Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am excited to say we are hosting Thanksgiving this year. Some members of Bill’s side of the family will be coming to dinner, including my father-in-law. There will be 11 of us sitting down to ham and turkey later today. For someone who doesn’t cook for a crowd very often, this is a daunting number for me!

Thankfully we saved lots of time – and stress – by splitting up the menu. Bill and I are in charge of the ham, several sides, dessert and wine. And my brother-in-law will be bringing a roasted turkey and all the other sides.

Baking is not really my thing so I bought two pies from Crisp Bake Shop in Sonoma, and apple lattice pie and a pumpkin, maple, bourbon pie. Tori and I picked up the pies up yesterday and also brought home some Pumpkin Spice and Salted Caramel Chocolate macarons, which we tested out last night.

macarons

Wow, are they delicious! The Pumpkin Spice is my favorite and the best macaron I have ever tasted – and I’ve even eaten macarons in Paris! I might have to have just one more Pumpkin Spice before our guests arrive 😉

Tori and I stopped by Oak Hill Farm’s Red Barn in Glen Ellen on our way home. This darling farm opens their barn up on Saturdays from May to January and they also sell their produce, flowers and wreaths at the Sonoma Farmers Market on Friday mornings.

oak-hill-farm

Tori and I bought gourds, dried corn cobs and flowers, as well as some veggies. Such a darling farm! If you live in the area or are visiting, be sure to stop by for a visit on Saturdays and around the holidays.  Visit their website for details.

Tori used our purchases to decorate our Thanksgiving table. Didn’t she do a lovely job?

thanksgivingtable

If you’re celebrating Thanksgiving and hosting or bringing a dish to someone’s gathering, did you bake? Roast a turkey? Do all the cooking yourself? Or did you decide to dine out this year?

Before I sign off, please know how very thankful I am for you. I appreciate your readership, your comments – both here and on social media –  and allowing me share a bit of my life with you these last 6 years.

Make it a rich day full of thanks!

1. November 24, 2016 / 10:13 am

Happy Thanksgiving Adrienne! I love Oak Hill Farm and those macaroons look scrumptious. I’m heading to Suite D with friends and family – fun to let someone else do the cooking (and frankly, none of us are really that great of cooks!). Enjoy!

November 24, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving! Hope to see you again soon!
      A

November 26, 2016 / 7:24 pm

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. This year was the first I didn’t host (and cook everything for) in about 30 years. Our family went out of town together and it’s been just so great. I did bake a gluten free pumpkin pie though, because my husband is GF, and of course wanted dessert. I love pumpkin anything..

3. Lynn
    December 2, 2016 / 4:36 pm

This year I didn’t host as we were invited to Kenwood for Thanksgiving. It was a lot of fun to meet people we didn’t know, and the highlights were two walks we took while we waited for the turkey to cook and the next day taking a break from clean up. We found plenty of porcinis too, but unfortunately they were not accessible. Luckily we had foraged some earlier to have them in the stuffing.
    It is a beautiful valley and the golden vines made it an extra special fall visit. You are lucky to live somewhere so quiet, peaceful and full of nature.

December 3, 2016 / 1:48 pm

Hi Lynn,

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving! I love taking walks around here. There is so much beauty!
      I am so very fortunate to live here. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. I wonder if I know your hosts? It’s such a small town, perhaps we do know one another? Thank you for stopping by! Adrienne

• Lynn
        December 4, 2016 / 7:44 am

The house was on Warm Springs Road opposite the old depot, but was rented for Thanksgiving, so we only saw the husband as we left.
        Then we went to Shed in Healdsburgh for coffee and then to Ridge winery to buy wine to be shipped to San Diego.
        One of the highlights was a behind the scenes look at the new restaurant in Healdsburgh which was prepping for opening- think it was called Single Thread. The roof area gave lovely views over the valley and the five hotel rooms are luxurious.
        I hope you get to try it and blog about it. As you can see, it was an alternative Black Friday