One Trend, Two Generations: Off the Shoulder

One trend two generations Mothers Day

Today I am sharing a special Mother’s Day edition of the One Trend, Two Generations series I have been doing with my stepdaughter, Tori, for the last few years.

One trend two generations Mothers Day

I am a stepmother to her and her two older siblings, Kayla and Ryan. All three are now in their twenties. I have been in their lives since Tori was 4-years-old. How time flies!

They have always sweetly acknowledged me on Mother’s Day as one of their parents and this Mother’s Day is no different. We are celebrating today, Saturday, so that they could be with their mother on Sunday, as they should be.

Tori and I were planning on another One Trend, Two Generations post featuring off-the-shoulder tops and thought Mother’s Day weekend would be the ideal time for this kind of post!

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

Tori happened to be housesitting for our friends, Michelle and Bill, who live in an absolutely darling house in Sonoma. They have two cute little black poodles – Murphy and Finnegan – who got along surprisingly well with my Yorkies, Daisy and Coco.

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

We had a great time playing catch, taking photos, swinging on the porch swing, laying in the hammock, riding around on Michelle’s cute bike and just enjoying their charming Wine Country home.

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

Tori and I had our outfits planned out until Tori, who had just washed and dried her off-the-shoulder dress by Band of Gypsies, discovered it shrank so much in the length, she couldn’t wear it anymore.

One trend two generations Mothers Day

So I had her wear my off-the-shoulder top that I just got at Gap and I wore her dress as a top.

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

It all worked out in the end but we’re both sad the dress shrank because it was so adorable on her. My Gap top looked pretty darn cute on her too!

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

Kayla, Tori’s older sister, just happened to be wearing blue as well when she came over for a visit. Although it looks like we planned that, we real didn’t!

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

I love the off-the-shoulder trend. I think it’s a great way to add a bit of sexiness to your look – no matter what your generation – without showing too much skin.

One Trend Two Generations Mothers Day

The only down side for me is having to wear a strapless bra. I really don’t think there is such a thing as a comfortable strapless bra. That might be an oxymoron. I can only wear this trend as long as I can stand the discomfort!

One trend two generations Mothers Day

I am very fortunate, not having kids of my own, to have three wonderful stepkids. I am proud and grateful I was able to have a small hand in raising these now adults and am happy to call them special friends.

One trend two generations Mothers Day

If you are celebrating this weekend, I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

And Happy Mother’s Day to my own mother. Many miles separate us but we are together in spirit.

Didn’t catch the live online Stella Carakasi webcast last Tuesday night?

Replay-Registration-Womens-fashion-webinars-600x315

You can see it in its entirety here!

Make it a rich day!

1. Michelle
    May 7, 2016 / 1:54 pm

LOVE this post! I also LOVE all of the clothes in it. I’m ready to try to the OTS tops when the sun comes out!

2. julie
    May 7, 2016 / 7:41 pm

great photos – I especially love the yellow door. You both look so beautiful and it’s a great style.

May 8, 2016 / 6:19 am

I’m laughing because as soon as I saw this post, I thought – “oh no, you have to wear a strapless bra” and I despise them! You both look great, actually all three of you do, but I think I’d only do this over a bathing suit because of the bra situation. Love the blue on all of you too.

4. May 8, 2016 / 2:25 pm

🙂 I think the two of you look absolutely gorgeous!
    I hate strapless bras as much as you do – so it would probably be a no-go fro me.
    My stepdaughter often helps me with the pictures of my blog. I’ve known her since she was about 4 years old.
    Hope you had a wonderful (Mother’s) Day.
    All the best from Vienna 🙂

5. Linda Salazar
    May 8, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Hi Adrienne, I have been wanting an off shoulder blouse but haven’t gotten around to it…probably because of the strapless bra issue. Nothing more annoying than constantly tugging and pulling up your bra. I have to say though I found a good Wacoal strapless bra that stays up pretty well. Better than most.

You both look great…hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Sadly Amanda and Nick had to work 12 hr shifts today…she is on days right now and he is on nights. First time I have not seen her on Mother’s Day in 28 years! We are planning something for next weekend when they are off.

• June 5, 2016 / 5:57 am

Wacoal is a very good bra brand. I have good experiences with it too. Just haven’t tried strapless.
      Greetje

6. Chrissy
    May 9, 2016 / 2:07 pm

Love the look on both of you. And that bike with the basket! I need one. The yorkies look adorable in the basket. Happy Mother’s Day!

May 10, 2016 / 8:02 am

Isn’t that bike adorable? It’s Michelle’s. I went looking at bikes like it over the weekend and am thinking about getting one. With a basket for Daisy and Coco, of course! xo

7. May 13, 2016 / 7:19 am

Both of your outfits are gorgeous! I’m loving the off the shoulder trend. Definitely got to get myself some tops like these!

8. June 5, 2016 / 5:59 am

This is a very warm, moving post. I love it. And I like your outfits. I have only once tried strapless, when I was in my twenties. Never again I said. I ended up with 4 boobs, 2 around my waist. Very pretty…. (NOT).
    Greetje