Chilly Weather, New Hair Style, Thanksgiving and Other Things

Chilly Weather, New Hair Style, Thanksgiving and Other Things

Chilly Weather is Finally Here!

Colder temps and frost have arrived in Wine Country. Hurray! I have been waiting – not so patiently – to wear some of my new pieces from Stella Carakasi’s fall collection.

I have finally been able to wear my favorite new fall addition to my wardrobe, this beautiful Peruvian Alpaca wool coat. You may recall that I wore it on the runway at the Fall Style Event at Stella Carakasi last September.

It’s called Rumor Has It Coat and it is soft, warm, luxurious and can be worn a few different ways. My favorite way to wear it is to have the inner jacket zipped just below my collar bone while leaving the waterfall lapels open. You can also sweep the lapels over the front of the coat making for a draped look.

Stella Carakasi Rumor Has It Coat

Photo taken at The Residence at Comstock Wines

Or zip the inner jacket all the way up to the chin as I did here for a dramatic look that will keep your neck extra warm!

Stella Carakasi Rumor Has It Coat

I love the leather trim and the zipper sleeves!

Rumor Has It Coat

I hope to have many opportunities to wear this luxurious beauty!

New Hair Cut!

Last week I had a hair appointment for a color refresh and cut. I had grown tired of my dry, brittle ends and wanted more lift, body and movement. But I still wanted my hair long. What to do?

I discussed options with my hairdresser, Kimberly who is the owner of Dolce Vita Salon in Santa Rosa, about my desires and she suggested taking just a few inches off, shortening my existing layers and adding a few more.

Here is my “before” look, which was taken in early November.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And my “after” look.

shorter-hair

I love the new length. It’s s0 much easier to style and not so weighed down and flat looking as before. Plus, those dry ends needed to go! This is the shortest my hair has been in probably 10 years and I am thrilled with it!

Freelance Writing

I have been busy writing posts for Sonoma Magazine this week, in anticipation of Thanksgiving Day, which will be here in less than a week. Eek!

A talented group of local women put together an absolutely stunning Thanksgiving photo shoot. They were kind enough to share the photos and their expert tips with me so I could, in turn, share them with readers!

You can read the first Thanksgiving styling post, with suggestions from Sonoma County floral designer Jaclyn K. Nesbitt Design in the link

sonoma-mag-t-day-post

Another post, with tips from Brittany Bijan of Harlin & Sparrow and Sarah Davis of S. Davis Prints, will be about creating a beautiful table scape for your Thanksgiving guests. It also includes baking tips from Sonoma pastry chef and co-owner of Crisp Bake Shop, Andrea Koweek – so be sure to check back!

The breathtakingly beautiful photos you will see were taken by my friend and professional photographer Sarah Deragon.

Thanksgiving Plans

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, what are your plans? Ours are up in the air. We will be staying home but we’re not sure if we’ll be enjoying a purchased pre-made dinner for two or cooking for a crowd. I don’t know about you, but the idea of cooking a huge multi-course meal for two people sounds exhausting!

During the Thanksgiving holiday, I am looking forward to catching up on my writing, reading for pleasure (which I never seem to make time for anymore), spending time with family, putting up the holiday tree and decorating the house, and doing a bit of organizing and decluttering.

I hope to add more pieces to my “Items for Sale” page this weekend.  I also added some new pieces to my My Wine Country Closet page including this olive green trench from Gap. I absolutely love it! It’s lightweight and will be perfect for mild temps this fall and winter.

olive-trench

Make it a rich day!

Disclosure: The Rumor Has It Coat was given to me. All opinions expressed here are my own, as always.

