Partners in Style

Partners in Style

Meet Sandee McCready, my longtime friend of 18 years and business partner. You have likely noticed that I have been mentioning Sandee in my posts over the last few months. And you may recall that Sandee modeled in the Spring Luxe Event at Stella Carakasi last month.

adrienne-sandee-lux-life-5

Sandee and I not only share a business and a passion for supporting small businesses – especially women-owned businesses – but we also share similar tastes in fashion. Personally and professionally, we are partners in style.

sandee-adrienne-lux-life-stella6

I have slowly convinced Sandee to let me to post photos of her; she is much more camera shy than I am! Last week Sandee was in How I Wear My for the first time and over the weekend I managed to talk her into doing a photo shoot with me. She has come a long way but not without some pretty funny outtakes. Many of our photos look like this:

sandee-adrienne-lux-life-stella4

Since last September, Sandee and I have been working on a variety of projects that revolve around supporting and marketing small businesses, mainly businesses that make unique, stylish, and/or useful products and are – more often than not – owned and operated by women.

Our latest project is our new shop, The Rich Life. Our growing collection of products includes: Italian handbags and parasols, beauty products, gift ideas, jewelry and more. We also are carrying our favorite designer of lifestyle clothing, Stella Carakasi.

Since we both work out of our homes – Sandee’s in Marin County and mine in Sonoma – we are nearly always dressed casually. Even when we attend business meetings with clients together, we dress casually yet with our own individual styles.

sandee-adrienne-lux-life-stella2

We both love Stella Carakasi for its comfort, high quality, uniqueness and fit. It was only natural for us to want to carry Stella Carakasi in our shop.

Sandee and I own many of the same Stella pieces like this Lux Life Sweater that is part of the latest Spring ’15 Collection. Made of 100% linen, this sweater is ideal for summer layering.

sandee-adrienne-lux-life-stella5

You can wear it over a tank top or camisole, a summer dress or a button-down shirt. And like almost everything Stella makes, this sweater is hand-washable. We thought this versatile sweater would be the ideal first addition to our apparel collection.

The sweater is cropped with dolman sleeves, making it nice and roomy. I am wearing the Small/Medium sweater because I want a cropped look.

adrienne-lux-life-sweater

Sandee is wearing the Large/Extra Large for a slouchier look and she often prefers larger sizes for the longer sleeves and bodice.

sandee-lux-sweater

I am wearing our convertible leather cuff/choker in Like a Fine Cognac. I love navy and cognac together, any time of year but particularly in summer as navy is such a great alternative to black.

adrienne-lux-life-sweater-blog

We are regularly adding new products to our shop. To stay in the know “like” our page on Facebook and sign up for email alerts on exclusive offers at www.shoptherichlife.com. And don’t forget to take 20% off your first purchase by using THERICHLIFE20.

STRL-URL-small-heart-500

Since many of you have known me for a while, I thought I should share with you the Top 10 Things I Think You Should Know About Sandee!

sandee-collage-2

#10 – At 5’9” Sandee is tall but she insists on wearing 4” to 5” heels when she’s around me (I’m 6’2”).

#9 – Sandee has a background in finance and was once an editor for a boutique Wall Street research firm.

#8 – Believe it or not, this blog was once called “Un Peu de Tout” (French for A Little Bit of Everything). Sandee was not a fan of that title and wasn’t shy about telling me. In fact, her exact words were “What in the heck does that mean? No one is going to remember that!” She then went about brainstorming with me for a couple of hours – over a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc – until we came up with the name, The Rich Life on a Budget. It’s hard to believe that was nearly 5 years ago!

#7 – I named a chicken after her in 2008 – she is our last hen and, at 7 years old, even lays an egg now and then.

#6 – Sandee is a native Californian.

#5 – Sandee is adventurous and went skydiving for the first time last fall. And survived!

#4 – She is athletic and excels at golf, basketball, archery, skeet shooting, and her favorite sport: cornhole!

#3 – Sandee loves anything camouflage – really, anything.

#2 – Sandee has an adorable and very neurotic Havanese named Lucy who lets me put sunglasses on her.

And the #1 thing I think you should know about Sandee:

sandee-adrienne-lux-life-stella3

Sandee is the best business partner I could ever ask for. She is level-headed with a savvy business mind and superior writing skills (always getting after me for misplaced commas and quotation marks). She is also an excellent communicator who is open, kind and trustworthy. And she is fun to work with. I am so grateful to be partners in style and in business with her!

Plus she makes photoshoots SO much more fun than they usually are!

sandee-collage

Do you have a partner in style?

Someone who shares your sense of fashion, your sense of humor or both?

Make it a rich day!

1. June 9, 2015 / 6:49 pm

Such a beautiful post my dear! It was such a true pleasure to meet Sandee at the Stella Carakasi fashion show and so lovely to learn more about her here! You two make a fabulous team … as well as a gorgeous one to be sure! Biggest of congrats to you both on your newest business endeavor!

xoxo
    Tamera

June 11, 2015 / 9:49 am

Thank you, dearest Tamera! We love working with you. I can’t wait to see you soon!
      xo, A

June 11, 2015 / 9:49 am

We get that all the time!

