Olive Who? Olive You!

Olive Who? Olive You!

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Olive.
Olive who?
Olive you!

I used to crack up whenever I heard or told that knock-knock joke when I was a little kid. Did you? Now I think it’s just plain cute.

I’ve also loved the color olive green since childhood and remember when I decided it was one of “my” colors. Eons ago, when I was in sixth grade, I had saved up $33 from babysitting and mowing our lawn. I was quite proud of myself, especially since I loathed mowing the lawn and didn’t enjoy babysitting much either.

I wanted to spend my hard earned money carefully. As a dedicated lover of fashion, even at 11-years-old, I decided to spend it on clothes.

My mom took me shopping at our favorite clothing store in Las Vegas. I spent all my earnings on one item: an olive green gauze blouse with dolman sleeves and buttons up the front.

Gauze was all the rage in 1978 and I was thrilled to have such a fashionable top to wear to school. I received so many compliments about how flattering the color was to my complexion and hair color, that I decided I’d always welcome this beautiful shade of green into my closet. I even wore it on picture day with a matching faux flower in my hair.

Thankfully, it’s a color that never goes out of style. It’s also versatile and works with navy blue, brown, red, ivory and white, black and even bright colors like cobalt blue and hot pink.

Stella Carakasi sent me this gorgeous coat from their Early Fall 2017 Collection.

It’s called the Smart Choice Coat, a perfect name for this stylish yet practical coat. I love the deep olive green shade and the lightweight fabric, which is Stella Carakasi’s exclusive metal, cotton and and nylon blend. The coat is meant to have a wrinkled look so it’s ideal for travel.

It has two side pockets, zips up the front with a snap at the top and bottom and it’s lined. I wore my jacket with an ivory pintuck blouse, and skinny jeans.

For accessories, I went with a cognac leather and fresh water pearl necklace from Elizabeth Wilmore Designs, cognac ankle tie sandals and dark brown sunglasses.

I wore this outfit earlier this week when my husband, who worked three 24-hour days in a row over the weekend, surprised me by taking half a day off work so we could spend some time together.

We decided to go to one of our favorite places, Brix. They have deliciously fresh food in a breathtaking setting. I love their robust culinary garden and the views of the Mayacamas Mountain Range are stunning.

I’ve already worn this lightweight coat a few times and can tell you with certainty that it’s coming with me to France next month. I have more than a few outfits in mind for my trip that include this pretty and practical coat.

Can you say you “olive” olive green too? (Apologies in advance for my corniness 😆)

Disclosure: The Smart Choice Coat was given to me in exchange for my review. All opinions expressed here are my own, as always.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Clare
    September 21, 2017 / 8:46 am

Olive and orange are my colors!! You look lovely as always!!

September 21, 2017 / 8:57 am

Hi Clare! I think we have similar skin tone and hair colors – I can totally see you in olive green!
      I never wear orange though. Maybe I need to give that a try.
      Hope you are doing great – thanks for stopping by! xo, A

2. September 21, 2017 / 9:45 am

That’s a really wonderful coat…good looking and very versatile!

September 21, 2017 / 10:24 am

I think so too. I love the entire metal fabric line at Stella Carakasi – so great for travel and very easy to style. I have a white coat very similar to this one from last year and I wore it this summer on cooler days. What I also love, aside from the style, is that the material is machine washable. I have washed my white one several times and it still looks brand new.

3. KSL
    September 22, 2017 / 5:56 am

As you know, I love olive green and have also worn it for years. I have many lightweight olive green coats and jackets, and I did buy an orange bag..as Clare mentioned) to wear when I wear denim and olive together (which is often!) Cognac (like you’re wearing is also great with it, and it works well with black too. I guess I really consider it a neutral by now.

4. Cindy Coulon Acord
    September 22, 2017 / 6:10 am

Hi Adrienne. That is a super cute story – thanks for sharing! You’re adorable as always.Thanks for bringing your life into ours.

September 22, 2017 / 10:04 am

Thank you, Cindy! I love when you stop by to say hello. Hope all is well with you and your family! Thank you for the kind words. xo

5. Jacquie
    September 22, 2017 / 12:06 pm

I love your look in this post. I bought the same Gap blouse in white as well as the plum. It’s such a versatile piece. I recently wore mine with my olive green utility jacket, similar to yours, with black jeans and felt put together for an afternoon wine tasting in Napa. We love Brix too, especially their gardens.
    I was hoping to find some suggestions for what to wear to an early Fall harvest dinner in the vineyard and what I found was your post from last November when you wore the Stella Carakasi cape. Beautiful! I have a similar ruana that I got in Chile. So thank you for the help!

September 23, 2017 / 2:19 pm

Hi Jacquie,

Don’t you love the Gap pintuck blouses? I am so happy they brought them back again this year. I bought three last year too and wore the ivory one so much, I wore it out and had to toss it.
      Brix is such a gorgeous place with great food. I think it might be the most underrated Napa Valley restaurant.
      I love that Stella cape – the off white one with the gray trim, right? It is so versatile and cozy too. I am looking forward to wearing it again when the weather gets cold enough.
      Enjoy your harvest dinner and thanks for stopping by!

6. September 22, 2017 / 12:29 pm

I have bought several olive and orange pieces for fall this year. I love the versatility of olive and how wearing orange makes me feel. Really like the Stella jacket.

September 23, 2017 / 2:17 pm

I think I must be missing the boat on orange! I have no orange in my closet…except here and there as part of a pattern. Olive and orange look great together, now that I think about it.
      Thank you for stopping by, Libby! I hope you’re doing well.