Sweet and Spark

Sweet and Spark

I have always adored vintage jewelry. As a child spending summers in Ohio with my grandmother, I often rifled through her jewelry box and played dress-up with all her colorful, shiny baubles.

In high school, my best friend and I would comb vintage shops in Las Vegas after school let out for chunky rhinestone jewelry, the bigger and louder the better.

What draws me to vintage jewelry as an adult is the attention to detail not easily found in today’s costume jewelry selections. I appreciate the sturdy clasps, tarnish-proof finishes and secured stones as well as the well-made, high-quality materials and construction. Have you ever noticed how vintage pieces are often weightier than their modern counterparts?  It’s no wonder l’ve loved vintage jewelry all my life!

When I heard about Sweet and Spark, an online vintage boutique, I was eager to find out more.

Sweet and Spark is located in the Bay Area with headquarters in San Francisco. Jillian Bremer began Sweet and Spark as a lifestyle blog in 2011. Her position as an apparel buyer for a big clothing company had ended due to the company closing and she decided to take some time off. She found herself returning to a hobby she once shared with her father when she was a child. The two would often spend Saturdays shopping yard sales and flea markets, in search of quality vintage jewelry.

Jillian noticed that her friends loved her vintage pieces and she often found herself giving her treasures to them as gifts. She wondered why, with so much interest, there wasn’t a brand devoted to vintage jewelry. So in 2012, Sweet and Spark was relaunched as a carefully curated online boutique and has been gaining success ever since.

31610_526915907364244_1314820660_n

Jillian’s father is Head Buyer for Sweet and Spark. The father and daughter team travel around the country regularly, scouting for the best vintage pieces from the 1940s through 1990s.  Jillian and her dad call it “Spark hunting'” and even have a hashtag for it (#sparkhuntin’). You can read more about Jillian and her father on the Sweet and Spark “About Us” page.

Jillian offered to let me select a piece from her vast collection. It was not an easy decision as dozens of items caught my eye. Ultimately, I chose this 1980s Monet necklace with a gold finish and tassel detail.

sweetandsparkcloseup

Since it’s such a classic and timeless piece, I like to style it with similar classic and timeless wardrobe pieces.

sweet-and-spark2

I recently purchased this Banana Republic jumpsuit and have loved wearing it. It makes me feel so stylish and it’s very comfortable!

sweet-and-spark3

I wore it to San Francisco last week when attending the Empowering Conversations panel discussion with my friend, Sandee. I added a thrifted Dior cropped jacket (also vintage) and carried a Louis Vuitton clutch.

sweet-and-spark4

Next time I wear this Sweet and Spark necklace, I will style it with something casual and summery like a maxi dress or a white blouse and jeans combination.

sweetandspark7

I love owning a piece of jewelry that is unique, timeless and so well-made that it remains in pristine condition even after 30+ years.  I will shop Sweet and Spark time and time again not only for myself but for special gifts for stylish friends.

Sweet and Spark’s core collection focuses on gold toned jewelry but they also carry lots of rhinestone pieces, a variety of southwest-style items, and even accessories like vintage handbags, shoe clips and hair jewelry. From boho-chic to minimalist, there is something for every taste and style.

sweet-and-spark6

Wedding season is upon us. Be sure to take a look at the beautiful Vintage Wedding Inspiration page. There are so many lovely baubles for brides, bridesmaid parties and mothers-of-the-bride. You can also rent pieces for an occasion. Isn’t that clever?

Jillian is generously offering readers of The Rich Life 20% off all orders from now until the end of June! Just use code RICHLIFE20 checkout.

Make it a rich day!

Disclosure: The vintage Monet necklace was given to me in exchange for promotion. All opinions are, as always, my own.

1. May 20, 2015 / 8:34 am

Thank you so much for the sweet post! I especially love your Dior find 🙂

May 20, 2015 / 8:53 am

Thank YOU, Jillian! I love my Monet necklace and your wonderful shop.
      Hope to meet you in person one day!
      Best to you!
      P.S. Can you believe I found the Dior jacket for $4 at Goodwill??

2. May 20, 2015 / 8:41 am

This is my favorite outfit on your Adrienne since I have been reading your blog…it is so beautiful and chic and that necklace is awesome.

May 20, 2015 / 8:54 am

That is so sweet, Pam! I love the jumpsuit and it’s a “tall” so it actually fits me. Usually jumpsuits are a big NO for me because they never fit. xo

May 20, 2015 / 10:48 am

Ha! Thanks, Erin! What a great compliment! xo

3. May 20, 2015 / 9:49 am

what a stunning necklace and that outfit is spectacular. I just found a very similar jumpsuit and have found it to be a very versatile piece for dressing up and down

May 20, 2015 / 10:48 am

Thank you, Linda!
      I am so happy to have a jumpsuit that actually fits me! I look forward to seeing yours on the blog.

4. Meg
    May 20, 2015 / 2:20 pm

Adore the jumpsuit – when followed link to BR site, it brought me to a black jumpsuit, which appears to be a different style to the jumpsuit you’re wearing. I adore the one you are modeling in the photos, so classy and looks perfect on you. Really great ensemble!

May 20, 2015 / 2:23 pm

Hmm…let me investigate and get back to you. It is a totally fabulous jumpsuit. It has spaghetti straps (I didn’t mean to forget to take photos with my jacket off…or maybe I did – flabby arms).

May 20, 2015 / 2:26 pm

Ugh. You’re right! I picked the wrong jumpsuit. This is the right one and it’s sold out in all sizes except zero! Too bad! http://rstyle.me/n/2g72cxm2e
      If you’re not a size zero, maybe try calling a BR store to see if they have it in your size. I only bought mine less than 2 weeks ago.

5. May 20, 2015 / 3:49 pm

I stopped by from Instagram to comment on your jacket – WHICH I ADORE, to see that fabulous necklace too. Thank you for sharing this website. I too have a great love for vintage jewelry.

May 21, 2015 / 9:05 am

Isn’t the jacket great? I can’t believe it was only $4. Best thrift find ever!

6. May 20, 2015 / 10:26 pm

What a great necklace – such a stunner! I love the chic outfit to make it stand out.

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

May 21, 2015 / 9:04 am

Thanks, Alice!

May 21, 2015 / 5:43 am

I love your jumpsuit and it looks great with your jacket. Would also love a denim jacket with it for a more casual look. Your Monet necklace is gorgeous, and I’m looking forward to pursuing their site.

May 21, 2015 / 9:04 am

I agree – a denim jacket would look great with the jumpsuit too. I’ll have to try that.

8. Hope Varnedoe
    May 21, 2015 / 11:54 am

I absolutely love this look on you, classic and elegant. You look stunning. The necklace is gorgeous. Thank you for highlighting Sweet and Spark. I couldn’t wait to go check out their site. I definitely will be making some purchases there.

9. May 24, 2015 / 11:13 pm

What a beautiful necklace. You look stunning! Hope you’re having a great weekend!