2. Chrissy
    June 9, 2015 / 7:36 pm

Love the sweaters ladies. It looks like you had a good time on the photo shoot. Sandee is photogenic just like you are and I think she should make more appearances on the blog. Great post, as always.

June 11, 2015 / 9:49 am

I think so too, Chrissy. And she will for sure! Really all it takes is a little wine and a cute outfit 😉
      I need to get you on the blog when I come to Vegas…deal?

3. June 10, 2015 / 7:39 am

Congratulation Adrienne and Sandee!! I am happy for you… You are partners in style and I wish you both all the success in the world. Much love…

June 11, 2015 / 9:47 am

Thank you, Sylvia! xoxo

4. June 10, 2015 / 7:41 am

I don’t think Sandee knows how fabulous she looks! You two ladies look adorable!!

June 11, 2015 / 9:44 am

She is so fabulous in so many ways!

5. Linda Salazar
    June 10, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Adrienne, Looks like you and Sandee will make a great team! How funny that she was the person behind your blog name change…I think when I started reading Rich Life you had just switched over.

My friend Beverly and I have know each other since high school. (she was in the photo booth pic that I emailed you last year from Amanda’s wedding) She was my partner in style when we used to hit the mall in our teens & 20’s. (we were little shopaholics…even used to call in sick to work the 1st day of the Nordstrom sale) Although we haven’t really shopped together in many years we still have similar fashion styles and fun no matter what we are doing!

Thanks for introducing Sandee and I’m sure we will see more of her. You definitely are partners in style!

June 11, 2015 / 9:46 am

Yes, Un Peu de Tout did not last long. Even I had a hard time remembering it! Thank goodness Sandee was nice enough to point out how awful that name was!
      I do remember seeing the photo of you with Beverly. Don’t you love having a friend who shares your taste in fashion? Our only problem is that we own SO many of the same clothes and accessories – we often have to coordinate what we’re wearing so we don’t look like twins!
      Looking forward to seeing you soon (I hope!)
      xo, A

6. Debra Devincenzi
    June 10, 2015 / 4:09 pm

She is great! and she is the perfect partner for you. Great story!

June 11, 2015 / 9:44 am

Thanks, Debra! She is the perfect partner for me…and hopefully, I for her!

7. June 10, 2015 / 10:10 pm

You both are gorgeous – how fun that you’re working together!

June 11, 2015 / 9:44 am

Thank you, Lana! That is so kind of you to say.
      We love working together – we are so fortunate to be able to maintain a friendship while also being business partners.

June 11, 2015 / 5:04 pm

I love this post, it makes me feel like I know her a bit. You two look like you have a great time together as well as being excellent business partners. She also seems like she has a great sense of humor, love the photos of her cracking up. And…I totally understand about wearing the heels around you. I’m thinking of getting custom made stilts.

9. June 14, 2015 / 11:17 am

You both are precious and love the style. I just had to pin you to my board called NEVER FULLY DRESSED WITHOUT A SMILE!! It makes me miss my style bFF who use to be on the blog with me until she moved away. Enjoy each moment and I cannot wait to see more from both of you!

10. June 14, 2015 / 12:52 pm

So great to meet Sandee on your blog now too and I love the photoshoot together. You can tell you were both having so much fun too . Love that she plays golf & basketball and it’s so cool she helped come up with the name Rich Life on a Budget. I have to admit, I wouldn’t have known what the French phrase was either so that’s what best friends are for…honesty. So excited for your store and of course thankful you both love supporting woman and small business. 🙂

xoDale

11. Dana
    June 14, 2015 / 5:17 pm

I love your blog because it contains great tips of living a “rich life on a budget.” I appreciate your posts about purchasing vintage finds for very little, and using an object to create numerous outfits. These posts resonate with me because I am a single mom with three children living on a very limited budget. Having said all that, I am wondering if you will sell anything in your new online store that is reasonably priced? I was excited to see your new business venture and greatly admire women succeeding. However, you are selling very expensive products and clothing, particularly when you seemingly promote “living on a budget.” Sorry, but I cannot afford a sweater that cost over a hundred dollars.

June 15, 2015 / 8:18 am

I’m sorry to disappoint you, Dana! Sandee and I have taken lots of time and care into the curation of this collection of items we love – that are high-quality, unique and made by small business people. That does not always translate into low prices, unfortunately. For the quality and craftsmanship standards we adhere to, we believe the prices are reasonable. I would much rather spend $280 on a superior handbag that will last me decades than $50 on a bag that will barely get me through the season. I enjoy holding onto things for many years and am willing to pay more for quality and uniqueness.
      I do hope you will check back as items are being added every week. Perhaps you will find something that interests you and works within your budget.
      Please understand that I do not promote “living on a budget” but rather living a wonderful and rich life despite not having great wealth. I apologize if you find the title is misleading. Best to you! Adrienne

12. June 18, 2015 / 9:27 pm

Looks like you two are having a great time!
    She looks very comfortable in front of the camera…and I love those sweaters.

13. Rita
    June 25, 2015 / 11:47 am

I love this, and I wish you and Sandee great success. Like Dana, I can’t afford too much of what you’re offering, however I think it’s wise to look at these things, and then try as much as possible to find less expensive versions of the things we wish we could just buy! It’s always important to maintain our ability to judge good quality, and we must see the great stuff in order to do that.

14. Pingback: Glen Ellen Star