Two Generations of Healthy Lifestyles: Clean Makeup

Two Generations of Healthy Lifestyles: Clean Makeup

Clean makeup products, that’s the topic Tori and I chose for our latest posts in our Two Generations of Healthy Lifestyles series. We are each featuring our top four favorite clean makeup items on our blogs.

Since our individual healthy lifestyles are focused not only on what we put in our bodies but what we put on our bodies, Tori and I have each been paying more attention to reading the labels on our makeup, skin care and hair care products lately. We are making an effort to be more selective about what we buy and choose to put on our skin.

I am slowly making the change from buying my makeup almost exclusively from the big name brands – Armani, Chanel, Dior – to purchasing cleaner products with fewer chemicals, artificial fragrances and toxins. Often this means I spend less money too!

I have used department store makeup since I started wearing makeup in high school. I admit I like the high end brands – the glamorous marketing, the cool packaging, the wide assortment of colors and tints and textures. So many of these products deliver results, yet are full of things I don’t want absorbed into my system.

The only way to find out if there were cleaner makeup options available that I would actually like was to start trying things. I began shopping for makeup products at Whole Foods a couple years ago. I trust Whole Foods to carry brands that support a healthy lifestyle – it takes a lot of the guesswork out of choosing brands.

Here are my top 4 favorite clean makeup items:

1 ~  Nourishing Mascara

Since getting lash extensions several weeks ago, I am not wearing mascara but that won’t last forever. At some point I will return to my au naturale lashes and will go back to using my favorite mascara by Mineral Fusion. I have been wearing this brand for about two years. It compares to the DiorLash I used to wear and is about half the cost.

If you check this mascara in the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, you will see it earned many 1s – the best rating EWG gives.

I find the wide brush helps apply the mascara evenly and gently and the argan oil softens my lashes. It doesn’t flake, clump or smudge. However, I buy their waterproof mascara. I don’t usually buy waterproof mascaras because they can be so hard to take off but Mineral Fusion’s waterproof mascara washes off with face cleanser.

2 ~ Can’t Beet This Lip and Cheek Stick

Tori turned me on to the Cocokind brand. It’s a natural and very clean skin care line with a budget-friendly price point.

While we were shopping at Whole Foods in Santa Rosa over the holidays, she showed me this great Cocokind product: Macabeet Tinted Moisture Stick. She told me it’s her favorite so I decided to buy one for myself. I am so glad I did. I love it!

I wear it both as a tinted lip balm and a moisturizing blush. I always carry it in my makeup bag or pocket while hiking, so I can swipe some on wherever I am.

I love its flattering deep burgundy tint that’s goes on light, not overpowering. Macabeet is chock full of organic ingredients – like beets! –  so it’s also healthy for my skin. It’s also free of fragrances which I always appreciate.

3 ~ My Perfect Lipstick

Warm reddish brown lipstick shades look best on me but the perfect shade is not easy to find, especially when limited to cleaner makeup brands. Thankfully Dr. Hauschka, a 50-year-old brand you may already be familiar with, has a new line of makeup complete with luxurious, soft lipstick that stays on and comes in a wide array of gorgeous shades.

The #14 Caralluma shade is so beautiful – it’s as if it was made for my skin tone. I love that the Dr. Hauschka brand is certified natural and the products are so nourishing to the skin. My lips feel incredibly  soft whenever I wear this lipstick.

4 ~ Soft and Natural Coverage

Finding a clean substitute for my much loved Giorgio Armani foundation was hard – so hard that I gave up and decided I would just keep wearing it but only when dressing up or having my photo taken.

Then I found out Dr. Hauschka makes a foundation as well as lipsticks and decided to give it a try. I chose the Almond shade which matches my skin tone well.

The foundation goes on so smooth and silky, just like a light moisturizer does. It’s not greasy or tacky and it doesn’t make my pores defined like some foundations. It contains mineral pigments, pomegranate, macadamia nut oil and coconut oil for hydration.

It won’t give you heavy coverage but it works great if you’re looking for light to medium coverage.

Be sure to stop by Tori’s blog to see what four clean makeup products she uses!

Disclosure: Affiliate links have been used in this post. Clicking on them may result in my earning small commissions but has no impact on the prices of products.

1. Kim
    February 12, 2018 / 1:17 pm

I finally got your blog post delivered to my inbox!!! Yeah!!! I subscribed many months ago, but was never able to receive your posts. I have been making the switch to healthier products too, mostly Beauty Counter products, but these are some good recommendations for products I haven’t tried! Thanks!

Author
      February 12, 2018 / 6:20 pm

Hi Kim,

Can you believe it? I finally figured it out! I can’t tell you how many times I went into my subscription service account trying to figure out what was wrong, only to give up.
      I have a few Beauty Counter products. I bought some lip gloss and coverup for under my eyes and to cover brown spots. I like their products but they are on the expensive side. But I don’t mind spending extra if it’s a good product and not full of chemicals.
      Do you have a favorite Beauty Counter product?
      Thanks for stopping by today, Kim!

