How I Wear My: Blazer

How I Wear My: Blazer

Welcome to December’s How I Wear My!

For December, Jill and I chose a fall and spring wardrobe classic: the blazer. From double-breasted to single button, navy blue wool to orange velvet paisley, we’ve got a wide array of blazer looks in this month’s How I Wear My.

Let’s get things started with my How I Wear My partner, Jill!

JILL OF EVERYTHING JUST SO

“I own only three blazers since I find them a little too confining and tend to prefer knits for day-to-day wear. This L’Wren Scott for Banana Republic is one of my favorites and always gets a lot of wear in December since it seems perfect for anything to do with the holidays. It looks great with black pants but also pairs well with jeans!”

YVONNE OF FUNKY FORTY

“I love wearing blazers with a statement shirt underneath so I can flash off the sleeves. It’s my favourite look as not many people in Zurich do the same. I feel flattered though as the jacket is a lovely Australian brand Motto and they reposted a picture of mine. I saw several others  styling the jacket the same way! That has to be a huge compliment if you ask me! Happy December to everyone!”

RENA OF IT’S ALL FINE. WHATEVER TICKLES THE FANCY.

“My seersucker blazer in this Friday casual look was a thrift store find that has been on repeat since it joined my wardrobe this past spring.”

BETH OF TALL FASHION ADVENTURES

“I have a total love affair with blazers and this navy blue blazer from UK-based brand North Clothing Co. has been my go-to lately. Thanks to the thickness of the fabric, it is perfect for days when I don’t want to wear a jacket but still need some coverage. On our recent Thanksgiving trip to Portugal, I paired it with a striped shirt, ethically made cashmere scarf from Pink Maharani and skinny jeans.”

PAM OF OVER 50 FEELING 40

“My favorite jackets are boyfriend jackets.  I like this double-breasted black wool I found at a thrift shop several years back”.

ANNETTE OF LADY OF STYLE

“I styled my burgundy velvet blazer in three ways: 1) palazzo trousers 2) cropped jeans 3) shift dress.” (see the other two looks on Jill’s blog!)

GREETJE OF NO FEAR OF FASHION

“This Piazza Sempione trouser suit is very good quality and craftmanship. I am still finding out how to style it. With this striped top it is a bit stern looking. With a silk scarf it is more feminine. And I think I will have the jacket tailored a bit at the shoulders and waist. It is a teeny bit too large.”

JODIE OF JODIE’S TOUCH OF STYLE

“I’m wearing a green dress with a yellow vest over a black jacket. I bought this green velvet dress recently, but it’s sleeveless, and it’s cold outside. So I had to add layers. Since we were going to a fashion show, I figured it was the perfect time to experiment with interesting layers like this.”

TERESA OF DENTON TAYLOR PHOTOGRAPHY

“I am wearing a blue leather blazer by Akris, a tribal necklace by Anothai, and a vintage Dooney and Burke bag.”

SHELBEE OF SHELBEE ON THE EDGE

“I have had this paisley corduroy blazer for years. It is from when Isaac Mizrahi collaborated with Target. I could never bring myself to get rid of it because the pattern and colors are just so fabulous. I don’t think it could ever be replaced. It is so bold, however, that it is generally best over a solid neutral like my favorite LBD.”

DARLENE OF STYLE FOR LESS VEGAS

“This vintage DKNY blazer  (that I scored for just $3.99) was what I chose to wear for my recent 56th birthday. I added the ‘fur’ collar to zhuzh it up.”

SUZANNE OF SUZANNE CARILLO

“I am wearing an orange velvet blazer and patterned pants. I find velvet very warm and cozy at this time of the year.”

NORA OF JACKET SOCIETY

“I am wearing our Watson Houndstooth Blazer with our Bronze Top with Neck Band and Gold Tone Clover Necklace with Charcoal Beads paired with my own Banana Republic pants, Steve Madden pumps and YSL bag. The blazer, top and necklace are available in our shop.”

NICOLE OF HIGH LATITUDE STYLE

“I like to wear my blazers with pants. This steal blue linen blazer is my favorite. I love the cut, the length and the unusual color (at least unusual for me). I like to roll the sleeves up on everything. I love to wear this blazer also with a gray or black skirt or chinos.”

ANA OF MRS. AMERICAN MADE

“Much of the time, I like to wear a black jacket, but a few years ago I bought this rich burgundy barn jacket from #madeinUSA Betabrand – and I love it! Here I am wearing it with simple black leggings, a warm turtleneck, a printed tunic, and a similar color hat that I knit myself. But I have created countless outfits with this jacket as it seems to be a perfect outer layer for so many looks.”

