How I Wear My: Ladylike Elegance

How I Wear My: Ladylike Elegance

Welcome to May’s How I Wear My, the 70th post in this long running fashion series!

May is a month when it seems no matter where you look there are flowers in bloom and beautiful signs of spring at every turn so Jill of Everything Just So and I wanted to focus this month’s “How I Wear My” on Ladylike Elegance, a sartorial style that suits May so well!

Let’s start things off with my stylish How I Wear My partner, Jill!

Jill of Everything Just So

“I love a ladylike look that features trousers, and I have really been into black and white lately, so I paired a Zara blazer with a J. Crew palm print sweater from last summer and Gap pants. I added my Hermès Jigé for a pop of vivid red.”

Ladylike

Jess of Elegantly Dressed and Stylish

“If you know Elegantly Dressed and Stylish blog and my style you probably know I do enjoy feminine looks. I am a fan of florals and this embroidery trend. The sheer delicate vine and flower pattern reminds me of D & G and the simple strappy sandal lends to this ladylike look.”

Anita of Anita by Design

“Ladylike is my style!  No matter what I wear, the aim is to present myself as a lady of class and elegance.  I call this my Audrey Hepburn dress.  Can you say Breakfast at Tiffany’s?  I absolutely love 1950’s & 1960’s fashion.  I also love to sew, and making dresses from these eras are so much fun.  The ladies demonstrated such elegance in their attire in those days.  My DIY Little Black Dress is the perfect ladylike garment, adorned with pearl accessories, elbow-length gloves, simple black pumps, and don’t forget the hat.  This is how I wear my ladylike!”

Cheryl of Northwest Mountain Living & Style

“This top seems so sweetly old fashioned and ladylike due to the pastel color and the lace insets. I wore it with white jeans and carried a tan bag but the most fun part of the outfit were my pink slides with the bows.”

Colette of Styled Comfort

“To me, Audrey Hepburn has always defined ladylike elegance. Her style showed how simple, classic design can be so sophisticated and elegant. To achieve this look, I wear some of my all-time favorite wardrobe basics, a cropped black trouser and crisp white shirt paired with strands of pearls for an added touch of elegance.”

Dawn Lucy of Fashion Should Be Fun

“Nothing says feminine to me like pink and red and roses!”

Charlotte of Jodie’s Touch of Style

“We were gifted this tunic from VIPme.com, but it was a little small for my mom to wear as a dress by itself. But considering she’s a whiz at making pieces versatile, she’s been wearing it as a duster instead. Considering that black is awfully severe for her complexion, wearing it over her black dress has been a great way to change it up! Of course, she’s worn it over brown and beige too!!!”

Malia of Style by Malia

“Wearing white is a very ladylike feeling for me. I saw these lemon shorts and knew I had to have them.  The shorts and top are from Lane Bryant the yellow shoes are from Sole Society.”

Nikki of Midlife Chic

“I chose a jumpsuit when I was a finalist in the UK Blog Awards recently. I deliberately didn’t opt for a dress because with my very classic hairstyle, I was at risk of looking frumpy. A jumpsuit with on trend block heels and statement earrings was the simple solution.”

Shelbee of Shelbee on the Edge

“I fell in love with this dress the minute I spied it at Rosegal.  The rich cobalt color is one of my favorites and the swan print had me swooning.  I wanted it to be a bit poofier, so I added a blush tulle skirt underneath which created the elegant feel that I was looking for.”

Valerie of Maple Leopard

“A mid-length leather skirt and a cold shoulder sweater, are the perfect pieces to transition from colder weather to spring or summer, depending where you live. I live in the cool and breezy Northwest and we are still having cool days. Leopard is the new neutral. These leopard pumps pair well with so many different looks.”

Suzanne of Suzanne Carillo

“I’m wearing one of my favourite ultra feminine and dramatic floral dresses. I took it with me to Cuba this past winter. I always feel like a star when I wear this.”

Nicole of High Latitude Style

“Even though this outfit is leather, it has a lady-like vibe to it. The scarf tied as a bow, shoes and the pillbox hat do the trick.”

Ladylike Outfit

Greetje of No Fear of Fashion

“The dress was a surprise to me. I had seen it in advertisements but I was convinced it would look hideous on me, showing every lump and bump. I tried and it was fine!! Love it. Every spring I feel it is a little party when I put it on.”

Lisa of The Sequinist

“There are few things more ladylike to me than a matching coat and dress.  I love the classic bracelet-length sleeve, the elegant bouclé fabric, and the traffic stopping colour. I always feel like a lady wearing this!”

Elizabeth (a.k.a La Contessa) of The Vintage Contessa

“MY ladylike outfit consists of OLD vintage CURTAINS…….made into a coat/robe with a huge pockets to collect The Hens eggs. SPRING has SPRUNG and I am one HAPPY LADY!”

Linda of A Labour of Life

“Blush just screams ladylike elegance.  Pairing a short skirt with a long blazer gives a more conservative look especially when paired with Blush Oxfords and pearls.”

Nancy of Nancy’s Fashion Style

“My black outfit is a very old dress, I love black but lately I love colors more.”

