Boho Dresses

Boho Dresses

Lately I have been loving – and buying – dresses. Maybe I have been wearing jeans too often and for too long. Or perhaps I am simply ready to expand my fashion horizons and get in touch with my feminine side. Whatever the reason, I have more dresses in my closet now than I ever have. And I actually wear them!

While my husband, Bill, was fighting the Valley Fire last month my stepdaughter and I spent a day together. First we dropped off several bags of items we purchased for the fire victims. A friend organized a big collection drive and we more than happy to contribute some necessities. Afterward, we decided to grab a light bite to eat then do a little shopping. It had been such a long time since Tori and  did girly things together, just the two of us.

Tori asked if we could stop off at Bella Vita. Janis, the owner and my friend, used to have a shop here in our tiny village of Kenwood. If you’ve been reading my blog for a long time you may remember I was in a fashion show for Janis. Back then, her shop carried mostly vintage and consignment clothing and accessories. She has moved to the plaza in Sonoma and now carries a variety of new clothing from all sorts of designers.

From mid-century ladylike dresses (think Mad Men) to Victorian-style lace frocks (think Downton Abbey), and even Boho Chic, Janis has something for every fashion-lovers’ taste and style.

Tori and I had such fun trying on clothes. We must have tried on 20 things each, at least! I tend to favor the Boho look and when I came upon this lace Boho dress, I fell instantly in love. There is something so flirty, wearable and sweet about this dress. I had to have it!

lace-dress-2

It’s sheer so you need to wear something underneath.  I tried on several different tank dresses before deciding on one just below the knee in a mocha color. For a spring look, a pastel or ivory tank dress would look great!

lace-dress-hat

My Australian Outback hat from Montecristi Panama Hats of Napa Valley was just the accessory I wanted to add a little edge to this feminine dress.

hat-boho-dress

I thought flats would be the best choice for this dress. I bought these Steve Madden Eleanorr suede lace-up flats in both black and taupe a couple of weeks ago and wear a pair almost everyday. I wore the black ones in the Fall Style Event at Stella Carakasi. They made walking the runway a breeze!

lace-dress-no-hat

I kept my jewelry simple and wore only a thin gold chain with a crystal pendant from Meghan Bo Designs, a local Sonoma jewelry artist I recently discovered.

lace-dress-hat-close-up

I adore this lace Boho dress and hope to wear it a few more times before winter arrives.

lace-dress-full

I also bought this blue embroidered midi dress by PPLA at Bella Vita Sonoma. I love how soft and comfortable it is and easy to throw on and go. All I need to add is a pair of cute shoes or booties and some toned down jewelry and I’m set.

blue-dress3

I wore a simple gold personalized “The Rich Life” necklace with my Boho dress.

blue-dress-close-up

And a Michal Golan white evil eye bracelet/cuff.

blue-embroidered-dress

I love the embroidered floral pattern of this dress. And I appreciate that it has a lining from the waist to the top of the thighs so there’s no need to wear a slip.

blue-embroidered-dress2

I’m confident my love for dresses – especially Boho dresses – will continue. They can make such a statement and, depending on the dress, can be a comfortable way to look stylish!

Monday, October 5th is the last day to submit your photo to be featured in How I Wear My: Poncho or Wrap. Send in a photo of you wearing your poncho or wrap to [email protected] by the end of the day on Monday to be featured and be sure to include a description of your outfit. For more information, visit the How I Wear My page.

How I Wear My Badge

I’m linking up today with Visible Monday and Style Nudge.

Make it a rich day!

1. October 4, 2015 / 5:38 pm

This is a beautiful post! Both your dresses are amazing and you look fabulous! It is so funny because the last couple of my posts have been about my new found love of dresses. I have not been much of a dress girl, ever, but lately I am hooked on unstructured sweater dresses that I can style casually. And then today I found a burgundy faux suede shift dress and ordered it immediately! I can’t wait for it to arrive so I can style it. Have a great week! Peace! Cheryl

October 5, 2015 / 10:24 am

I wonder why we’re both loving dresses suddenly? I used to only wear them when necessary (attending a wedding or funeral, for example…or the occasional fancy party). Now I wear them whenever I feel like it which is often!
      I can’t wait to see your new suede shift dress!

2. October 4, 2015 / 6:30 pm

I like the blue one on you a lot, Adrienne! You look lovely as always!

October 5, 2015 / 10:25 am

Me too, Pam. I’m taking it with me on a trip later this week…it’s so easy to wear!