DAWN LUCY OF FASHION SHOULD BE FUN

“I’m wearing my fav LBB (Little Black Blazer) from Chico’s with the fun bell sleeves.  I added a pop of color with this pretty cashmere and silk scarf from Black.com.”

JACQUELINE OF PETITE SILVER VIXEN

“The beauty of a classic piece is that it can be dressed up or down and take you anywhere and a well tailored blazer is just that kind of garment.  Here I’m playing with textures. pairing my wool blazer, embroidered top and faux leather jeans for a casual yet contemporary look.”

NANCY OF NANCY’S FASHION STYLE

“The blue military one is my favorite, it’s such a versatile blazer.”

MY LOOK

Blazers have been a staple in my wardrobe on and off for decades. However, lately they have been mostly absent from my wardrobe as I favor less structured outer layers and jackets. I did manage to find one recently that suits my style.

This black ponte blazer has a classic cut but with a good dose of stretch so I can push up the sleeves with no problem. I styled it with a white v-neck tee, black jeans, layered necklaces and my favorite new ABEO booties from The Walking Company.

I also carried my new Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM, a surprise 50th birthday present from my sweet husband.

Thank you to all of this month’s stylish participants! Be sure to visit Jill’s blog to see even more fashionable blazer looks.

Jill and I have some news to share with you:

We have had many conversations over the last couple of months about the future of How I Wear My and we have decided, after six wonderful years of presenting style ideas from real women every month, that this How I Wear My will be our last.

Who knew that a simple blog post about a cardigan bought at Target in 2011 would turn into a long running fashion series? It was such a pleasure to work with Jill all these years. I always looked forward to our back and forth emails, deciding on themes, brainstorming ideas and often frantically divvying up and uploading photos until late in the night. We also shared pieces of our lives with each other, as friends do. I am looking forward to seeing where our bi-coastal friendship takes us now that How I Wear My will not be part of our lives 12 times a year.

The fact is How I Wear My would never have lasted as long as it did without you – your readership and participation. We are so grateful and thankful to all of you for sending in your stylish outfit photos over the years. We are a more than a bit melancholy closing this chapter but it’s time for us to move on to other things.

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart, for making How I Wear My such a wonderful experience for me, Jill and hopefully for you as well!

XO, Adrienne

SaveSaveSaveSave

1. December 6, 2017 / 8:40 am

All of the contributors look so chic and stylish with each showing a fabulous spin on how they’re wearing a blazer. I’ve looked forward to this monthly series for sometime now, both for inspirations from other bloggers and from the monthly prompts. While I’m saddened by your news, I so very appreciative of the time and effort you and Jill have devoted to HOW I WEAR MY. Thank you and I hope that you have a joyous holiday season.

Rena

December 6, 2017 / 9:00 am

Thank you for joining us this month, Rena. And thank you also for being such a great contributor to our series.
      Jill and I are sad to end HIWM but it’s time – 6 years is a long time and lately, it’s become more “work” than fashion fun for us so rather than have it limp along, we decided to end on a high note.
      I will be keeping all my HIWM posts and the HIWM page on the blog – there is too much fabulous fashion from all of you to not keep it visible and accessible.
      Thank you again for your participation and support over the years.
      Happy holidays to you as well! xo, Adrienne

2. December 6, 2017 / 10:39 am

Hi Adrienne, Another great HOW I WEAR MY series! I love how each and every participant showcases their unique styling of the Blazer? Lots of great ideas. A blazer has been on my shopping list this entire fall/winter season. Yes, I am sad that HIWM is coming to an end, you were there for me when I was first dipping my toes into the blogging world. And I have watched how HIWM has grown, all the while realizing the amount of time and work that both you and Jill have done. Thank you both for the HIWM experience. I looking forward to you new adventures and future posts!

Rosemary

December 7, 2017 / 12:07 pm

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you for being a frequent participant of HIWM. I always enjoyed getting your submissions.
      I am glad you found our little fashion series and that it allowed you to get experience as you began blogging.
      I will miss it – do already – but it’s time for a change or 10 😉
      Thank you for the comment – happy holidays! Adrienne

3. December 6, 2017 / 2:50 pm

Adrienne, this has been such a fun series and I am so honored to have had the opportunity to join so many amazing and stylish women over the 2 years that I have been blogging! I still remember my first submission was in September 2015 (How I Wear My Tassel) just one month after I launched my blog and I was so nervous about putting myself out there! Everyone was so kind, especially you, in welcoming me into the blogging community. And then I never looked back and have joined almost every month since then! So thank you for everything. For this super fun series that has introduced me to so many amazing people. For all of the hard work that you and Jill have put into it for 6 years! For inspiring me. And for offering a place where women can be their authentic selves! I wish you so much luck in wherever you decide to take your blog! I will definitely continue to check in!

