Around Here Lately

Around Here Lately

I had hoped to have a fashion post for you today but with the continuous and rather heavy rains (hooray!), all I’ve been wearing lately are jeans, long-sleeved tees, my wellies and a raincoat. Not very interesting! Sunnier weather is in the forecast starting today so it won’t be long before I’ve got some spring fashion posts for you.

Until then, I thought I’d take this opportunity to tell you what’s been happening around here lately.

You may or may not have noticed that the blog is undergoing a little remodel. Most of the changes are small and are meant to make the site easier for you to navigate.

I added a drop down menu on the How I Wear My page called “Archives” with all the How I Wear My posts that have appeared on my blog since 2011. And, because some of you who want to participate in How I Wear My occasionally miss the deadline, Jill and I created an email subscription dedicated to How I Wear My.

You may sign up in the box below or on the sidebar of my blog or Jill’s. We promise not to inundate you emails. It’s meant primarily for reminders and anything newsworthy having to do with HIWM.

Since we’re on the topic of How I Wear My, the theme for April is Boho and the deadline for submission is April 2nd. Email your photo and a description of your Boho look to [email protected].

The other noticeable change on my blog is the absence of my Favorite Blogs page. I added an RSS feed to the sidebar last week so that my favorite blogs were listed by latest post. Unfortunately I deleted the Favorite Blogs page in the process.

Once I discovered the RSS feed was slowing down my site down to a crawl, I had to get rid of it. I am weighing other options and am wondering if you utilize the blog roll when you visit. Since there is no way for me to tell how often it’s used, maybe you can tell me in the comments if you want me to keep one on the blog or not. Would you miss it if I didn’t bring it back?

Other things happening around here lately are a couple of exciting features. I was so thrilled to be included in this article on Bustle.com over the weekend. It’s all about tall women who wear heels – which I am and which I do.

I love the title and agree that being “too tall” is not a thing! Be sure to see all 21 tall women and find out what they have to say about wearing high heels.

Bustle.com

I was also mentioned in a post by Alison of Wardrobe Oxygen. Alison wrote about her favorite over 40 fashion blogs in the US. Many of my fellow bloggers and friends were also included on this list, and surely a few of your favorite bloggers too.

I am so grateful to live in an era when being a woman over 40 is celebrated. Growing older no longer means you fade away into the background at 35, like generations of women before us were often expected to do. I am excited – rather than petrified – about turning 50 next year and part of me can’t wait to be a member of the 50 and over crowd!

wardrobe-oxygen-over-40

I have a somewhat new hobby that is taking up my free time and occupying lots of space in my head lately. Calling it my passion is probably a more accurate way to describe my love for taking photos. I recently decided this passion for photography was worth investing in and bought myself a new camera.

Allow me introduce you to my newest treasure: an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II with a silver body. It’s a mirrorless camera. What is a mirrorless camera, you ask? I had no idea myself. In a sentence, it’s a lightweight, small camera that uses interchangeable lenses and has no optical mirrors.

Olympus OMD

I bought an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ Lens and an Olympus MSC ED-M 75 to 300mm II f4.8-6.7 Zoom Lens to go with it.

Olympus Mirrorless

This camera is small enough to carry in my handbag so I rarely leave the house without it. If you have a yard, don’t invite me over unless you don’t mind me creeping around taking photos of your leaves and flowers.

Allow me to indulge in sharing some of my favorite photos taken with my new camera with you.

This one was taken at my father-in-law’s yesterday. He has lots of lovely flowers in his yard right now like this purple freesia.

Freesia

This bucolic scene is not far from my house.

I often wake up before dawn and head to one of many vineyards and fields in our town to take morning photos to post on my Instagram feed.

Wine Country Sunrise

My new camera has artistic settings that are fun to play with. This photo was taken in a nearby mustard field using the Dramatic setting.

Mustard field

There is something so exhilarating being outside in nature, getting wet and muddy just to get that one shot.

Kenwood Vineyards

Kunde Winery

This morning it wasn’t raining for the first time in a few days so I took my camera to a nearby winery at sunrise and grabbed this shot. It might be my favorite of the bunch.

Wine Country Sunrise

Discovering this passion for photography has enriched my life in so many ways. Learning to use this new camera is good for my brain and I love getting creative and experimenting with its features.

I also find myself focusing much more on beauty, color, textures, art and nature which is certainly a wonderful – and rich – way to live!

Thank you for allowing me to share my hobby with you and fill you in with what’s been happening around here lately.

What’s been happening with you?

What are your favorite hobbies?

Make it a rich day!

1. March 14, 2016 / 2:06 pm

GORGEOUS photos! You have a great eye. And I thank you for the Bustle piece because as you know I am NOT tall but my daughter is quite tall and I cannot wait to share this with her. Best, 🙂 Ana

March 15, 2016 / 11:07 am

Great idea, Ana! I know how hard it is being a tall young person – the harassment I endured in high school was horrible. I think seeing other tall women who embrace their height when I was a kid would have been very helpful. There are some young women on that list your daughter might identify with!