2. Joanna
    February 12, 2018 / 2:34 pm

What a surprise to find your post in my inbox. I had a real difficult time trying to sign up, but here you are now.
    I have been trying natural products myself from a local store. It is not easy giving up your tried & true products that have worked for years. My skin thanks me and so does my pocketbook. Ha!
    I have to say your lash extensions look fantastic. Are they hard on your own lashes?

Author
      February 12, 2018 / 6:17 pm

Hi Joanna,

Would you believe my subscription service – that I pay for – has been disconnected from my blog for I don’t even know how long? Technical things like that make me crazy but I am feeling rather accomplished for figuring it out by myself.
      You are so right about it not being easy to give up your dependable high end makeup and skin care brands. I have long loved Giorgio Armani foundation – it just works so well with my skin – but all those chemicals has got me nervous. Now that I am eating better, have decreased my alcohol intake and am sleeping better, my skin looks good enough to go without foundation. I do still like to wear it when I dress up though.
      I love my lash extensions. They make life so easy and I feel glamorous at all times…even when I wake up in the morning! I do my best to take really good care of them and I don’t pick at them unless one has gone squirrelly on me. I have never kept them on this long so I’m not sure how many lashes of my own I will have once I stop. Bill’s son is getting married in April so I think I might want them for that – so I may be giving my lashes a break soon.

3. February 12, 2018 / 4:50 pm

ME TOO!!!!!!
    SIGNED UP YEARS AGO AND NOW HERE YOU ARE!!!!!!!
    MAGIC!!!
    YOU LOOK TERRIFIC……..I will give your mascara a try……..is that a Whole Foods one?

Author
      February 12, 2018 / 6:09 pm

Ha! Yes, I finally – after trying so many times – figured out how to connect my blog to my MailChimp account. It only took me 3 years!
      Yes, Mineral Fusion mascara is sold at Whole Foods. I love it!
      Hope you are well!

4. February 12, 2018 / 11:11 pm

I also got your mail now for the first time! Nice surprise!

Author
      February 13, 2018 / 9:27 am

Finally! It’s a long story but the short version is, I figured it out after trying way too many times. Tech stuff drives me nuts!
      Thanks for stopping by, Nancy. I hope you are doing great!

5. Rosemary
    February 13, 2018 / 4:39 am

Great post Adrienne! Like you, having made great changes to what I’m putting in my body, I’m starting to consider what I’m applying on it! … that can then be absorbed.
    I’ve looked at the Dr Hauschka range but I haven’t actually tried it … I seem to think they do a really good Rose moisturiser as well. Love your lipstick … that shade would suit me, so I’m going to look out for it … I particularly like the light, glossy texture.
    I’ve loved following your travels on Instagram …. hope you’re having a good week.
    I’ll be in touch soon!
    Rosemary xx

Author
      February 13, 2018 / 9:31 am

Hi Rosemary,

I used to use Dr. Hauschka skin care in my 30s but stopped for whatever reason – probably redirected to a brand and esthetician recommended.
      I love what I am currently using for skin care but I don’t know how clean it is….sort of afraid to find out!
      When I bought magnesium lotion a couple months ago, that’s when I started to really understand how things are absorbed into our bodies through our skin. It’s kind of scary. I may also be ditching some of my perfumes for the same reason – but one step at a time, right?
      Hope you are also having a great week! I can’t believe we are midway through February already. Yikes!

6. Rosemary
    February 13, 2018 / 6:16 am

You look beautiful btw 🙂

Author
      February 13, 2018 / 8:18 am

Thank you, Rosemary! So sweet of you to say.
      A

7. February 14, 2018 / 8:32 am

I’m going to try that mascara and lipstick. Both look beautiful and I love that they’re “clean”. Great post and thanks!

Author
      February 14, 2018 / 11:32 am

I love the Dr. Hauschka lipstick – feels so great on your lips. I want to get a lighter shade to wear for everyday as well.
      Happy Valentine’s Day! xo, A

8. February 15, 2018 / 8:12 am

Wow, here you are–great to have you in the ‘inbox’ finally !

Thanks for this post, as I just turned 60 and I vacillate between not wanting to bother with make-up and skin products at all, to wanting a little something that’s not full of junk or hideously expensive to brighten up the ‘age-related’ areas.

Author
      February 16, 2018 / 8:38 am

Hi Lorrie – Can you believe it took so long for me to get my email subscription act together? It’s downright embarrassing!

I wear less makeup now – at 50 – than I have since the grunge era in the 1990s. I often run errands with nothing except chapstick and moisturizer and don’t think a thing about it. The older I get, the less I want to fuss with myself and I loath dropping big bucks on products that do nothing, especially when they’re full of junky chemicals and strong perfumes.
      Thank you for stopping by, Lorrie!