Also, I am certain I have never shared this with you…but I first discovered Michal Golan jewelry through your blog and because of that I have become a huge fan of hers and have been able to cultivate a wonderful relationship with her personally as a result. I had the opportunity to visit her studio and buy some of her discontinued pieces to carry in my boutique. She is so amazing and kind and if not for you, I would have never even known who she was. So thank you for that as well!

Hugs to you,

Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

December 7, 2017 / 11:52 am

Hi Shelbee,

What a sweet comment – made me feel great!
      I am so glad you did put yourself out there – you have built a wonderful blog and I know you’re very involved in collaborating with other bloggers.
      I do love Michal Golan jewelry and am thrilled you were able to visit their studio! What fun!
      I hope we can stay in touch – that was one really wonderful thing about HIWM: getting to interact with fellow bloggers regularly.
      Hugs to you too!

4. jodie filogomo
    December 6, 2017 / 4:35 pm

I always love seeing the different perspectives on each theme, and you two have made this feature incredibly fun!!!
    But I can totally understand how much time and effort it takes, and I want to thank you so much for all of the time you’ve put into this!!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

December 7, 2017 / 11:45 am

Hi Jodie,

I want to thank you for your wonderful submissions over the years. Jill and I always enjoyed getting photos of you, Charlotte and Nancy.
      I am a bit sad that HIWM has ended but I know in my gut it’s the right thing for me and Jill.
      Onward and upward!
      xo, A

5. December 6, 2017 / 10:03 pm

Dear Adrienne, I can understand that this is a lot of work. And as soon a hobby starts feeling like work, you ought to quit it. SoI understand your decision. Of course I will miss it. It is the one link-up I try not to miss. Anyway, with this blazer series you go out with a bang. Lovely husband to give you this very useful and pretty present.
    Greetje

December 7, 2017 / 11:43 am

Hi Greetje,

HIWM was very time consuming and not in a creative way. It’s a lot of loading photos, cutting and pasting, etc. I loved the way the posts looked when they were published though. And it gave me joy to see all the great outfits and many people I like wearing them. So as a community, I will miss HIWM but I won’t miss the deadlines and hours of work.
      Thank you for sending your wide legged pants look. I love wide legged pants and need to find some that are long enough for me.
      I love my new Neverfull tote – it fits just about anything and everything!

• December 8, 2017 / 5:35 am

I have looked at that Neverfull tote as well but it was too pricey for my taste haha. My suit is now with the seamstress who is going to see whether shortening the legs with just a bit more than half an inch, will do the trick. I will fit it first. Also the jacket will be taken in (back, shoulders and the width of the arms). All to do with the fact I had to buy a size bigger to fit the bosom. Darned. These Piazza Sempione trousers were soooo long. I had to take them up quite a bit and even then a huge hem is left on them. Maybe you want to buy them?

December 8, 2017 / 7:21 am

yes, they are expensive, the Neverfulls. My husband knows I love Louis Vuitton so when he’s not sure what to get me for a birthday or something, he defaults to LV. Which is fine with me! 🙂 I love this bag because it’s great for everyday use and for travel.
          I am pretty sure you are much slimmer than I and they pants wouldn’t fit me in the waist. I have gained quite a bit of weight since going into menopause. Thank you for offering though!

• December 10, 2017 / 8:13 am

No, I meant, buy them online. In the size you want. You know I had the extra 7 cm I gained at my waist sucked away? I couldn’t cope with it. And it was certainly not going to disappear by dieting.

6. Susan Devere
    December 7, 2017 / 1:20 am

So sorry this is the last HIWM. It is something I always look forward to every month. However, I do appreciate the time it takes you to prepare and if it becomes too onerous it is certainly no longer a pleasure. So thank you for all the hard work you have put in and the pleasure you have given to us all. Just carry on blogging.
    SusanD

December 7, 2017 / 11:40 am

Hi Susan,

I will miss it as well. It was something I looked forward to all month long, until I didn’t. Six years – and I think we never once skipped a post until just recently when the fires happened – is a long time and it was important to both me and Jill that when it did end, it ended on a high note, not a slow “circling the drain” way.
      I am not giving up the blog – just doing it differently from now on.
      Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it. Kindly, Adrienne

7. December 8, 2017 / 10:28 am

Such great contributions as always and what a great run for HIWM! I can imagine it was so much work for you and Jill to put together every month and I certainly understand you feeling like it’s time to retire it. Happy I was able to be a part of the very last one!

Beth

December 8, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I am so glad you were too, Beth! Love your classic blazer look.
      Happy holidays! Adrienne