2. March 14, 2016 / 2:53 pm

🙂 I’ve noticed the change in your pictures on Instagram – the last ones were amazing.
    You got yourself quite a nice camera! Congratulations on being featured in magazines. Well deserved, dear Adrienne!
    In regard to your question, I don’t mind if your blogroll is no longer there. I have one, too and I’m not sure if people look into it.
    I think I’ve sign up for the HIWM email, but I’m not sure if it worked.

Have a very HAPPY week and all the best form Vienna 🙂

March 15, 2016 / 11:31 am

Hi Claudia – I look back at photos I took a year or more ago and I sort of cringe! I have come a long way, that is for sure. I think that just happens over time when you still with something…practice makes almost perfect!
      I will check the email list and see if you’re on there.
      The blog roll may have to be a thing of the past for now…my web person is looking for another solution so we shall see!
      Have a wonderful week! I hope to visit Vienna one day – maybe next year for my 50th? 🙂

3. March 14, 2016 / 4:42 pm

I have noticed your beautiful pictures on IG too and wondered if you had a new camera…Great images!
    My blog roll is quite dated too as many bloggers have stopped blogging and I wondered if I should eliminate mine…look forward to more lovely pictures with your new camera.
    Cheers!
    Leslie

March 15, 2016 / 11:27 am

Thank you, Leslie! It’s really changed the way I see the world – I am much more excited about mornings now because I look forward to seeing what kind of sunrise we will have.
      I don’t know what to do about a blog roll. Part of the issue is being on WordPress. There aren’t any good plug-ins that offer a blog roll that updates. I had one when I first moved over to WP but the owner of the plug-in abandoned it and it stopped working. I may need to go without because I don’t want to return to a stagnant list. Not really very useful when it won’t update. Hope all is well up north! Adrienne

4. March 14, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Love the new photos. The last one is especially pretty. You should frame it. Clearly you deserve a new camera! You use it so much. I never heard of mirrorless before. I’ll have to check it out. I’m really looking for something that I can put in my purse more easily right now. Sick of my big camera! Congrats on being recognized by these blogs! So nice. I just changes my blogroll to a page, but maybe I need to eliminate too. I wonder if anyone gets much traffic from it?

Have a good week! Kim

5. Trish
    March 15, 2016 / 1:20 am

I always look at blog rolls, if that is any help. It has helped me find some of the most interesting blogs which I now spend too much time reading . Thanks for continuing with your page. It’s always an inspiration.

March 15, 2016 / 10:58 am

Hello Trish, I have hired a website consultant to help me with some issues I have with my site – one being the absence of a blog roll that updates. We are still trying to figure out a way to make it work. I don’t want to go back to my stagnant list – takes up too much space and it’s not refreshed. Hopefully we will find a solution! Thank you for sharing your opinion! I appreciate it. A

6. March 15, 2016 / 5:50 am

I was about to comment on your IG a few days ago about how incredible your photos have been. I absolutely love them! Doesn’t this hobby instantly change your outlook on life? Every tiny detail becomes a beauty.
    I also loved reading the article about you (fortunate) tall, heel wearing ladies. Standing tall and proud is what life is all about! Great work all around, you lovely lady

March 15, 2016 / 10:54 am

Hi Trina – thank you! Photography is a hobby that changes your outlook on things. I am always – and I mean always – looking around these days to see what catches my eye to photograph. Sometimes my husband and I will go for photo drives where we just drive around our area, looking for cool things to take photos of. I am so lucky to have a husband who shares my passion for photography!
      I agree, Trina, standing tall and proud no matter what your height is the way to go! Lovely to hear from you and hope you’re having a wonderful week!

March 15, 2016 / 6:13 am

Your photos are fantastic, you have a great eye for composition which has always been evident even when you shot photos with your phone. I love your new camera, seriously considering buying it.

Very good feature on tall women wearing heels.

March 15, 2016 / 10:46 am

Thank you, Kathy. It is exhilarating to be so enthralled with a hobby. I know you are familiar with that feeling in regards to your art.
      I thought the tall women wearing heels article was nicely done. I like that site! I hadn’t heard of it before. Had you?

8. Linda Salazar
    March 15, 2016 / 9:22 pm

You captured some beautiful photos Adrienne…sounds like you are enjoying your new hobby!

Being 5’9″, I tend to steer clear of high heels these days, my limit is usually 3″. But it’s mainly because I just don’t feel comfortable is really tall shoes anymore, I feel like I might topple over!

March 16, 2016 / 7:46 am

Hi Linda,

Yes, 3″ is my max and it has to be a chunky heel. I will for sure topple over wearing one of those skinny stilettos!
      Hope all is well in SD!