck, Stella Carakasi leggings and tall boots – and accessorized with a Louis Vuitton satchel, gold-rimmed Ray-Bans and a gold tassel necklace. This look combines warm comfort with glamorous style and would work for day or night. The Gil Cape also comes in a deep black shade.

camel-cape

Tori and I love the folded collar and button detail of the Mercedes Poncho, giving it a little extra character. The knitted bands add dimensions of color and texture. The Mercedes Poncho also comes in black.

tori-poncho4

I plan on wearing my cape frequently this season. It keeps me warm, the color is rich and versatile and it’s so luxurious! Next time, I want to style it casually with jeans and perhaps an off-white, lightweight sweater and a cool winter hat.

adrienne-poncho2

Do you wear capes and ponchos?

If so, how do you style yours?

onetrend-poncho

To celebrate the addition of the new online collection, the Anda family of Montecristi Panama Hat Company of Napa Valley is generously offering my readers 20% off any item on the Capes, Shawls and Ponchos page.

Just enter the code PONCHO20 at checkout. Offer good until midnight, PST on November 28th, 2014 (Black Friday).

How I Wear My Badge

A quick reminder that How I Wear My: Sweater is right around the corner! Deadline for submission is December 1st. Send your photo (600 pix or wider, please!) and outfit description to [email protected].

Find out more on the HIWM page and stay in touch by liking How I Wear My on Facebook.

Be sure to see who is wearing what today on Visible Monday!

Visible-Monday-Logo-Public

Make it a rich day!

Disclosure: I was given my poncho/cape as a gift from the Anda Family of Montecristi Panama Hats of Napa Valley last summer. Tori wore the Mercedes Poncho for the post and was given the Milano hat to keep. All opinions expressed here are my own.

1. November 23, 2014 / 9:13 am

Love both of your choices! They look so stylish and cozy.

2. November 23, 2014 / 9:49 am

I love your poncho/capes and you styled them perfectly! You both look so beautiful! I am a big fan of the poncho/cape and have a couple in my closet that I wear a lot. The models on the website look familiar? 😉

Cheryl

3. November 23, 2014 / 10:27 am

That colour looks great on Tori!
    I think your choice is so elegant and the way you have put it together with the black and a bit of gold is perfect. I do not have a poncho but now I think I need one!

4. Your cape is gorgeous Adrienne…but I just love seeing both of you in this post…two lovely ladies!! I wear capes and ponchos and really enjoy them. Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Jill
    November 23, 2014 / 12:36 pm

You two look so gorgeous in your poncho and cape. I adore this look on you both! A lovely friend of mine picked up an amazing poncho for me for $15 at some little shop in Queens, NY. Wouldn’t you know it, it was freezing the very next day, way too cold to wear it. Boo! I hope the weather warms up this week so I can give the poncho a trip outside for the first time! XO, Jill

6. November 23, 2014 / 2:43 pm

Oh wow, I really like these!!!! You both look beautiful in them. I adore the style of Tori’s one and your one is just classic! Hmmm, you’ve inspired me to get my cape and poncho out. I have one of each, both bought for me by my husband without prompting!x

7. November 23, 2014 / 2:50 pm

You both look absolutely stunning! Great choice of colours for a trendy and an elegant look.
    You are so gorgeous together!

Annette | Lady of Style

8. November 23, 2014 / 3:04 pm

Aren’t you both gorgeous in capes? Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you both look like stars. xo

November 23, 2014 / 4:21 pm

You both look absolutely stunning. They’re gorgeous as are both of you. I don’t have one, but now I feel I should have one! Perfect for LA where it starts off at 50 in the morning and then warmed up to 83 today. Light layers are the best. Also would be great for airplane travel.

10. November 23, 2014 / 7:01 pm

You both look adorable! I love this idea for a post series!

Lindsey
    Thrift and Shout

11. November 24, 2014 / 12:24 pm

You both look absolutely gorgeous 🙂 x

12. November 24, 2014 / 1:11 pm

Two beautiful looks! Love you in the neutrals and the gorgeous colors on your daughter.. I think that color would also look beautiful paired with white jeans…As for the neutral it will go with everything!

13. November 24, 2014 / 2:02 pm

Both of you look so stylish, what a great look for fall. I just ordered my first cape online a few days ago, a cute buffalo check number. I can’t wait to receive it!

14. November 25, 2014 / 7:40 am

You both look fabulous. It really makes the outfit stand out when you are 100% black and sleek underneath.

bisous
    Suzanne

15. November 27, 2014 / 6:22 am

Loving these beautiful luxe ponchos! It’s a great trend … fun, cozy, warm … and figure forgiving in time for holiday eating! You and Tori are just the cutest team!
    OXOX