Seven for Saturday

Seven for Saturday

Happy weekend and welcome to this week’s Seven for Saturday!

Here are a handful of things on my radar lately:

1 ~ An Engrossing Read

Looking for a suspenseful page-turner to read? Look no further than this novel. A friend told me about it a couple of months ago and I finally got around to reading it earlier this week. I sailed through it in three days, it was so riveting. I couldn’t help myself!

Have you read The Woman in the Window? If so, did you love it too?

2 ~ House Plants I Can’t Kill

I love succulents and have several pots filled with these darling and low-maintenance plants, but I find they only thrive when kept outside. When I bring them indoors they start looking very unhappy and sick so I have given up on decorating our interior with succulents.

I don’t really like faux plants in general. To me they always look so obviously fake. But I thought I would try succulents because I noticed some faux versions at my hair salon and I could have sworn they were real.

I ordered these a couple of weeks ago and have been placed a couple in small pots in our newly decorated guest room. I also got a set of tiny pots to use around the house in various places. They are just so darling! I used the pink one in our almost completed guest room (see #4 below) to add some color. And I also added my orange Glassy Baby vase that I bought in Seattle a couple of years ago.

3 ~ Super Blue Blood Moon

I am sure you already know all about the recent Super Blue Blood Moon. Having missed the solar eclipse last summer due to cloud cover, I was thrilled about seeing the lunar eclipse.

The night before the special moon, I went out at dusk and caught it creeping over the hills here in Kenwood. I managed to capture the silhouette of some burned trees.

What a cool experience to see the moon rise and even more exciting the next morning to see the red moon, hanging in the sky surrounded by stars.

Bill was nice enough to get up with me at 4:30 so we could go out and find a good place to shoot. We took turns with my Olympus mirrorless camera. Nighttime photography is so difficult! I had a hard time keeping the camera still as the shutter speed is very slow and stillness is crucial. Bill has a much steadier hand and he used his vehicle’s hood to aid in balancing. We are not 100% sure who took which photo but I am pretty certain this one, which made the morning ABC 7 news in the San Francisco Bay Area, is his.

I am so glad Bill and I share a love for photography. We discovered photography together, about 12 years ago, when we bought our first camera at Costco while on an RV trip to Wyoming and Montana. Our interest has remained and I love seeing both of us improve. Now if I could just do something about my shaky hands!

4 ~ Adding Color to the Guest Room

Our guest room re-do has been coming along nicely but it’s not ready for a full reveal quite yet. The original idea was to keep the color scheme neutral but that was looking a little dull so Bill had the idea to hang a favorite painting of ours, a work by our friend and artist Kathy Leeds called “Flamenco Inferno” on the largest wall. It was a brilliant idea and has added not only color to the room but sophistication and personality too. I love this room so much now, I want to move into it!

5 ~ Dried Cauliflower Rice

I saw packaged dried cauliflower rice advertised online and since I haven’t been using my dehydrator lately, I decided to dehydrate a bag of fresh cauli-rice I had on hand.

Boy, does it really shrink up! I want to try making cauliflower pizzas with the dry cauliflower. One issue with cauliflower pizza crust is it’s often too moist. I’m going to make pizzas soon and will let you know how the dry cauliflower works out.

Also, I can rehydrate the rice and add it to soups, make fried rice or risotto. It will come in handy when I don’t have any cauliflower or when it’s out of season.

6 ~ Sugarloaf Ridge State Park Re-Opened

Sugarloaf Ridge State Park near our home was affected by the fires last October and has remained closed until yesterday. I am so excited to return to this scenic park today for a hike. I admit to being a little anxious about what it will look like now but I also know it’ll still be gorgeous and the regrowth of trees and plants has already begun.

These are photos from last spring. Isn’t it beautiful? I’ll be posting photos from our hike on Instagram today if you’d like to see what it looks like now.

7 ~ Instant Pot Class

I have still been using my Instant Pot a few times a week but haven’t used it for anything new lately. Every week I cook chicken breasts then shred them for various purposes and a batch of Greek yogurt, and sometimes I cook sturdy veggies like spaghetti squash and artichokes.

I know lots of people who have Instant Pots but don’t know how to use them or, like me, want to learn more ways to create delicious meals quickly and easily.

If you live in the Bay Area, you’re in luck! Ramekins Culinary School in Sonoma offered an Instant Pot course last month and it was so popular they’re holding another again on March 3rd. The course is taught by my friend Chef Hollie Greene, whom I’ve talked about on the blog before.

I plan on attending and hope to see you there!

Disclosure: Affiliate links have been used in this post. Clicking on them may result in my earning commissions.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Juhli
    February 3, 2018 / 11:47 am

Wow, that painting really makes the room! And the neutrals for everything else make it the center of attention that it should be. Great moon photos too.

Author
      February 3, 2018 / 4:25 pm

Hi Juhli –

Doesn’t Kathy’s painting work perfectly in that room? I just adore it. The color scheme really works with all those neutral shades and I agree with you – it does make the painting the star of the show!
      Thank you for stopping by today, Juhli. Hope you are well!

2. Alison
    February 3, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Good morning! I don’t follow that many blogs, but most of the ones I follow don’t post on the weekend, so I especially look forward to your 7 for Saturday! Thank you for these posts.

