One Black Shirt Dress, 6 Ways to Wear it!

One Black Shirt Dress, 6 Ways to Wear it!

I love to take one well-fitting basic piece or foundational outfit, as I did previously in several posts including 10 Easy Looks, 1 Basic Foundation and 5 Statements Looks, 1 Basic Foundation, and create multiple outfits using my accessories and other items from my wardrobe. Not only is this a useful activity that saves me time and energy deciding what to wear in the future but it’s fun too!

This time around I chose to style a simple black shirt dress I bought at Old Navy recently. I found it easy to create 6 ways to wear this lightweight and comfortable dress. It is sure to be the ideal dress to wear as we transition from the long hot days of summer into the slightly cooler days of early fall here in Wine Country.

I’ll begin with just the basic look with no accessorizing, outside of nude ballet flats. As you can see, this dress is a true shirt dress, buttoning all the way up the front. I bought a “tall” size and was happy to discover the dress hits me right at the knee. It comes with a removable belt and two tiny looped belt holes.

black shirtdress

For my first styled look, I wore a summery Panama hat – borrowed from my husband –  my everyday gold pendant from Florence, Italy, black sandals (similar) and my bone-colored Kate Spade bag. This is an outfit I would wear to a winery or out to an al fresco lunch with friends.

black shirtdress with hat

For my next look I went a bit dressier. I tied an Hermès Silk Duc Carriage Horse Twilly scarf, a gift from a friend,  around my neck and threw on some black sunglasses. I wore a block heeled sandal by Miz Mooz (similar).

black shirtdress

For my third look, I went for a “Weekend at the Farmers Market” casual outfit with a denim jacket (thrifted), TOMS Avalon slip-ons, and instead of a handbag, I carried my favorite farmers market tote.

black shirtdress

For a look with a boho vibe, I wore a beaded tassel necklace by KayandStar (similar), my gladiator sandals and carried a Mulberry Bayswater bag (similar). When the weather gets chilly, I can layer this look with a long cardigan in black or another neutral color.

black shirtdress

For a date night look, I took off the belt that comes with the dress and added a leather wrap belt by ADA Collection. It easily covers the small belt loops on the waist of the dress. I wore flat strappy sandals (similar) and carried a Rebecca Minkoff tassel clutch for some added color.

black shirtdress

For my final look, I folded a light blue and yellow Versace silk scarf I bought in a town near Milan several years ago into a belt, wore strappy flat sandals and carried my Adora by Adrienne bag.

black shirtdress with scarf belt

I will be giving this shirt dress lots of attention in the months ahead. I hope to wear it in cooler weather, too, with tights, booties, tall boots, shawls and jackets. I think this would make a great dress for travel too!

black shirtdress

Have you added any shirt dresses to your wardrobe this season?

Make it a rich day!

1. August 15, 2016 / 5:29 am

I always love seeing you style one item different ways!

Great shirt dress; I like all the ways you styled it!

August 15, 2016 / 7:25 am

Hi Andrea,

These types of posts are so fun and they really help me figure out what to wear on days that I have no idea what to wear!
      Happy Monday and thank you so much for stopping by! A

2. August 15, 2016 / 7:16 am

Terrific looks! I love it with the denim jacket and straw tote bag. I’ll have to give Old Navy another look. Have a great day.

August 15, 2016 / 7:24 am

Thank you, Jen! I am very surprised with the quality of this dress – and just $33! I also ordered it in the purple floral style. It comes in petite too, I believe. Hope you are well! A

3. August 15, 2016 / 7:22 am

Obsessed with every way you styled your LBD. So versatile!

Liv

www.livforstyle.net

August 15, 2016 / 7:23 am

Thank you, Liv. So kind of you! Have a great Monday! A

August 15, 2016 / 7:36 am

All great looks, and I LOVE black in the summer. I think you’ll be having a few more months to wear this dress….

August 15, 2016 / 7:55 am

I love black in summer too. I thought about adding a tights and booties look to my post but it’s so hot here, I doubt I would have been able to even get tights on! Maybe I’ll do a similar post with this dress, specifically for cool weather in October. Hoping we will cool off by then! xo

5. August 15, 2016 / 7:54 am

Great job on all six! Isn’t it wonderful when you find an item with so much versatility?

August 15, 2016 / 7:56 am

It sure is wonderful! Makes me feel good about my purchase when I am able to get so much out of one item!

August 15, 2016 / 8:28 am

Thank you, Susan! I lazy dresser in me loves it when I find items that are so easy to style.

6. August 15, 2016 / 9:03 am

I am wearing a black bamboo dress too…sipping my cafe creme and here your blog posts pops up and you are looking smashing in yours. I love that black leather wrap belt on the dress with those strappy black sandals.

August 15, 2016 / 7:28 pm

Thank you, Leslie! I love bamboo fabric – it’s so soft and feels great against your skin. Hope you’re having a lovely August so far!

7. August 15, 2016 / 12:56 pm

🙂 I like all of your looks, Adrienne!
    The one with the Adora bag and the Versace scarf would work for the How I Wear My: Yellow next month 😉
    Have a very HAPPY week 🙂

August 15, 2016 / 7:36 pm

Ha! I actually thought about leaving that look off and saving it for HIWM Yellow but I like it too much to wait – it’s my favorite of the group.
      Hope you have a wonderful week! 🙂