Seven for Saturday

Seven for Saturday

Welcome to this week’s Seven for Saturday ☀️Let’s get right to it!

1 ~ Kiss Me, I’m Irish! 🍀🇮🇪🌈

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Bill and I won’t be joining the green-clad, beer drinking crowds at the pubs today but I will wear green and have homemade corned beef and cabbage because, unlike every St. Patty’s Day prior, I can say with full confidence, “Kiss me, I’m Irish”!

In the last year I have had both 23andMe and Ancestry.com DNA analyses (the latter a Christmas gift from my mother) and it turns out I am 42% Irish/Scottish/Welsh. Well, that was a surprise! All these years, I’ve been telling people I was not Irish or at least, with my murky knowledge about my ethnicity, I didn’t think I was. Other surprises include not being Italian like I thought I was and having Scandinavian ancestry.

How will you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Have you had a DNA ancestry test? If so, any surprises?

Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in Paris in 2013

2 ~ Floating Plans

A couple months ago my friend Michelle and I decided to try cryotherapy together. I wrote about our experience here. We had such a great time on that adventure, we decided to continue to trying new things together and have even given our outings a name: Michelle & Adrienne’s Excellent Adventures (a nod to Bill & Ted 😁).

Next week, we are going to Sebastopol to float in our own individual float spas. Commonly referred to – somewhat erroneously – as sensory deprivation tanks, these float spas are meant to help you relax the mind and body while also prompting areas of the brain that aren’t frequently used to become more active. I am both excited and a little nervous about our upcoming appointments. I don’t like small, confined spaces  – who does? – but refuse to let my anxiety about that suck the benefits and enjoyment out of the experience.

Have you ever tried float therapy? I would love to hear your thoughts on it if you have.

Photo credit: Theta Wave Float Spa

3 ~  Meeting a Fellow Forever Fierce Sister

In my next blog post, I will be sharing lots of highlights from last weekend’s Whole Foods Market Beauty Brunch. One of my favorite moments was getting to meet fellow Forever Fierce sister Karen Brooks of Wear With Passion.

Karen also lives in Sonoma County and also has a lifestyle, travel and fashion blog. She is so friendly and I love her style.

We hope to get together soon for lunch or coffee and get to know each other better. Be sure to check out Karen’s blog and Instagram for lots of inspiring content.

4 ~ Spring Booties

I ordered these off white woven booties and they arrived this week. I just love them! They are so comfortable and are the ideal warm weather shoe – a great alternative to sandals. Once our recent run of rainy days concludes and the puddles dry up, I will be wearing them tons with jeans, skirts and dresses.

5 ~ Thank you for the Mention!

It has been a long time since my blog was mentioned in “best of” list. I was thrilled to be included in Maria’s round up of Lifestyle and Fashion Blogs for Women Over 50 on her blog, Passionfruit, Paws and Peonies. I am in some very stylish and accomplished company!

Maria is an English lifestyle blogger and a dog lover like me. She offers lots of useful information for traveling in Europe and beyond, posts about being a woman in midlife, recipes and dog friendly guides. Spend some time on her blog, you won’t regret it!

6 ~ New Reasons to Eat Carbs

My keto diet has been kicked to the curb since discovering these two delicious businesses that have opened in Glen Ellen recently.

First, let me tell you about Les Pascals. It’s an authentic French patisserie owned by Chef Pascal and his wife Pascale. They from Lyon, France and moved to California in 2013, making Carmel home where they were co-owners of a bakery

Just last weekend, Les Pascals opened their darling bakery in Glen Ellen. By the time Bill and I stopped by the afternoon of their first day, they were almost cleaned out of goodies and there was a line out the door.

We managed to buy a dozen French macarons to take to a party – truly the best I have ever eaten and our friends agreed – a croissant on par with the best of France and a wonderful baguette.

I returned with my friend Elizabeth a few days later and enjoyed a latte with her at one of the adorable bistro tables. I bought an almond and a chocolate croissant to take home for Bill and I to enjoy the next morning with coffee. They did not even make it to dusk that day. We devoured them both!

Also new to Glen Ellen is Umbria. Elizabeth and I went to lunch there this week and I loved it so much, I urged Bill to go with me yesterday.

It’s located right next to Jack London Lodge in a beautiful space that over looks a creek. Julio, who had a successful restaurant by the same name in San Francisco for 23 years, owns Umbria.

He was there both times I visited this week and is welcoming, warm and charming. I love it when owners spend time in their restaurants talking to and checking in with their customers, don’t you?

So far I have tried their meatballs, a bianco pizza with prosciutto, arugula and fontina, the lasagna, and both tiramisu and cheesecake. Everything has been delicious! I recommend both Umbria and Les Pascals wholeheartedly.

7 ~ Spring Photography

I adore this time of year – early spring (almost) – for many reasons but mainly for all the nature and landscape photography opportunities. Puffy white clouds, dark skies, green hillsides, colorful sunrises and sunsets, and trees bursting with blossoms and leaves. I could take photos all day long if I had the time.