1. November 18, 2016 / 12:43 pm

🙂 Hi Adrienne,
    your new hair style looks great! I need to do something with my hair as well…it’s gotten too long and way too heavy.
    And I’m in love with your new coat! I like the idea of an inner part and the top part looking more like a shawl. Really pretty!
    A very HAPPY weekend to you and greetings from cool, grey Vienna xo 🙂

November 18, 2016 / 3:26 pm

Hi Claudia,

My hair is very heavy too. I try so many things to give it lift but the only thing that really works is shortening it. Oh, and layers. Layers help a ton!
      Happy weekend to you as well! Have any snow in Vienna yet? xo

2. November 18, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Hi there Adrienne,

I love your new coat! I would certainly entertain getting one myself if our weather was colder here.
    Your new hair style looks great! My biggest challenge of long hair is knowing when to shorten it up a little.
    Have a great weekend! Enjoy!

Rosemary

November 18, 2016 / 3:25 pm

It seems like the last few winters have been so much warmer than they used to be. It’s an exciting day when I can wear heavy sweaters and coats!
      I agree. I forget hair my grows and before I know it, it’s down to my bra line! I think the length I have now is great – I want to keep from going back to my super long hair ways!
      Have a wonderful weekend, Rosemary!

3. November 18, 2016 / 3:16 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous, Adrienne!

We’re hosting a few close family for Thanksgiving, and are doing a mix of pre-made dishes, cooking and pot luck. Keeping it low-key!!

November 18, 2016 / 3:22 pm

Low key is always a good thing! My father-in-law is ill, has been for some time, so we aren’t sure he will up for visiting us on turkey day. And, unfortunately, Bill will be on call that day so we can’t go to him.
      Enjoy the day and the weekend ahead!

November 18, 2016 / 6:12 pm

Your hair looks great, I love that Peruvian coat and am very tempted. We’re going away with our kids and grandkids for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, so for the first time in over 30 years, I won’t be cooking! I’m very excited (although I do look forward to the cooking part sometimes) that I’ll be able to just be with my family and not have all the stress of cooking and cleanup.

November 19, 2016 / 7:44 am

Hi Kathy,

It’s a gorgeous coat…so well made and I like how I can throw it on with jeans and look put together.
      Enjoy your Thanksgiving getaway with the family. Sounds like a great idea!

5. November 19, 2016 / 7:40 am

Your hair looks fabulous!

And I love your coat – it’s so pretty & unique!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, whatever you’ll end up doing! We are going to friends of ours, and I’ll bring several side dishes and appetizers, which I love making, and I’m really looking forward to it.

November 19, 2016 / 7:41 am

Hi Andrea,

The way it stands now, we are hosting Thanksgiving at our house, which should be interesting since we recently sold our formal dining room set (too big for the room). There are always folding chairs, right!
      Enjoy this rainy Bay Area weekend! A

6. Linda Salazar
    November 19, 2016 / 11:03 am

Love your new hair length and cut Adrienne! I have been wearing my hair a little shorter as well these days, I prefer it right at my collarbone.

I’m not sure what we are doing this week for Thanksgiving…it will just be Tony and I on Thanksgiving day since Nick and Amanda both work. I did buy a small turkey in case we have them over on the weekend. Right now with my feet still not 100% I can’t imagine making the whole dinner. I may cave and order a Squash Pie from True Food Restaurant…I made it myself the last 2 years and I love it so much I don’t want to do without.

I finally consulted a Sports Massage expert last week who works with runners that have PF. He said he can fix me so I’m hopeful. (although I HURT a lot the next day) No pain no gain I guess.

Hope you and Bill have a great Thanksgiving!

7. November 19, 2016 / 8:21 pm

your hair looks amazing. I am getting ready to try something, but even a small amount I hate losing. But your inspiration is powerful, looks so lovely

November 20, 2016 / 9:20 pm

I feel the same way – I am usually so cautious about protecting my length. But it was just so flat and so dry on the ends. I knew it was time to part with a few inches!

8. November 21, 2016 / 5:37 am

Your hair is (and has always been) gorgeous! We’re doing Thanksgiving at a pub with a few close friends, simple and grateful. Thanks for sharing, xox

-Patti