One Trend, Two Generations: Denim Jackets

My stepdaughter Tori and I are back with another One Trend, Two Generations post!

If you’ve been reading my blog for some time you may already be familiar with these posts I started doing with Tori four years ago. We show how two generations –  a Gen Xer pushing 50 and a Millennial who is now 22  – style a fashion trend. We’ve styled lots of trends over the years including stripes, ponchos, plaid, off-the-shoulder tops, boho necklaces and more!

This time we are showing how we style our denim jackets, that wardrobe staple perfect for layering, especially as we transition into spring.

denim jacket

We wore our denim jackets out to lunch in Occidental with Tori’s dad on Saturday. Tori wore her denim jacket – a Ralph Lauren jacket I bought years ago at a thrift shop – with her black gauze sundress with spaghetti straps that she bought last year.

A little bored with our winter clothes, we are both starting to choose items from our spring/summer wardrobes. On most days, though, the weather requires layers as there’s still quite a chill in the air.

denim jacket

Rather than sandals, Tori wore tall black boots with black knee socks.

denim jacket

She accessorized with a double wrap leather cord necklace and lots of silver rings.

For my denim jacket look, I wore a print maxi dress I bought on Amazon. I love this dress so much! I know it’s going to my summer go-to. At the moment, it’s too cold outside to wear it on its own.

denim jacket

So I added my trusty Banana Republic denim jacket that I have had for at least a decade. I wore my wool hat and lace-up rain boots by La Canadienne as it rained on and off Saturday.

denim jacket

Have you noticed the enamel pin and brooch trend? A friend of mine wears fun pins on her denim jacket so I thought I would give it a try. I bought an avocado pin on Etsy – I love avocados! – and some fun heart sunglasses. Then I added my vintage rhinestone lips pin I wore for How I Wear My: Brooch and a fleur de lis pin, a gift from a friend who lives in Paris.

I would like to get a few more pins, then see about trying a different arrangement. I have never excelled at pin placement!

denim jacket

Tori and I both love our denim jackets. They are wardrobe staples for any and every generation!

Here is a selection of denim jackets available now, ranging in price from $31 to $198. One nice thing about denim jackets – you don’t have to spend a lot to get one you love. Once you find one you love, you usually hold on to and wear it for many years.

1. April 10, 2017 / 11:08 am

I was so excited to see this post. It is my favorite theme you do. You both look beautiful and I love your outfits, so trendy, modern and fabulous! I have to say, I love denim jackets and have almost what you would call a collection. I am so glad that they really never go out of style but are really popular right now. Peace!

April 10, 2017 / 2:23 pm

I like to do these posts too. I hope to fit in a few more before Tori is done with college and moves away. Thankfully she enjoys doing them with me so that makes it fun.
      I just ordered another denim jacket today – one of the Gap jackets featured in the shopping section. I want one that’s oversized and a little longer on the waist.
      Thanks for stopping by! A

2. April 10, 2017 / 11:35 am

I love this theme too Adrienne!! Of course, I’m probably biased since this is kind my theme on my blog–ha ha!!
    But it’s true that many items aren’t age specific!! And this is the perfect example!! And you must be reading my mind, because I added this category to our queue just last week!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

April 10, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Yes, you do have this theme on your blog. Tori and I only do it once in awhile – she is so busy with school and next year she will be out of college and probably moving to another state.
      Denim jackets are always in style, it seems. Sort of like jeans! In our climate, they are good to have in both your fall/winter wardrobe as well as your spring/summer! Looking forward to seeing how you style denim jackets on your blog!
      A

3. Kathy Leeds
    April 11, 2017 / 5:52 am

I can’t imagine what I’d do without a denim jacket – I think I have four, in various washes, sizes and length. I love them over dresses, and even wear mine with jeans during transitional weather, which it is a lot in So. Cal. You both look great and look forward to more of these posts before Tori is off for college.

April 12, 2017 / 8:20 am

I love the denim on denim look too. I ordered a new jacket in an oversized style so I have more to work with. They sure are a California staple!

4. April 11, 2017 / 4:53 pm

I love these posts. My daughter is 33 and I 62 so I can appreciate them even though you two are much younger! What a pretty step daughter you have. I love the knee highs with the boots. And you always look fabulous. I love my gap denim jacket that has been around the block as well. Great post!!

April 12, 2017 / 8:19 am

It’s so fun to play dress up with Tori. I am going to be sad when she moves away for many reasons but not doing One Trend, Two Generations is certainly one.
      I just ordered a new Gap denim jacket earlier this week. They always have a great selection.

5. katherine
    April 12, 2017 / 6:33 am

I used to have terrible pin placement too – mostly because I was always trying to put a pin on while wearing the jacket. But if I put the pin on before putting the jacket on it didn’t always work either – particularly because I usually carry either a shoulder bag or a cross body purse and the pin is always being knocked off by one of those. But then I had a brainstorm or sorts – I put my jacket on and chalk the spot where I want the pin to go (while holding or wearing my bag) and then take it off, pin my pin and I’m good to go! There are also some jackets where I just don’t take the pins off.

You both look great! I love Tori’s black knee socks high boots thing – !

April 12, 2017 / 8:12 am

That is a fantastic idea! I wasted way too much time pinning and repinning. I will keep the pins on once I get them into place. I think I also need a few more pins in sizes between the lips and the avocado to balance things out. I will keep fiddling with it until I get it right…. and employ your brilliant tip. Thank you so much, Katherine!