3. October 4, 2015 / 6:40 pm

I think that both dresses look stunning. The white one with those mocha flats is my fav, though. So sorry to be missing HIWM this month…I’m just not a poncho kind of girl, I guess.

October 5, 2015 / 10:25 am

Oh, too bad! What about a wrap? Do you wear those? There’s still a little time left – hate to miss you this month for HIWM 🙁

4. October 5, 2015 / 4:39 am

Just gorgeous! The ivory lace is stunning – and you look wonderful in both dresses!

-patti

October 5, 2015 / 10:26 am

Thank you, Patti! xo

5. October 5, 2015 / 4:39 am

Oh I love both of these dresses on you! And boho dresses always look great with a hat. Have fun with these before colder weather sets in. xo

October 5, 2015 / 10:26 am

Boho clothes and floppy or wide-brimmed hats are like peanut butter and jelly…they just go together!
      Thanks for stopping by, Diane!

6. October 5, 2015 / 4:56 am

What beautiful dresses Adrienne! I love the ease and comfort that they exude and you just slip them on and go. I don’t wear dresses that often, but I think they are such a simple way to look pulled together in one swipe. You have inspired me to dust off my dresses, thank you! Oh, and I adore you hat!
    Come on over and link up your fab outfits on the SHOE AND TELL Fashion Link Up today on Style Nudge.

Cherie

October 5, 2015 / 10:22 am

I love clothes that are easy – just throw them on and out the door you go. I don’t like fussiness!
      I linked up with you today at your suggestion…will make it a regular plan on Mondays!

October 5, 2015 / 5:44 am

Both dresses look great on you, and I think you can wear them year round. Just add tights and boots, or even loafers. I’ve seen lots of editorials with dresses styled that way for winter, with a coat over them.

October 5, 2015 / 10:21 am

I will try that, Kathy! I think with a little jacket I could make it work too. And who knows how cold it will actually get this winter anyway…seems winters in California just keep getting warmer and warmer each year.

8. October 5, 2015 / 8:13 am

Lovely dresses and wonderful photos.

October 5, 2015 / 10:21 am

Thank you so much, Josep-Maria!

9. October 5, 2015 / 8:22 am

Hello Adrienne!
    What a nice post. Girls who grow up in the 70’s do like a good boho dress! Really like dresses with contrasting embroideries and your blue dress is simply lovely. I’m also very parcial for hats LOL
    Have a nice week,
    Manuela

October 5, 2015 / 10:20 am

Yes, maybe that’s why I love boho anything…harkening back to childhood days!
      I love a good hat and this one is my very, very favorite. Thank you for stopping by, Manuela.

10. October 5, 2015 / 8:33 am

I love both dresses but especially the color, length and detailing on the midi dress. As a fellow “6’2er” myself, I know it can be REALLY difficult to find a midi dress that hits at just the right spot on your leg but you have definitely succeeded with this one and I love how you paired it with peep-toe booties. Isn’t shopping with a female family member fun? Your description of your dressing room marathon with Tori reminded me of when my mom came to visit me in Europe and we went to a tall specialty shop and tried stuff on for 2 hours! It was such a fabulous time!

October 5, 2015 / 10:19 am

You’re right, Beth. I don’t really come across dresses the length of the blue one very often. It’s a great length!
      I can only do marathon try-ons when I am in the mood. Normally I despise trying on clothes!
      I bet you and your mom had a blast!

October 6, 2015 / 11:34 am

Thanks, Erin!

11. October 5, 2015 / 1:54 pm

I seem to live in jeans too, I think I need to take inspiration from you and buy more dresses. Your lace maxi dress is beautiful, so romantic. Your navy embroidered dress is so flattering. You look great.

October 6, 2015 / 11:33 am

Thank you, Lorna Mai!
      I am in jeans again today…but a dress tomorrow for sure. It’s all about balance, right? 🙂
      Thank you for stopping by!

12. Linda Salazar
    October 5, 2015 / 2:37 pm

Oh I love the blue dress on you Adrienne! And the bracelet too, of course! 🙂

October 6, 2015 / 11:32 am

Yes! I wear that bracelet all the time. Do you wear yours a lot?
      xo, A

• Linda Salazar
        October 6, 2015 / 2:13 pm

Yes, whenever I get the chance!

13. October 6, 2015 / 10:12 am

These are both gorgeous but I really like the blue one.

bisous
    Suzanne

October 6, 2015 / 11:27 am

Thanks, Suzanne! I have got the blue one all packed up and ready to take on a trip with me later this week. It’s so comfortable and easy to wear – plus it’s cute!
      Looking forward to HIWM tomorrow. Thank you for your submission!