Laurie of Vanity and Me

“My jacket and trousers are special occasion wear that can be separated for more daytime looks.”

Terri of Meadow Tree Style

“I love mixing lace, silk, and pearls together for a feminine look, especially when we attend the Kansas City symphony. For this evening I chose a black lace skirt, a black silk crepe de chine and chiffon blouse which I designed and made, black lace pumps and a very long strand of grey pearls. To add a little color to the mix, I carried my plum colored Rebecca Minkoff Love Bag.”

Cynthia of 2 Chic Designs

“This is how I wear ladylike elegance!”

Kim of @KandidlyKim

“Put on a little black dress and add some colorful pearls, that’s my definition of ladylike fashion.”

Michele of @chele_clark

“I’m Michele Clark and a member of the Fierce 50! I’m wearing an Old Navy floral dress I got over the winter on clearance, thrifted pink sandals and bracelets from Kendra Scott.”

Ana of Mrs. American Made

“‘Ladylike Elegance’ is a description I always strive for, especially when getting all dressed up but also in a daily casual outfit or a conservative work outfit like this one. This look is just t-shirt and jeans, but the structured jacket and classic vintage bag elevate the look to a more ‘ladylike’ version of the ultimate American-made casual outfit. Now, my grandmother might have suggested that jeans are not proper for a lady, but anyone who has seen photos of Katherine Hepburn in her classy denim would agree that ladies wear jeans, too.”

Catherine of Not Dressed As Lamb

“Although spring takes a long time to work its magic in the UK, we did have one weekend of gloriously warm weather so I was able to dig out my white midi skirt and pair it with a Breton stripe t-shirt and heels. A midi skirt and heels combo is my favourite type of ‘ladylike’ look and I wear it in many forms: Most of my dresses have this skirt shape, it recreates everything I love about a classic 1950s look.”

My Look

The sun has started shining brightly here in Wine Country so I got a chance to wear my new floral off-the-shoulder dress from Banana Republic for the first time. I bought it back in February and it quickly sold out. It’s so feminine and ladylike! I love the pattern, the fit and the length, hitting me just below the knee.

Ladylike

The strapless bra I told you about last year is fine for blousy tops but it doesn’t have nearly enough support for a fitted bodice like this one. So I had to go bra scouting again. Happily, I hit pay dirt in the form of this strapless bra. Not only does it do what I want it to, it does it with minimal discomfort. I actually forget I’m wearing it, which is a feat!

I kept jewelry to a minimum and only wore my diamond studs and a dainty necklace. My opal, diamond and aquamarine pendant on a short white gold chain was a Christmas gift from my stepdaughter Kayla and her boyfriend. It’s such a lovely and beautiful gift, I will always treasure it and it’s my birthstone!

For footwear, I wanted a touch of edginess and a toned down color so I wore my “Valentino Rock Studs on a budget” by Sam Edelman that I bought about three years ago (similar). I also carried my bone colored handbag by Kate Spade. It’s the most ladylike handbag I own.

Ladylike

Thank you to all the stylish participants this month. Jill and I were knocked out by all these gorgeous looks!

I also want to thank The Fierce 50 Revolution. Several of you came to How I Wear My by way of this group and its movement. If you’re interested in finding out more and getting involved, check out #thefierce50 on Facebook and Instagram!

June’s How I Wear My theme!

With warmer temps on the way it’s time to get sporty! So break out your track pants and hoodie and join us for “How I Wear My: Athleisure.” If you have a fun way to style this casual trend based on athletic wear we want to see it!

How I Wear My Badge

Send photos to us at [email protected] by June 5, 2017 and be sure to include a description of your outfit, which we will use directly in our posts.

Be sure to head over to Jill’s to see nearly two dozen more stylish looks featuring Ladylike Elegance!

1. May 3, 2017 / 6:27 am

What fun! All great ladies and styles. I’ll join next month too.

May 3, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Thanks for joining us! Looking forward to seeing you again next month. A

2. Jill
    May 3, 2017 / 6:54 am

Everybody’s so darned good-looking this month. Wowza! This has to be one of my favorite HIWMs ever. You look so beautiful in your dress and I am crazy for that opal pendant. It is just gorgeous. xx

May 3, 2017 / 2:52 pm

I agree! What a month this was. I love your beautiful slacks look – so chic!
      Looking forward to Athleisure! xo

3. May 3, 2017 / 7:26 am

This category really strikes a chord with me, Adrienne!! Who doesn’t love looking elegant especially when society has gotten so casual?
    Like your dress—it’s the perfect warm weather dress!! Now I need to find a nude strapless bra–ha ha!
    Thanks for including my mom in this!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

May 3, 2017 / 2:55 pm

So true – I am guilty of the overly casual thing and when we chose this theme, I thought, “uh oh! What will I wear?” I have a closet filled with ladylike clothes – I just don’t wear them. This was the ideal excuse for getting ladylike.
      Thanks for having Charlotte join in. I hope to see you or Charlotte or any of your stylish crew (or all!) in next month’s Athleisure posts!
      A

4. May 3, 2017 / 7:40 am

so happy to be back, its been a crazy winter and I kept missing the deadline for submissions. ( always checked up on you though). Some very lovely looks here and I cannot wait for sporty

May 3, 2017 / 2:02 pm

Jill and I wondered where you’d been! So lovely to have you back. Thank you for your beautiful looks! See you next time for Athleisure!

