Catching Up

Catching Up

Happy August!

I don’t often post on Saturdays but I thought it would be a good time for a bit of catching up!

It’s been a long week for me and even longer one for my husband, Bill, who was dispatched in the middle of the night last Sunday night to one of the many wild land fires burning in our state right now. He is doing fine and not in any terrible danger but you just never know with the incredibly high fire risk in California this summer. At least this time he is within cell range so we can at least call each other and text photos back and forth.

Lowell-fire

Bill took this photo at the Lowell Fire: a helicopter dropping water on hard-to-reach areas

To say I worry about him the entire time he’s gone is not an exaggeration. I barely sleep when Bill’s away and am always looking for new ways to distract myself, keeping those restless feelings at bay. Thankfully I have friends who don’t mind hanging out with me and an endless list of projects to work on.

You would think after nearly 17 summers of this, I would be used to it but it never gets easier! I know there are thousands of other families in the same predicament right now. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy while enduring this terrible drought and fire season. Along with most everyone else in California, I am praying for a wet fall.

On a lighter note, the newest issue of North Bay Woman Magazine came out yesterday which you can buy at many Marin County supermarkets or read online here.

nbw-july

I love finding about inspiring women in our region and hope to get a chance to meet the cover model, Bridget Doherty of Encore Events, someday soon.

I was thrilled and honored to see that my article made the cover this time. What a wonderful surprise!

nbw-july2

Be sure to check out the fashion feature, styled by my friend, Malia Anderson of Style by Malia. And there’s an article about Mariah Smith who you may remember from her Modern Beauty portraits.

This weekend, since Bill is still away, I am going to start reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and prepare for a major decluttering this month.

tidying-up

I haven’t purged my closet in ages and lately, with new Shop The Rich Life inventory steadily coming in and going out and lots of shipping materials needed, our house feels overloaded with stuff. I hope this book will give me the motivation I need to organize and tidy up. I know lots of people who have raved about this book and this method. Have you read it?

I’ll also be working on the next How I Wear My post which is going live Wednesday, August 5th.

How I Wear My Badge

The theme for August is Straw Hat and the deadline for submission is Monday, August 3rd. Email a photo of you in your straw hat, along with a brief description of your look, to [email protected]. Visit the How I Wear My page for more information.

straw-hats-table

The photo above is from last year’s photo shoot with Montecristi Panama Hats of Napa Valley.

Wouldn’t it be fun to play dress-up with all these beautiful straw hats?

Make it a rich day!

1. August 1, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Keeping Bill in my thoughts and prayers!! Congrats on having your article featured! What an amazing accomplishment!

August 3, 2015 / 11:50 am

Thank you, Erin. It sounds like he will be sent out again Wednesday unless things calm down significantly. Thank you for your kind words! xo

2. August 2, 2015 / 3:46 am

Adrienne, I just prayed for safety for your husband…I know this is a tough time in California

August 3, 2015 / 11:49 am

Thank you, Pam. It is a very tough season this year. Hoping for cooler and damper weather. Thank you for your prayer. xo

August 3, 2015 / 8:36 am

I know that Bill is now home safely, but also that he could be called upon again any time. Normal to be worried and restless while he’s away, and so much gratitude to all the firefighters who put their lives in danger. I also am really hoping for a very wet fall and winter.
    Congratulations on the magazine.

August 3, 2015 / 11:48 am

Hi Kathy – Just got word today that Bill is being sent out again Wednesday. Resources are stretched so thinly right now, he doesn’t have much of a choice. Hoping the best for this latest fire – last I heard it had grown to 60,000+ acres.
      Thank you for the kind words. xoxo, A

4. August 4, 2015 / 9:31 am

Wow Adrienne that is intense. I will definitely keep you and your husband in my prayers this summer. You never truly understand the risk and sacrifices people make until you are directly affected. Like I said though I’ll keep you on my mind during this season, and I’ll dance for some fall rain!

5. Linda Salazar
    August 4, 2015 / 3:05 pm

Oh no, Bill has to go out again? I can understand you worrying…I worry about Tony if I expect him home at a certain time and he isn’t there. I usually call to check on him. I can’t imagine if he had an occupation like Bill’s. Although I will get a taste of that when Nick and Amanda are done with deputy academy. (they are halfway done!) Although they will both be working in the jails after graduation Nick ultimately wants to be on patrol. Not that working at the jail is that safe either but not as bad.

Congrats on your magazine article!

I have that book on order at the library. I’m decluttering the kitchen a little already today so I got a head start! Tony bought me one of those big steel shelving units at Lowe’s to store all my Ebay inventory & boxes on. It’s in our spare room off the garage. Not sure if you would have room for something like that? It was such a great idea on his part, not sure why I didn’t think of that first!