Earlier this week I was cooking dinner and noticed the sky was starting to turn pink and orange out my kitchen window. I quickly untied my apron, swiched off the oven and grabbed my camera. Bill and I headed a short distance up the road to a nearby mustard field/vineyard to get the best view of the evening light show. What a treat!

Then yesterday, I stepped outside my front door and this was the view: a partial rainbow dipping down into a neighbor’s vineyard. I am sure there was a pot o’ gold at the bottom!

Daisy and I wish you a happy St. Patrick’s Day! 🎩

Disclosure: Affiliate links have been used in this post. Clicking on them may result in my earning small commissions but has no impact on the prices of the products

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

1. March 17, 2018 / 2:37 pm

Such a fun post. In order, yes, I did the test – no surprise at all. 99.8% European Jew. I have never been in a floating isolation chamber but would love it I think – not claustrophobic at all. Love your Spring booties, and your photographs are spectacular. Going out tonight with friends who’re on a “cleanse” – welcome to LA and a wild St. Patrick’s Day evening.

Author
      March 18, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Hi Kathy, I actually thought – and hoped – my test would reveal I was part Jewish. I have been mistaken for Jewish so many times, I really thought I was. I do have 0.7% Ashkenazi Jewish DNA but that is such a negligible amount it hardly counts.
      I hope you had a fun St. Patrick’s Day. Bill’s corned beef turned out so delicious! No leftovers, we ate it all!

2. March 17, 2018 / 2:40 pm

It was such a pleasure to meet you in person my Forever Fierce sister! We will get together and I suggest we meet at one of these two places you write about. I am a fanatic about anything French especially croissants. Enjoy your day in Sebastopol. I’m sure it will be amazing. Happy St. Patty’s day…I’m part Irish as well. 🙂

Author
      March 18, 2018 / 1:34 pm

Hi Karen,

It was so fun to finally meet you in person. I am only sorry it took so long!
      Both places in Glen Ellen are so wonderful – would love to meet up at either place. Let’s touch base sometime this week and get a date on the calendar. Happy St. Patty’s Day (a day late)! I hope you had a great day however you celebrated! xo

3. Jacqueline
    March 17, 2018 / 3:32 pm

Yes, to the AncestryDNA test. Strange that so much information could come from a little spit test. Yes, a surprise. I was told all my life that we were part Cherokee, turns out Not A Drop, but the real surprise… Polynesian! Samoa/Tonga. Huh?! Where did that come from, or should I say Who did that come from?

Author
      March 18, 2018 / 1:24 pm

Hi Jacqueline,

It is so strange so much info can be extracted from a bit of saliva. I had the health test done with 23andMe as well and wow, so interesting! I didn’t realize that cilantro – liking it or loathing it – is genetic. I could never understand why some of my friends hated it so much and said it tasted like soap – now I know! It’s in the genes.
      Finding out you’re Polynesian when you thought you were Cherokee must have been white a shock! I was also told growing up that I had Native American blood but alas, not true for me either. There is still about 30% of my ethnic background that is generalized Northern European which could mean France, Germany, Iceland, Poland and so on.
      Thank you for stopping by!

4. March 17, 2018 / 4:22 pm

Oh wow those booties! it is such fun to find out your heritage from ages ago. I did that once too, very interesting. Have a great Sunday and enjoy more rainbows!

Author
      March 18, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Aren’t those booties so cute? One of these days I will be able to actually wear them outside of the house 😉
      I have a lot of mysteries as far as ethnicity goes in my family on both my mother and my father’s sides. Adoptions, fake last names and even affairs have made tracing my family tree a challenge. With my height I am surprised I am not Dutch!
      Thank you for stopping by, Nancy!

5. Rosemary
    March 20, 2018 / 2:35 am

Such a great 7 Adrienne and as usual, gorgeous photos! I’m laughing about your comment on carbs! I popped into my favourite coffee shop this morning and half way down my coffee realised I couldn’t resist a new cake they’ve introduced! Home made apple cider cake … it’s packed full of apples, sultanas and spices … so definitely healthy!! Also the macarons look delicious… my daughter brought me some back from France, for Mother’s Day … just perfect with champagne! Life’s good!! . Although the lbs have crept on as you may imagine… with Switzerland following Christmas etc
    Enjoy your floatation experience… I hope you can relax and not feel too enclosed. I’m not keen on MRI scanners etc but hopefully the warmth and the water will help.
    I’ve only recently read about the ancestry dna testing … fascinating!
    Love your booties … perfect for spring/summer and as you say, they’ll go with most things!
    Have a good day!
    Rosemary xx

Author
      March 20, 2018 / 9:12 am

Hi Rosemary,

It’s hard to resist delicious food – carbs or no carbs – but pasta, pizza and pastries get me every time!
      I like the macarons at Les Pascals because they aren’t super sweet. I have had several while visiting Paris from different bakeries and all were just too much for my palate.
      I am going to be floating tomorrow – hope it’s a pleasant and relaxing experience. Believe me, that door will be staying OPEN the entire time!
      I will report back in this week’s Seven for Saturday.
      Hope you are having a great week and happy spring! xo