Author
      February 4, 2018 / 9:24 am

Hi Alison,
      I am so glad to hear that! I look forward to writing my Saturday posts…they’re fun to put together.
      Have a great rest of your weekend and thank you for stopping by!

3. Jessica B.
    February 4, 2018 / 6:42 am

Your moon photos are so lovely! My husband and i are slowly getting into photography, too. He’s a lot more advanced than I am, as the technical stuff kind of goes in one ear and out the other for me at times. You mentioned that you have a mirrorless camera, and I’m wondering what the benefit of that is? We are getting ready to upgrade our Canon and debating if a mirrorless is the way to go.

So happy to hear that Sugarloaf is re-opened, cannot wait to see your photos.

Author
      February 4, 2018 / 9:34 am

Hi Jessica,

I can completely relate to you about the technical part of photography. I keep waiting for it to gel for me but it never does. I do know a few technical terms but for the most part, I go by instinct and just try a bunch of different settings until I get what I want.
      So it probably won’t come as a surprise when I say I don’t understand what mirrorless cameras do that’s different from DSLRs but they are much more compact than a DSLR – more like the size of a point and shoot – but they still use lenses. So you buy the body, then buy the lenses you want separately. If you live locally, see Pam at Shutterbug. She works in the Petaluma store and the Santa Rosa Ave store (at least this was accurate info last I went in there). I have the Olympus OMD and I bought it 2 years ago. They have a new one, that is $2K for the body (mine was about $900) but I bet it does a lot more than mine…it’s on my wishlist!
      Sugarloaf was beautiful yesterday but some areas were pretty badly damaged by the fires. It was shocking to see at first but I decided, instead of looking at it with sadness, I would pay more attention to the regrowth. Little ferns were popping up all over and soon there will be wild flowers. I can’t wait!
      Have a great rest of your Sunday, Jessica! Thank you for stopping by.

4. Rosemary
    February 5, 2018 / 4:34 am

The painting really “lifts” the decor in your guest bedroom. Definitely adds “wow factor” . Gorgeous colours.
    Thanks for mentioning “Woman in the window” it sounds riveting. I used to read such a lot but for various reasons I haven’t lately … I’m thinking I should put it on my kindle, ready for my next flight … always a good time to get engrossed in a book!
    The One Pot class sounds good … I’d go along if I was local … you seem to get lots of use from yours. I’ve always had a slow cooker but never a pressure cooker … I think I found the one my mum had when I was little, intimidating!
    As always I’m enjoying experiencing life in Sonoma through your words and great pictures!
    Have a good week Adrienne! Happy Monday!
    Rosemary

Author
      February 5, 2018 / 9:32 am

I agree! The paining is just what that room needed. I sort of wish the wall faced the other direction so you could see it better from the hallway and door but there is not much I can do about that.
      “The Woman in the Window” is so good! I am shipping my copy off to my mother today – she loves mystery novels.
      Having and Instant Pot has made cooking so much more fun and easier too. Less clean up as well, which Bill and I both appreciate – I cook, he washes dishes most of the time.
      Have a great week as well! I am excited to heading to St. Helena in Napa Valley for a couple of days with Bill. A pre-Valentines celebration!

• Rosemary
        February 5, 2018 / 10:02 am

I hope you both have a great time in the Napa Valley! Sounds wonderful! Enjoy the hiking … hope the weathers good.
        Only one pot to wash up sounds appealing! We’re like you … I cook and my husband washes up! I’m not always economical with the pans! 🙂

Author
          February 5, 2018 / 10:57 am

The weather is supposed to be perfect! We may even get some pool time in – the hotel has a relationship with a pool and fitness club next door.
          I can’t remember the last time I took a dip in a pool.

5. February 5, 2018 / 6:13 am

Such a great book – I love page turners and am so looking forward to the movie coming out. The painting looks great in your guest room.
    Great photos of the moon and it’s wonderful that you and Bill share that enthusiasm. I love these Saturday posts – they’re like a great chat.

Author
      February 5, 2018 / 9:29 am

I thought that book was so good. It flowed well and wasn’t overly far-fetched like some of the other books I have read in that same genre.
      Bill and I are getting ready to go to St. Helena in Napa Valley for a story on the town. We decided we would go hiking while we’re there which means taking photos! We are also going to be taking a tour of the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone…one of my favorite places to visit. Hopefully we can squeeze in some lunch and some food photos.
      I am so glad you enjoy the Saturday posts. I am happy I decided to do a weekly chatty post – it’s the little things and real life stuff that I like blogging about most. xo

6. February 10, 2018 / 1:31 am

That is a beautiful painting and you are right, the guestroom looks so nice. Your little succulents in the little pots… very nice.
    Our florist sells artificial plants as well as real plants. Such good fake I often am mistaken.
    The moon photos are awesome. Why don’t you use a tripod? That is for “a steady hand”. You can get them big and small. Ron and I started photography lessons as well. Unfortunately he doesn’t share my love for blog photos. So while I progressed (I had to), he stopped learning. Not knowing how the camera works gives us quite some disagreements haha.
    Greetje