5. May 3, 2017 / 7:47 am

Oh Wow How lady like we all look! Thank you so much for the feature. The foundations (underwear) are so important. Even more so for special occasion wear. This can make or break an outfit I think.
    Love the dress Adrienne and you’re sporting my wish list shoes! x
    www.vanityandmestyle.com

May 3, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Hello Laurie! Thank you so much for joining us this month. I love your looks, especially the silk blouse and long skirt.
      I agree – properly fitted undergarments are essential. You don’t know how essential until yours aren’t doing the job!
      Hope to see you again for How I Wear My!
      Kindly,

6. May 3, 2017 / 8:40 am

It seems like a lot of women love lady like style and they are showing it beautifully! Great post! Peace!

May 3, 2017 / 10:58 am

It does seem so! I love it but rarely wear ladylike looks…it was fun to get dressed up!
      Thank you for joining us, Cheryl! xo

7. May 3, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Thank you for the feature! What a fantastic outfits from all these wonderful Ladys!

May 3, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Thank you for joining us this month. I love your black and white dress on Jill’s blog and your strong power pose! It is awesome!
      A

8. May 3, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Featuring some stunning outfits, some blogs I know and also some new beauties – can’t wait to see more and contribute to your fab feature. Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

May 3, 2017 / 2:38 pm

We were so thrilled to see some new faces this month. I will be 50 this year and am proud to be part of The Fierce 50 Revolution. There are some really fantastic and stylish women who are part of that group.
      We would love to see you next time for Athleisure! Hope you can join us. A

9. May 3, 2017 / 2:34 pm

WHAT fun to see ALL the INTERPRETATIONS!

May 3, 2017 / 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for joining us! I hope all is well and you’re staying cool in this heat. I am not ready for these temps, are you?

• May 5, 2017 / 8:49 am

But WE do not get the HEAT like YOU DO…………I hear rain TOMORROW!!!!

10. May 3, 2017 / 4:36 pm

I adore The Vintage Contessa in that fabulous coat that she uses to collect chicken eggs!!!!

May 4, 2017 / 8:14 am

Hello Sandra! So lovely to hear from you!
      La Contessa can make even egg-gathering glamorous. Love her!

11. Clare Moore
    May 4, 2017 / 7:45 am

What a fun “how I wear my”!! Inspiring!!

May 4, 2017 / 8:13 am

So great to hear from you! You know next month’s theme is “Athleisure” and I am pretty sure you have some cute yoga and running outfits. I hope you’ll join us! xo

12. May 4, 2017 / 1:48 pm

This was so much fun being featured on how I wear my lady like elegance. Thank you for sharing my photo on your link. All of the ladies look spectacular! I am a proud part of Fierce 50 Revolution!

May 5, 2017 / 7:32 am

Cynthia,

Thank you for joining us! I was so excited to see you sent in photos of your beautiful dress. I hope to see you next time and will for sure be catching you over at The Fierce 50!

13. May 5, 2017 / 3:21 am

Adrienne thank you for this wonderful feature (as always)!! This was such a great theme, you were always going to get such beautiful looks from everyone. You dress is a stunner (love that floral pattern), and the shoes are sooooo elegant. You should do this theme every month, hehe…!

Thank you for featuring mine, so honoured to be among these lovely ladies 🙂

Catherine x

May 5, 2017 / 7:22 am

Thank you so much for joining us and a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you for your big win at the UK Blog Awards. I was hoping you would submit a photo of your gorgeous red dress!
      I am sure we will a Ladylike repeat…it’s been one of the very best!
      xo, A

14. May 5, 2017 / 8:12 am

Great post and very inspiring! Your dress is fabulous! You look so beautiful.

May 5, 2017 / 8:16 am

Thank you, Anita! I love your ladylike look so much. It looks straight out of a fashion magazine or even a shot for a movie promotion! I hope you will join us again. We loved having you! A

15. May 5, 2017 / 11:12 am

What a fun round up and I love Anita’s ladylike look! Can’t wait to see everyone in their athleisure wear next month!

OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

16. May 7, 2017 / 1:58 am

Oh my goodness… we all do ladylike so well. I was in awe with nearly all outfits. And I think I want Dawn Lucy’s dress.
    You look peach perfect too. Very wise to keep the accessories neutral.
    Terrific “How I wear my” subject.
    Greetje

17. KSL
    May 8, 2017 / 6:01 am

Everyone did a wonderful job of looking lady like but not matronly, which is hard at a certain age. Fun post!

18. May 8, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Hi Adrienne, it was lovely to be part of such a glamorous parade. I think older women do elegance so well don’t you? Great theme. X

May 11, 2017 / 1:17 pm

I do too and I really adore your pantsuit outfit for the UK Blog Awards. So chic! Hope to see you for Athleisure in June! A